Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure about that? Sounds wrong since you dont get scored on AP.

Yes. In another thread, I also voiced my skepticism, but someone linked me to a twitter thread where someone screenshotted an email from Tesla that specified the requirement.

1654615064438.png

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
This says just the opposite.. you will not get scored, but they count the miles.

Not sure where you're confused by.

Safety score penalties don't count while on AP, but AP miles are logged. This has always been the case since Sept 25, 2021 when the beta qualifications started. And shortly after that, it was announced that you needed a minimum of 100 miles (no AP usage requirement). This was to stop people from driving 1 mile, getting a 100 score, and then parking their car.

But now you need to drive 100 miles specifically with AP. I don't know why. But it's there in that tweet in my post (#1163)

Yes. In another thread, I also voiced my skepticism, but someone linked me to a twitter thread where someone screenshotted an email from Tesla that specified the requirement.

View attachment 813686

That email says Early Access Program, which isn’t the same is the current Beta FSD program (as far as I know). I think that preceded the current FSD Beta. But maybe someone that knows for sure will chime in. Or someone that has receive FSD Beta that never uses AP during scoring.

Not sure where you're confused by.

Safety score penalties don't count while on AP, but AP miles are logged. This has always been the case since Sept 25, 2021 when the beta qualifications started. And shortly after that, it was announced that you needed a minimum of 100 miles (no AP usage requirement). This was to stop people from driving 1 mile, getting a 100 score, and then parking their car.

But now you need to drive 100 miles specifically with AP. I don't know why. But it's there in that tweet in my post (#1163)

My confusion was I thought that post you quoted that said YOU DEFINITELY get scored on AP was you saying that, but you were actually stating the correct info in reaction to that post… my bad.

The other thing with the email and cut and paste is suspect to me.. Even on the tweet people are questioning it since it says Early Access.

Last edited:

Note that the email doesn’t say 100 miles of Safety Score on AP. It just say 100 miles of AP on the vehicle (lifetime is a perfectly plausible reading and makes sense to ensure the car works correctly and the driver has SOME idea of how to use it).

I have no idea what they ACTUALLY mean of course, but certainly back in September this was most DEFINITELY NOT a requirement (I did not have any significant mileage on AP under Safety Scoring rules when I got into FSDb (b) on the first round - just a few miles at most). It does seem that 100 miles (or some minimum) was in general required at that time (just anecdotal from the first spreadsheets and who got in).

Reactions: Z_Lynx and nvx1977
That email says Early Access Program, which isn’t the same is the current Beta FSD program (as far as I know). I think that preceded the current FSD Beta. But maybe someone that knows for sure will chime in. Or someone that has receive FSD Beta that never uses AP during scoring.

In the new threads with the new cohort, there are several people who recently learned of the 100 AP miles requirement, didn't meet that requirement and didn't get the invite. They went out, drove the miles, then immediately got the invite. Could be coincidence.

The twitter user emailed both earlyaccess and fsdbeta (@tesla.com) on May 27, 2022. The screenshotted response is very current. Yes, there's a chance it might not apply because it's from earlyaccess, but the email was specific to FSD beta requirements. I think it's fine to still remain skeptical. It's not ironclad proof. But I've seen only evidence in support of this 100 AP mile requirement so far.

Note that the email doesn’t say 100 miles of Safety Score on AP. It just say 100 miles of AP on the vehicle (lifetime is a perfectly plausible reading and makes sense to ensure the car works correctly).

I have no idea what they ACTUALLY mean of course, but certainly back in September this was most DEFINITELY NOT a requirement (I did not have any significant mileage on AP under Safety Scoring rules when I got into FSDb (b) on the first round - just a few miles at most). It does seem that 100 miles (or some minimum) was in general required at that time (just anecdotal from the first spreadsheets and who got in).

I do recall Musk tweeting about the 100 (no AP) requirement back during the first cohort selection. It was around the end of 2 weeks, and he had extended it an extra week. People at the time were already concerned about all the people driving short distances with 100 scores.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
To be crystal clear on how the Safety Score works:

- Miles driven on AP do count for total miles driven
- Any dings for following too closely, hard braking, aggressive turning, or forward collision warnings do NOT count while on AP and for three seconds following AP disengagement by the driver
- The downside of driving on AP is that the denominator used for calculating percentages of unsafe following, hard braking or aggressive turning does not count AP miles. Example: you drive 2 hours on AP, but in the 50 seconds you drive manually, if you follow too closely (while going at least 50mph) for 25 seconds, you’ll get dinged for unsafe following at 50% for that two-hour drive.

No one replied so I guess it's unique to me. However, it is back to working fine today. I just hope the climate control doesn't stop working on my trip through the Majave Desert!

I actually did have this exact behavior, but it was on 10.11.2, not 10.12.2 and it only lasted for a day. I normally have it set to auto at 69° or 70° and when it's hot out, it'll blast the A/C. But I had to drop the temp to 65° to get it to really do anything, even though it was really hot in the car. I don't think rebooting helped me either, so I don't know what ended up fixing it. Maybe the overnight deep sleep thing? It definitely wasn't the software update, though. I agree, I hope this issue doesn't come up again since we're getting into the really hot weather now!

To be crystal clear on how the Safety Score works:

- Miles driven on AP do count for total miles driven
- Any dings for following too closely, hard braking, aggressive turning, or forward collision warnings do NOT count while on AP and for three seconds following AP disengagement by the driver
- The downside of driving on AP is that the denominator used for calculating percentages of unsafe following, hard braking or aggressive turning does not count AP miles. Example: you drive 2 hours on AP, but in the 50 seconds you drive manually, if you follow too closely (while going at least 50mph) for 25 seconds, you’ll get dinged for unsafe following at 50% for that two-hour drive.
Cool, well if anyone needs me, I’ll be out driving 100 miles to prove I can sit still with my eyes on the road for about 2 hours.

Pressure from owners is a valid reason to expand.
No, it isnt. If the car isnt ready you increase the risk of a serious accident, with the possibility of the entire beta program being put on hold and/or greater scrutiny/intervention/interference by regulators (to say nothing of the hysterical screaming headlines generated in the press).

Presumably Tesla think they are ready .. I hope they are right.

On today's drives, one of the traffic lights was in failsafe with flashing red lights all around. I was delighted to see that FSD beta correctly interpreted the flashing red as a four-way stop sign and navigated through the intersection perfectly, with just the right assertiveness to enforce it's correct turn to go. My car went straight through the first time and made a left turn on the return trip. This is a busy intersection with cars in all positions, including turn lanes, so very well done FSD team!