Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning will never be in NN for this reason. It needs to take inputs from NN and make decisions. One of those would be based on the map and navigation.

Well they're going to neural networks for planning anyway, but these will take in distilled perception net inputs plus other inputs. I think they're rediscovering what all the other auto driving systems have found over the years, the planning is extremely difficult.

Tesla I think has very good visual perception but is well behind all the others (who use direct detection plus vision) in planning, as the competition had many years to work on it without having to fully solve the hard visual perception problem.

Current hardware is very inadequate for any L4: there are already visual blind spots (why there is no 360 view) close to the car. Personally I think they need 360 around in stereo, plus 77 GHz imaging radar to have any chance of passing a regulator.

The standard for a L4 for paying non-driving passengers (like children) would be more like 999 people of a thousand would never have need a safety disengagement in the lifetime their own their car.

Been waiting for beta since I picked up in late December. Went out to the MYP and didn’t see an update. Since it wouldn’t connect to Wi-Fi I went ahead and did a steering wheel reboot (after also toggling the standard and advanced software setting).

After reboot, beta started downloading automatically. So glad to be done with the safety score game

The biggest change I've seen in 2022.12.3.20 is the navigation system no longer has the same route to work from my home. Before it always wanted me to take a unprotect left, but now it avoids the street that leads me to the unprotected left. Instead it has me taking a left before that onto another road, and if I don't take that it has to me going the way I normally go to get to a controlled left.

They completely cured it of its obsession with the road with the unprotected left onto a 45mph multi-lane road.

What they didn't cure FSD Beta of is the obsessive need to turn on the turn signals in situations where you don't turn the turn signals on like going through an intersection going straight.

So it remains unusable for me.

Reactions: black knight 3
Congratulations to all our new beta testers!! Welcome to the butt clinch society.
My only advice is from Tesla's original email that they apparently don't send anymore. I'm paraphrasing, but it said something akin to "the car can do the worst thing at the worst possible time" , so enjoy and can't wait to hear aome fresh perspectives..

Congratulations to all our new beta testers!! Welcome to the butt clinch society.
My only advice is from Tesla's original email that they apparently don't send anymore. I'm paraphrasing, but it said something akin to "the car can do the worst thing at the worst possible time" , so enjoy and can't wait to hear aome fresh perspectives..
That message came up on the screen when I turned fsd beta on.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Just got FSD beta 10.12.2 (firmware version 2022.12.3.20) from a non-FSD version 2022.12.3.3. 100% safety score over the last 2 weeks and ~300 miles.

I'm one of those who had FSD beta between October and December, then opted out as I didn't see much progress at all across the multiple FSD beta version I received, and got annoyed with the 80mph AP limit (I think I can deal with 85mph, let's see).

This is timely as I have a track event at Laguna Seca soon and was dreading having the safety score tank again.. (apparently being in Track Mode still counts, weirdly).

- “yeah, this version has a lot of phantom braking and a lot of problems driving safely. I have to constantly keep my foot hovering over the brake because it creeps into intersections and the other foot hovering over the accelerator to prevent getting rear ended due to Phantom braking.

In some ways it is like this, but if this is your expectation (which it always has been), it’s not quite as bad as you make it out to be. To be clear, FSD is not currently useful and it very likely slightly increases collision risk, but it sure is entertaining (if you like that sort of thing) and it’s kind of a game of skill to prevent any misbehavior with an override before it makes a mistake. If it starts to do something I wouldn’t do, or I am fairly sure it is going to fail, I just disengage. Keeps it fun. No one wants to be that person driving like garbage.

and also hear the crossing gate bells or train itself.

Car probably does need to use microphone in the car if it is sensitive enough. People often use their ears to drive, it is moderately important.

Tesla needs to improve this by developing a capability to infer the presence of a vehicle after it has become occluded.

It’s worse than a goldfish (which are apparently unfairly maligned). No object permanence at all. No apparent memory. This is part of the reason it is so much slower than a human at reacting, I think. Part of the reason.

Got a couple of quick runs in on an errand on 10.11.2, recorded them for posterity for myself, and then finally installed the update.

The runs on 10.11.2 were quite bad (let it do some things I would normally never allow), so I thought it should be easy for 10.12 to do better.

I did my runs on 10.12. Not really any noticeable differences at all.

Stopping/going: hesitation stops continue, no smoothness improvements since prior version, don’t understand why it is so hard to stop smoothly. Noticed some juddering of acceleration on the highway, which may have been new, but mild. There was no evidence of improved acceleration from stops that I could detect. Still lots of accelerator application (I made sure to give it a chance first, since pedal override can stop it from accelerating). As usual the car was very bad at quickly getting up to the set speed, it is mysterious that this is also still a problem. Takes a long time. Should be aggressive & silky smooth acceleration to the set speed when there is no traffic around.

Turning: seemed ok, but on prior version it usually seemed ok to me (one place there has been some improvement - to be clear, much more improvement needed). I would expect based on past experience that it sometimes will not be ok but I just haven’t seen it yet.

Lots of interventions, lots of accelerator overrides. No noticeable differences on the weird lines it takes on the unmarked neighborhood streets. Failed on the unprotected left, had a chance to go but did not. Had to back up since it was too far to the left and potentially blocking turning vehicles. (This is normal since the first version.) I’ll try again to see if there is any evidence of more aggressive acceleration; would expect to notice that here but everything has to be perfect with no traffic in order to have it make the turn, so takes some luck.

Overall nothing special that I could notice in the first ~10 miles of driving. With more driving maybe some elements that are different will show up, but seems doubtful.

Got it all on video but probably won’t bother posting. Will take a couple more videos just in case anything interesting happens. We’ll see.

No issues with aborts or any strikes or anything close, either. Seems normal; I am just driving around steering and accelerating like normal and if FSD happens to match my driving, it stays engaged. Otherwise, single-ding disengagement, followed by quick tap up of the stalk to get the secondary “downward-ding” tone.

Last edited:
Ugh my DSL hates me. Started the download on Wednesday. It never finished so when my car computer restarted it said the upgrade failed and to wait for the next FW push. Now I am going through FOMO. 😭

It might be worth calling Tesla to see if they can push the update again. It worked for me!

I don't know if it was a connection issue, but when I received the update a few days ago, it failed. I'd never had an update fail and didn't know what to expect after that, so I waited a day or two to see if it would be sent out again. After receiving nothing, I decided to try calling Tesla, because I didn't like the "Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car" part of the message. The rep told me that it would be 2-3 weeks to send the update again, which sounded crazy to me. But I don't know how their system works, so I didn't question it. However, I just received the update a few hours ago and it installed without issue this time! It's been a while since I had an update (I was on 10.11.2) and this one seemed to take pretty long, maybe 45 minutes.

Tesla Inc is genius. Somehow they've managed to get all of you guys (I don't think there are any women test pilots on the forum) to put miles on the latest beta programs and do it for free! Worse than for free - they made you pay?! I'm really surprised nobody has gotten into a crash. Stay safe people. Thank you for putting it through the ropes. I'm looking forward to getting FSD, but not until the forums and YouTube videos are raving about it (in a good way).
And it is probably not a coincidence between very few, if any, women beta testers and the common experience of wives putting the kibosh on FSD while they are in the car. What that says about men and women is left for the reader to decide.
It’s still a very useful quality of life improvement for me. I used to use TACC on my Volt all the time even on surface streets because I enjoyed letting the car handle the minutia of keeping pace with the car in front of me. I of course was always really to hit the gas or the brake if the car wasn't acting properly Or was taking too long to do something. I did the same with AP with my 3, except I also got to let the car handle the minutia of staying within the lane lines as well (always staying ready blah blah blah). FSD Beta is just another nice step forward where I can let the car handle the minutia of most of the drive now. I have to intervene a lot (hitting the go pedal when it’s taking it’s sweet time, tapping the brake when I’m not comfortable with how far it’s trying to creep, taking over when it’s doing something wrong, etc) but it’s still doing most things while I just supervise and stay alert.

I had some fun sitting in a decently busy parking lot yesterday night just watching the screen and seeing what the car was displaying. I was pretty impressed with how much it was showing and was pretty surprised at how well it tracked dimly lit people a couple of lanes away way off to the side of the car. Still super annoying that the display snaps back to the original orientation so quickly now after I remove my finger. I liked having a couple of seconds like it was before and would have preferred it to remain in the changed orientation for longer, as opposed to them shortening it.

Reactions: RabidYak