Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we had the wide, release, here is the final chart. Took 52 days from last major release.

The question is - if this is the level of change we can see after nearly 2 months, how can Tesla reach human level driving in 6 more months i.e. 3 more releases?

View attachment 811808
You forgot - those are Elon months - that’s 5 years in people years!

Reactions: 2101Guy
I don’t recall which truck it was but what I saw the other day was the truck had something like FIFTEEN cameras.

Certainly blows Tesla out of the water. That said I don’t know the mount locations and certainly at least some of those cameras are intended for assisting with towing, especially oversized like large boats, horse trailers, third wheels and the like.
There’s a balance to be struck. The more cameras you have, the more data you have to process and having too much data can be as bad or worse than not enough data.

The advantage of placing the cameras on the B pillars vs the A pillars or by the front turn signals is they are Less likely to get splattered or otherwise obstructed. Placing a camera at the nose of the car is a recipe for failure in any northern state that gets snow.

I agree. Having a blind spot in front of the car is a really bad and dangerous design. Having to creep into the intersection to see is a disaster waiting to happen. Doesn't that seem obvious?
The MAIN problem is fixed cameras. We have our "cameras" mounted on a rotating, swiveling, tilting and movable jib. A fixed position is stuck and must rely on the entire car moving while we manage to "find a way" to see.

I have a question for you guys who have been on FSD Beta for a while.

I ( and especially my wife) feel that the current version corners way too fast (my wife goes "Ack" almost every time! lol). Has this been like this for a while, or is this a more recent behaviour?

Does speed of cornering change from version to version significantly?
It was worse before.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Anyone else have issues of the car trying to drive itself into these green posts that separate bike lanes?

Screenshot_20220606-074110_Telegram.jpg

The repeater refers to the turn signals on the sides of the car, toward the front. They "repeat" the turn signals in the traditional head/tail light positions.

The repeater cameras are housed below the blinker and are angled more backwards. They check blind spots, but they can also help with cross traffic if the car is angled enough toward the turn.

Ideally there should be overlap between b-pillar camera (which are angled forward) and the repeater camera. and according to Tesla's infographic, there is:

View attachment 813143

but b-pillar camera range (Forward Looking Side Camera) is only 80m. repeaters (Rearward Looking Side Cameras) are 100m.
Perhaps the forward looking side cameras need to have a longer max distance, like 150 m, to help with cross traffic predictions.

Question for long-time users of FSD Beta (which I just received over the weekend).....I noticed a change on my morning commute while on the interstate (so theoretically the AP/NoA stack). Before installing beta, anytime I was on the interstate on AP/NoA, my speed wouldn't generally change as I would pass through areas with changes in the speed limit. It would show the updated/correct speed limit on the display, but not update my travel speed. I typically had my offset set to 10+, and the only time my car would slow down would be as I went through a construction area (which actually has a new route/lane), or as I went through an interchange from one interstate to another.

However, on my first commute with Beta, it would actually drop my speed on the interstate for each change in the speed limit....something it didn't do for the last 6 months I have owned the car. Curious if that meant my AP/NoA just wasn't working correctly, or if this was a change with Beta.

and lastly, I really wish they made the speed offset selection separate for AP/NoA and FSD. In other words, it would be nice to drive the speed limit on FSD, but have an offset of 10mph while on NoA/AP (which is still slow compared to most cars driving in Atlanta). On my first FSD beta drive, I activated it in my gated neighborhood.....which it thought my speed limit was 35 (or set the speed to 45 with my +10 offset), however, posted limit was 15. It gave me a good scare as it sped up so quickly towards the closed gate and showed zero signs of stopping.

This was an odd one driving home from an errand. In FSD, we came to a 4-way stop at a small, simple intersection--single lanes all around, no turn lanes, etc. We were supposed to turn left. Mine was the only car--totally clear otherwise. We stopped, crept a bit, and then went ahead. It got just about halfway through the turn, aiming well for the new lane, and FSD just shut down, leaving the car stopped in the middle of the intersection at 45 degrees. Weird. No idea why it bailed. It's an easy intersection, and there were no challenges from other traffic, since there was none. Yep, I sent it in.

On the plus side with 10.12, I notice the visualization is showing cars much farther ahead than it used to. Little bitty guys way out there. This is a nice confidence booster, since I've often felt in the past that it was making silly decisions that a real driver wouldn't based on seeing what's going on further down the road.

I really wish they made the speed offset selection separate for AP/NoA and FSD. In other words, it would be nice to drive the speed limit on FSD, but have an offset of 10mph while on NoA/AP
Just create an FSD driver profile and switch to it when you wanna use FSD. You can turn off FSD in the normal profile and set the speed offset as you like, then when you wanna use it switch to that profile that goes at the speed limit and uses FSD.

I have a question for you guys who have been on FSD Beta for a while.

I ( and especially my wife) feel that the current version corners way too fast (my wife goes "Ack" almost every time! lol). Has this been like this for a while, or is this a more recent behaviour?

Does speed of cornering change from version to version significantly?
From a stop or when moving ?

From a stop it used to turn too fast - and has now slowed down. I'd say its almost ok now.

When driving, it definitely corners faster than I do. But some claim it is too slow .... They need to dial it down for "chill" profile, atleast.

From a stop or when moving ?

From a stop it used to turn too fast - and has now slowed down. I'd say its almost ok now.

When driving, it definitely corners faster than I do. But some claim it is too slow .... They need to dial it down for "chill" profile, atleast.
Just got Beta this weekend.
Does the Chill FSD setting has the same acceleration speed?
Any noticable real-life changes between these three FSD profiles?

Question for long-time users of FSD Beta (which I just received over the weekend).....I noticed a change on my morning commute while on the interstate (so theoretically the AP/NoA stack). Before installing beta, anytime I was on the interstate on AP/NoA, my speed wouldn't generally change as I would pass through areas with changes in the speed limit. It would show the updated/correct speed limit on the display, but not update my travel speed. I typically had my offset set to 10+, and the only time my car would slow down would be as I went through a construction area (which actually has a new route/lane), or as I went through an interchange from one interstate to another.

However, on my first commute with Beta, it would actually drop my speed on the interstate for each change in the speed limit....something it didn't do for the last 6 months I have owned the car. Curious if that meant my AP/NoA just wasn't working correctly, or if this was a change with Beta.

and lastly, I really wish they made the speed offset selection separate for AP/NoA and FSD. In other words, it would be nice to drive the speed limit on FSD, but have an offset of 10mph while on NoA/AP (which is still slow compared to most cars driving in Atlanta). On my first FSD beta drive, I activated it in my gated neighborhood.....which it thought my speed limit was 35 (or set the speed to 45 with my +10 offset), however, posted limit was 15. It gave me a good scare as it sped up so quickly towards the closed gate and showed zero signs of stopping.

There’s definitely some small changes to highway AP that I’m noticing but by far the biggest change is the visualization volume and accuracy.

Pre-FSD it would only show a few vehicle around and they would flash in and out a bit so it was hard being confident in the viz. Now I think I could pretty much drive my car with horse racing blinders on and only using the viz. The renders of all the cars on the freeway are so incredibly accurate and stable now that I could actually use it for reference while driving.

There’s definitely some small changes to highway AP that I’m noticing but by far the biggest change is the visualization volume and accuracy.

Pre-FSD it would only show a few vehicle around and they would flash in and out a bit so it was hard being confident in the viz. Now I think I could pretty much drive my car with horse racing blinders on and only using the viz. The renders of all the cars on the freeway are so incredibly accurate and stable now that I could actually use it for reference while driving.
Visualization is definitely a plus on 10.12. I've struggled to use this build because some basic issues that weren't present for me in 10.11 have made me lose confidence in using it (vs me driving). My car approaches intersections way to fast if there's a slightly obstructed stop sign. By my house, there's a 40mph road that goes to a T junction - the car basically goes from 40 to 0 in like two seconds right before the intersection. I'm also getting erratic left turn behavior - wheel jerking, abrupt stop and go where I'm worried it may turn into a car in oncoming traffic. Hopefully I'm in the minority of folks experiencing this behavior.