Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Inc is genius. Somehow they've managed to get all of you guys (I don't think there are any women test pilots on the forum) to put miles on the latest beta programs and do it for free! Worse than for free - they made you pay?! I'm really surprised nobody has gotten into a crash. Stay safe people. Thank you for putting it through the ropes. I'm looking forward to getting FSD, but not until the forums and YouTube videos are raving about it (in a good way).
And it is probably not a coincidence between very few, if any, women beta testers and the common experience of wives putting the kibosh on FSD while they are in the car. What that says about men and women is left for the reader to decide.
My wife also thinks I’m nuts to have it on our two cars. When I bought it during the “sale” in 2019 it seemed like a good move ($5k for AP/FSD and $7k for EAP/FSD) and I think time has proven me right, at least in terms of cost.

Well said and pretty much my perspective. For many it’s an all or nothing evaluation. Not saying those points aren’t valid just that they are only focused on the thing it had trouble with and skipping past the hundreds of things it did well. Yes I too occasionally touch the accelerator at certain points and even disengage if I feel this might be a challenge (like road construction) but overall the continued development in this incredible problem to solve is rather impressive. Completely Understand my view is biased as I bought my car right at the starting point of FSD while others did so Many years prior so they have Every right to be jaded or angry by progress and rightfully so. I am blown away ever time I get in this car and it takes me to my destination often Hundreds of miles away with barely a few confirmation type (touch pedal etc) interactions.

I would further Thank the few contributions on this forum that provide Educated feedback and share that knowledge. Now that I have a good understanding of the dozen or so “shills” with an agenda or never Had or used FSDb I am able to filter to those contributing vs other.
Well said also, and I have to mention that the "Shill" debate on these threads has been quite entertaining! 👍 Even though like many things we say are off topic or OT. (I thought that meant over time until last week!) Staying OT, I had family in town last week. They were quite impressed with the "Tesla Cam" and all it's features.
After their first drives in an EV, they have renamed it "Gap Cam" and asked why I don't record every time and ICE tries to have a go with a Tesla....

Just posted but not much activity yet on TeslaFi or Teslascope.

1654374825857.png

I'm generally a lurker but after this update I've got to post that I see a lot of improvement with FSDb! There are so many variables- is it location? The weather? Sun angle? Are people more inclined to write when FSD doesn't work properly? How many people are disinclined to write but only post "likes", like me? Last couple days, here in Annapolis, 10.12.2 is a big improvement. Sure, I'm still disengaging, but that's more because I don't want to infuriate other (highly impatient) drivers. I still have my problem areas and I know to take over in advance, but yesterday I actually told my wife she might notice an improvement- that's saying something!

You inspired me to post also 😊. I agree! This update has been a huge improvement for my area as well (IL/MO). It is handling back roads around our subdivision so much better. It used to be capped. around 28 mph, now it works as you would expect. Turns, our subdivision island, and proceeding through our stop signs is much better (still some room for improvement though). This morning I had to run to Menards that was 25 miles away with 50% interstate and 50% city. I only had 1 disengagement in the 50 mile trip. it just seems much more capable. I have been in beta since Oct 2021. Most of the updates have been hard to tell much difference. This one seems huge in my area.

Waiting for my new MYP to get beta, this latest tweet is vague and not definitive if he means new cars or the existing fleet... Hoping for new cars since I have a 100 score to get let back in.
I'm hopeful it's new cars. It seems weird to tweet that it's going to existing cars given that the entire current FSD fleet is on 10.12.2 according to TeslaFi. Also, no one was asking about existing cars lol.

I'm generally a lurker but after this update I've got to post that I see a lot of improvement with FSDb! There are so many variables- is it location? The weather? Sun angle? Are people more inclined to write when FSD doesn't work properly? How many people are disinclined to write but only post "likes", like me? Last couple days, here in Annapolis, 10.12.2 is a big improvement. Sure, I'm still disengaging, but that's more because I don't want to infuriate other (highly impatient) drivers. I still have my problem areas and I know to take over in advance, but yesterday I actually told my wife she might notice an improvement- that's saying something!
People’s natural tendency is to focus on what‘s wrong more than what’s right. On a certain level that makes sense, since the problems are what you need to work on but it also tends to make things seem more negative.

The variability has always been present. I’m sure it frustrates the FSD programmers even more than it does people here. People have theories, but a lot of it is difficult to explain. My general take is that overall it’s a slight improvement with some things getting better and others a bit worse. The nuance to that is that the things that are worse should be easier to fix. Example - many people have posted that FSD is now more confident but actually borders on aggressive. Ok, so it’s not necessarily better, just different. Except the part that got better was the part that needed more work to achieve. Having the confidence to safely turn across 2 lanes of traffic requires significant judgement. Doing it at the right time but too aggressively not great but it’s easier to fix than figuring out the judgement component.

So even though I’m not blown away by this release I still see progression and improvement in the algorithms.

I don't think its a mapping or resolution issue. I believe this is a case that requires some higher level training to be able to better infer the reason for a car ahead to be stopped.

As a human driver, you have learned to look ahead as you approach a stopped car to see if it is at the the end of a string of cars. If so, you conclude that the car is waiting for an obstruction to proceed to be cleared (a train, red light, accident, etc). You likely saw some indication of the line of cars before you were pulled up behind the end of the line.

The car seems not to have sufficient NN training to determine this yet. So, the planning sometimes gets it wrong and likely decides that you are behind a disabled or parked car and attempts to go around. In this case, the railroad crossing may have been occluded from the cameras so all the car knew at the time was that there is one stopped car ahead of it.

You can see a related effect by watching the visualization while your are stopped a few cars back at a busy intersection. You'll see cross traffic cars appear and disappear on the screen. Tesla needs to improve this by developing a capability to infer the presence of a vehicle after it has become occluded. Once this occurs, they can leverage that to infer that the last car in a line at a railroad crossing is part of a line of cars, even if the other cars have become occluded.

You can't just use a map to conclude a car several car lengths back from a railroad crossing is waiting on a train. It could be a disabled or parked vehicle that just happens to be near the crossing.

This issue has improved over the last few releases, at least it has in my experience. But, it still needs work.

I agree but I don't think that's enough. I think there is already some path continuity prediction of other moving users for intersections.

I think one input element into the neural network would still need to be "is a railroad crossing coming up on my route?" and at the moment that has to be provided by mapping. Humans use this as well---a person who knows the area and meets a stopped car will wait if there's a rail crossing ahead vs someone who knows nothing, and at the moment the nets are nearly 100% amnesiac.

"Once this occurs, they can leverage that to infer that the last car in a line at a railroad crossing is part of a line of cars, even if the other cars have become occluded."

Maybe but that's very hard to train, like in this current case the truck was blocking all view, there's no way to know if the cars ahead had already gone or not while occluded. In other cases, this will give many false positives and the computer will erroneously stop itself in traffic behind another truck and never move, causing a further backup.

BTW the radar bouncing under one car to the next one ahead could have helped here.