Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two failure cases for me — consistent from the previous release.

1. Left turn from the second lane goes wide and would collide with opposite left turn lane cars.

2. Car hugs the right lane marker instead of the divider and drives into an unmarked right turn lane then curves back after it crosses the street.
5A6A91B6-DB8D-42D8-9353-757E7327509E.jpeg

D574FF22-C762-4E85-B13D-46D216301AF1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
From a stop or when moving ?

From a stop it used to turn too fast - and has now slowed down. I'd say its almost ok now.

When driving, it definitely corners faster than I do. But some claim it is too slow .... They need to dial it down for "chill" profile, atleast.
From a stop, turning either left or right. Stop to straight forward seems ok, for some reason.

So what we have now is a slowed down version? 😅

Still too fast for me.

Last edited:
From a stop, turning either left or right. Stop to straight forward seems ok, for some reason.

So what we have now is a slowed down version? 😅

Still too fast for me.
Couple of items seem to affect the turn - one of them is the speed of the cross-road. Faster it is - I guess the car wants to get into speed quickly to avoid being hit. Second is the space available i.e. the lane width. Smaller and close to the shoulder the lane is - the turn needs to be sharper.

It used to be super quick when beta started at 10.2. Over the months, various changes have been made to make it slower and also more accurate. Used to cross the line of the lane (in case of 2 lane road, the center line) or hit the curb etc.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Visualization is definitely a plus on 10.12. I've struggled to use this build because some basic issues that weren't present for me in 10.11 have made me lose confidence in using it (vs me driving). My car approaches intersections way to fast if there's a slightly obstructed stop sign. By my house, there's a 40mph road that goes to a T junction - the car basically goes from 40 to 0 in like two seconds right before the intersection. I'm also getting erratic left turn behavior - wheel jerking, abrupt stop and go where I'm worried it may turn into a car in oncoming traffic. Hopefully I'm in the minority of folks experiencing this behavior.
I can’t speak to 10.11 as I just received FSD this past weekend. I can say, though, I am experiencing the exact same things you are along with stopping mid-turn in the middle of an intersection. Far more jerking of the steering wheel than I expected based around many videos of this version I have watched.

I can’t speak to 10.11 as I just received FSD this past weekend. I can say, though, I am experiencing the exact same things you are along with stopping mid-turn in the middle of an intersection. Far more jerking of the steering wheel than I expected based around many videos of this version I have watched.
I've been on FSD beta for about 6 months and, in my opinion, it was constantly getting marginally better from my own perception of how the car handled my daily situations. This is the version build where I've been like "what the..." and took over because the jerkiness and decision making (or lack thereof) of the car exceeded my comfort level. I'm certain it will improve, just not sure if I have to wait for the next build to see the results.

Couple bad behaviors of the day:
* Almost ran a red light. Stale yellow, car showed no signs of slowing down. The light actually turned red right when I started braking manually. Once stopped I waited a few seconds and re-engaged FSD, and it lurched forward like it was ignoring the red light. I disengaged, tried again with the same results.
* For some reason there was a cone in the middle of the lane; there were cars around so I did not wait to see how close I could get before it reacted, but at the time I took over it needed to react to maintain smoothness, and the cone was still not rendered on screen.

Couple good ones:
* Left tons of room for pedestrians near open/closed car doors
* Started trying to merge left to pass a double parked car early enough. I took over though because there was a bit too much traffic to my left. They're still using the "Merging left to avoid cones" or w.e. message on screen though, which is confusing when there are no actual cones.

My biggest issue with FSD behavior so far: the fact that the wheels many times are turning into oncoming traffic before a turn. Seems super easy to tell the car NOT to turn the wheel until enacting the turn. Basic defensive driving 101.

My first FSD drive after finally getting into the beta (very similar to others in this post):

1) The car drove too fast in my neighborhood. I guess I don't usually drive 25 mph in the neighborhood lol... I think I will tone down the speed offset a little bit while I get used to the FSD.
2) Car does seem too timid (as I've noticed in lots of Youtube videos.) Had to hit the gas a few times to push it along.
3) The car made a bad choice on a protected left turn, where the car in front turned on their turn signal and moved into the turn lane. My Model Y started passing the car and then turned on its turn signal to change lanes. It should have just gotten behind the car.
4) The steering wheel moves around like crazy. Very much not like a person. Not sure why it has to do this when people can drive without crazy steering action.
5) Passed another car in a four-lane road (not a highway) like a boss. When the path was clear, changed lanes quickly, accelerated quickly to pass. Speed changes in general were way better than on normal auto pilot.
6) The car did get uncomfortably close to a curb where a third lane on the right merged into the middle lane. it didn't hit it though, but I felt uncomfortable.
7) Turning into the neighborhood, car slowed down nicely before the turn, just like I would have.

Having used the beta 5-6 times, additional things I am noticing:

1) It did finally stop at the stop sign at the end of my street (3rd try.) Haven't tried a 4th yet.
2) Definitely very poor planning right now. Often, the car goes into the wrong lane and has to quickly go back (with cars around.) I have starting cancelling lane changes that don't make sense.
3) The car has tried a few times to go into a turn only lane when the path is to go straight.
4) The car really wants to accelerate quickly, even on chill mode, resulting in a herky-jerky experience when it has to slow down just as suddenly because of traffic.
5) The car has been very smooth on many turns, both left and right. Really impressed,
6) On a blinking yellow left turn at a light (two lanes each way), the car kept inching forward and towards oncoming traffic even with many cars coming and no near opportunity to go. I eventually had to cancel and turn the wheel back and move forward a bit to get out of the oncoming lane.

Last edited:
There’s a balance to be struck. The more cameras you have, the more data you have to process and having too much data can be as bad or worse than not enough data.

The advantage of placing the cameras on the B pillars vs the A pillars or by the front turn signals is they are Less likely to get splattered or otherwise obstructed. Placing a camera at the nose of the car is a recipe for failure in any northern state that gets snow.

Northern states perhaps.

The front cameras on my old Audi A7 that looked left and right never had any issues getting "splattered or obstructed" in my Southern states use. Even the rear left right cameras never had a problem. Unlike my Tesla who's rear camera seems to always get obscured when it rains.

Visualization is definitely a plus on 10.12. I've struggled to use this build because some basic issues that weren't present for me in 10.11 have made me lose confidence in using it (vs me driving). My car approaches intersections way to fast if there's a slightly obstructed stop sign. By my house, there's a 40mph road that goes to a T junction - the car basically goes from 40 to 0 in like two seconds right before the intersection. I'm also getting erratic left turn behavior - wheel jerking, abrupt stop and go where I'm worried it may turn into a car in oncoming traffic. Hopefully I'm in the minority of folks experiencing this behavior.

Having same / similar issues with 10.12.2 that I didn't have with 10.11.2 or recent builds.

When 10.12.2 goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong.

Still testing.

New Beta user since Saturday, received “Cabin Camera Unavailable” error when starting my first beta drive as well as this morning, clears shortly after.

Morning commute could not engage FSD, kept getting “Pay Attention” error looking dead straight, no cap, no shades. I would disengage before timing out, would retry with no success.

Drive home was the same deal, this time looking straight, wide eyed, and gave it more time, no luck and got my first strike. Later on the same drive on a side street tried again, this time no warning message, no blue bar, just kicked me out with strike #2!

Not off to a good start, seems like a small group of users reporting the same here.

Reactions: GalacticHero
New Beta user since Saturday, received “Cabin Camera Unavailable” error when starting my first beta drive as well as this morning, clears shortly after.

Morning commute could not engage FSD, kept getting “Pay Attention” error looking dead straight, no cap, no shades. I would disengage before timing out, would retry with no success.

Drive home was the same deal, this time looking straight, wide eyed, and gave it more time, no luck and got my first strike. Later on the same drive on a side street tried again, this time no warning message, no blue bar, just kicked me out with strike #2!

Not off to a good start, seems like a small group of users reporting the same here.
Those two strikes you received, do you see them reported anywhere within the Tesla screen?

I think I got them too, but I'm trying to figure out if I actually did.