Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to state one thing positive, since I have been a whiney complaining little b*tch since I joined fsd beta in October about this one issue. Many of you long timers in these fsd forums have heard me complain about this many times. My neighborhood has a 35 mph 1 mile stretch after turning off my street to get to a main road. During that 1 mile, fsd would phantom brake at least 5 to 7 times. Which means I have hit the report button 100's of times since October. It didn't matter what time of day it was. However, and I held back the last few days to not jinx it, there are no phantom brakes for the whole way now in either direction. If everything else is still not perfect, they got 1 thing right at least for me on this release... I will take a deep breath now and wait to complain later 😊 🙂
I have had a similar experience on a 1/2 mile stretch of road where not only would FSD phantom break 5-10 times each direction but FSD would never even reach 30mph the regular speed limit. Didn't matter if I tried increasing the speed. All fixed in 10.12.2.

I got in today at 99 who here has the lowest any 95s in today's new comers?
I got it today too, this was my first install of beta. I had been maintaining a 99 or 100 score for a few months, but had recently dropped to 96 and have been trying to grandma my drives to get it back up. It was still 96 on the last drive today before the beta notification.

My first drives on beta were quite good, but i am seeing more false slow downs than previously with AP.

One issue I deal with in my area is route number signs that are falsely interpreted as speed limits. Routes 25 and 35 are both 50 mph roads, but the car slows after going by them. Beta still misinterprets them, but it allows the speed to be bumped up by more than 5 mph over the speed limit, so I don't have to hold the throttle to override it.

Congratulations to all the new testers. Just a few items to be aware of on your initial drives if you don't follow the threads closely
  • FSD assumes right on red and ignores any signs that say otherwise
  • Beware of potholes since they are not avoided
  • Speed bump recognition. My experience is less than 50% are visualized by FSD with the car slowing. Doesn't matter if they are marked or not where I live.
  • Doesn't understand school zones so it won't slow down regardless of signage
  • Doesn't recognize school buses so be careful since FSD might decide to pass the bus when stopped
  • Roundabouts. 10.12.2 has changed the behavior for many roundabouts but not all. Until 10.12.2 FSD would always come to a complete stop even if the roundabout was empty. Just be aware some roundabouts still follow this behavior so be aware of cars expecting you to enter the roundabout.
  • Accelerator pedal can be your best friend and will definitely help smooth the drive.
  • FSD is a learning experience and after time you will lean how best to use it. Don't rush to judgement. Give yourself a couple of weeks, at least. It just takes time to learn how FSD fits your style of driving.
I'm sure others can add to the list.

Just did a 20min test on the FSD Beta for the first time in my area. It definitely felt like the 10th driving lesson I gave to my son a while back. 😅

- It accelerated faster than I typically do, but I can get used to that. It also brakes harder.
- It cornered surprisingly well, both left and right. With or without traffic. Once, we were on the left turn with 2-lanes. A car was turning exactly on my right side. I was really nervous but it worked out ok.
- On the way back, it decided to go full speed, then near the turn, did TWO lane changes very quickly and turned right... Yup, exactly like my son's 10th driving lesson! 😆
- It makes small corrections here and there where I don't feel it was needed. It's a quick twitch type of correction.
- There were some pylons on the road in construction areas. It applied brake quite hard. I would have detected it earlier and try to change lane.

My own error too - I felt too nervous so I unintentionally held the wheel too hard and shut it down. Two times.

Also, on the very first right turn, I was nervous about the car making the turn without hitting the incoming car, so I didn't pay attention to holding the wheel, and it turned itself off... I had to stop at a parking lot, park the car, then start the process again to gain FSD.

Overall, today was more fun than yesterday.

That's it for now.

Did a handful of drives today after getting in with a 99 score. Some things that surprised me:

- Going the speed limit (usually 25mph) on residential streets feels way too fast for me. Not FSD's fault, but I didn't realize I tend to drive so slowly around my neighborhood.
- Had a handful of left turns at intersections with two turn lanes where the car crossed over into the other turn lane halfway through. Not sure if it would have done that if another car was there, but it made me basically disengage at every future left turn.
- Doing a full stop at stop signs is annoying. It takes too long to hit 0mph and does it too far back. Thanks NHTSA!
- I am so happy to finally not have to confirm green lights or deal with the super slow acceleration that "normal" AP has when a red light turns green.
- When the car executes a turn perfectly and hits the gas as it straightens out is such a great feeling.

Overall, FSD beta is exactly what I expected - feels like I'm living in the future AND babysitting a 16 year old driver at the same time. Pretty fun experience

Congratulations to all the new testers. Just a few items to be aware of on your initial drives if you don't follow the threads closely

I'm sure others can add to the list.
Am I the only one that wishes FSD (beta) would slow down for dips/drain channels in the roads? Even if it's only doing say 35mph, you sure can feel them when it doesn't slow for the dip.
It's the kind you'd normally slow down if you see one in the road ahead.

I have had a similar experience on a 1/2 mile stretch of road where not only would FSD phantom break 5-10 times each direction but FSD would never even reach 30mph the regular speed limit. Didn't matter if I tried increasing the speed. All fixed in 10.12.2.
Unfortunately I’ve had a significant number of phantom braking events. Perhaps more than before but enough to say there’s no real improvement. :/

One thing I noticed today that I’m super happy about: they restored the ability to change your speed to the speed limit (plus whatever your offset is set to) by tapping the speed limit sign on the screen. Yes! I was pretty annoyed when they took that away since there were times I would scroll the speed down for a variety of reasons and I really missed being able to just quickly tap the speed limit sign instead of having to scroll the speed all the way back up.

Did a handful of drives today after getting in with a 99 score. Some things that surprised me:

- Going the speed limit (usually 25mph) on residential streets feels way too fast for me. Not FSD's fault, but I didn't realize I tend to drive so slowly around my neighborhood.
- Had a handful of left turns at intersections with two turn lanes where the car crossed over into the other turn lane halfway through. Not sure if it would have done that if another car was there, but it made me basically disengage at every future left turn.
- Doing a full stop at stop signs is annoying. It takes too long to hit 0mph and does it too far back. Thanks NHTSA!
- I am so happy to finally not have to confirm green lights or deal with the super slow acceleration that "normal" AP has when a red light turns green.
- When the car executes a turn perfectly and hits the gas as it straightens out is such a great feeling.

Overall, FSD beta is exactly what I expected - feels like I'm living in the future AND babysitting a 16 year old driver at the same time. Pretty fun experience
Had a couple drives myself. Almost exactly the same sentiments. Really interesting.

One thing I noticed today that I’m super happy about: they restored the ability to change your speed to the speed limit (plus whatever your offset is set to) by tapping the speed limit sign on the screen. Yes! I was pretty annoyed when they took that away since there were times I would scroll the speed down for a variety of reasons and I really missed being able to just quickly tap the speed limit sign instead of having to scroll the speed all the way back up.
I wonder if there’s a way to do this on a Model S since the speed limit is shown on a non-touchscreen instrument cluster display.

Is there an FSD-specific online manual that describes the operation of the vehicle when running FSD beta versions?

Have to give my initial impression. Drove probably 10-15 miles around suburban areas. Generally well marked lines and curbs.

- Overall really impressed. You watch the videos, but it’s another thing to be in the car and feel it happening. No “OH $#!+” moments, but def more on edge!
- It can get disconcertingly close to curbs… disengaged once for that.
- It jumps to your set speed in neighborhoods, I.e. when starting off. Way too fast.
- Hit the brakes when coming up to a left turn across traffic. Car was slowing down, but it turned the wheel in with lots of oncoming traffic. Probably would have stopped, but it’ll take time to get a feel for how FSDb drives.
- Seriously love how much better FSDb is at going from a stop at a red. Regular AP is soooo slow on the uptake in comparison. And not having to acknowledge every green light, so good.

Edit:
-Forgot about how it did slow down for some (admittedly huge) speed bumps in my neighborhood. They did not show on the display, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty1
Few more drives; overall on average it’s better than 10.11.2 for me due to its added confidence in many situations, but often this confidence is misplaced.

* Stops short of some intersections with or without pedestrians, definitely a regression. With pedestrians it brakes hard even when it can see them from far away. This was better in one of the earlier versions but seems to have gotten worse again.

* Not FSD beta specific but it tried to stop for traffic control (stop sign?) on the freeway twice; it was anticipating the stop so I’m not sure what happened. I thought it might’ve been a confused GPS but then it happened on the way back. Not sure if the same spot. It even drew a stop line.

* Suicidal behavior turning right onto my street. Out of the last 3 drives, the first two it aimed directly at the parked car on the right, and tonight it made a sane decision to use the middle of the road on the narrow street, but suddenly decided to make a left into a neighbors driveway (???) a few houses down. I did see it draw a path around the parked car the first 2 times, however it showed no signs of leaving adequate room and it was accelerating, so both times I used the brake to disengage before it had a chance to hit the car and turned manually with just barely enough room. The 3rd time I was watching it to see if it would aim at the parked car again (it did not) but then it drew a clear path turning left for no reason.

* It does finally accelerate with enough enthusiasm most of the time, especially making unprotected lefts; however sometimes it switches from uncertainty to acceleration far too abruptly. At one left turn on a yellow light it did the right thing of waiting for pedestrians to clear the path, however after accelerating hard it braked hard as It crossed the crosswalk. Lots of nudging with the accelerator pedal as a result.

* I saw someone else mention this with a vehicle crossing their path, but I noticed the same behavior twice with a car turning right in front of me - the beta seems to want to come to a complete stop before proceeding every time.

Reactions: 2101Guy