Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I waited a couple days to hear and read others comments, and or some of the youtube videos but I have to say for me and my routes at least 10.12 is absolutely NO BETTER than any prior build and in some cases worse. Frankly, it’s getting a bit disheartening but nothing that I wasn’t expecting.

NONE of the local area errors are better or corrected, some are worse.. NEW issues have now developed that were not there before. Many of the issues that I have reported via in car video, in car FSD capture and send, BUG REPORTS and even EMAILS to FSDBETA support, none of them have been addressed.

At the moment I don’t have the time to write it all up, but I will in the next 3-4 days.

I’m trying to prioritize that task with trying to figure out what sort of incremental balance sheet/income statement earnings TESLA analysts are calculating for near term earnings (up to say EOY’22) and how that will be impacted when none of this comes to fruition by EOY or by mid 2023 (robotaxi testing even). I‘m thinking my time is best spent on the latter.

No, it isnt. If the car isnt ready you increase the risk of a serious accident, with the possibility of the entire beta program being put on hold and/or greater scrutiny/intervention/interference by regulators (to say nothing of the hysterical screaming headlines generated in the press).

Presumably Tesla think they are ready .. I hope they are right.
You are creating a straw man argument. Clearly the beta is good enough to give to a few more diehard customers who understand the seriousness of testing the beta. The problem has been they ignore their most loyal customer base. They give the beta to some dude who just got his first Tesla 2 months ago over people who bought FSD years ago.

They should prioritize the most loyal customers, not a hard concept.

I waited a couple days to hear and read others comments, and or some of the youtube videos but I have to say for me and my routes at least 10.12 is absolutely NO BETTER than any prior build and in some cases worse. Frankly, it’s getting a bit disheartening but nothing that I wasn’t expecting.....
On 10.12.2 I have had BY far my best "Whole Mars Catalog" drive EVER and BY far my worst Beta drive ever (Oct 21 10.3 Beta user). It is an enigma of a release to me.

Reactions: John Nemesh
You are creating a straw man argument. Clearly the beta is good enough to give to a few more diehard customers who understand the seriousness of testing the beta. The problem has been they ignore their most loyal customer base. They give the beta to some dude who just got his first Tesla 2 months ago over people who bought FSD years ago.

No, my point was, and remains, that owners simply wanting beta access is not a valid reason per se for getting it.

Tesla's goal with the beta test is to discover and correct issues/defects with FSD beta so that it can be refined to the point where it is ready for a more general release. I don't see why loyalty should be a criteria for tester selection based on that goal, nor why a "loyal" customer is any better or worse as a tester than "some dude who just got his Tesla". What was that you were saying about a straw man?

Now up to 3,200. So, 200 more added.

Assuming 60k testers = 2,400 Teslafi users, 40k more would be 1,600 more. If this is correct, half the new testers have been added, half more to go. Teslafi will end with 4,000 testers.
Frankly, at this point and how 10.12 can perform, I’m getting more than a TAD bit concerned.

On 10.12.2 I have had BY far my best "Whole Mars Catalog" drive EVER and BY far my worst Beta drive ever (Oct 21 10.3 Beta user). It is an enigma of a release to me.
Yep, that's my experience too .. overall the car feels more capable, then it suddenly goes berserk.

However, to an extent I'm not surprised. They made a LOT of basic changes to the stack in 10.12.x, and my reading is that while they have setup for a lot of improvements, the new stuff they have deployed is still in need of significant tuning.

This isnt unusual is this type of development project. One approach to a problem runs out of steam, and is replaced by a far more capable approach that can eventually go beyond the old method, but initially is less capable than the older more limited approach.

first, why should loyal customers be beta testers? the beta testing program is not meant to be some sort of award. If you think it is then you need to learn what beta testing is. Second, even if we take your (incorrect) premise as true, who qualifies as a 'loyal' customer?

I had a strange FSD error today- I was sitting at a red traffic light at the end of an off ramp, waiting to turn left. After a while FSD just got tired and started to go, even though the light was still red (and showed red on the screen FWIW.)

It's a sudden unintended acceleration. FSD accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

/s

I had a strange FSD error today- I was sitting at a red traffic light at the end of an off ramp, waiting to turn left. After a while FSD just got tired and started to go, even though the light was still red (and showed red on the screen FWIW.)
THIS

Is exactly one of the errors I have had before and had again TODAY with 10.12. FULL ALL SIGNALS CAR DIRECTION RED LIGHT and the car just wanted to proceed into the intersection as if it were an all way STOP SIGN and not STOP LIGHT. I disengaged and re-engaged THREE TIMES over the course of about 15 seconds and the car continued to want to PROCEED THROUGH A FULL RED LIGHT STOP each time. Finally, just left it dis-engaged.. Captured full videos of what the display was ‘seeing‘ and sent videos and bug reports to Tesla but I’ve seen this before and it’s one of the cases that concerns me the most. Imagine.

I’m considering at this point appealing to TESLA engineering to come out and visit me at home (I’m about 2.5 miles from HQ) and just drive with me for about 20 minutes and see these issues that are easily reproducible and frankly unacceptable. I’d like to know, “is this really what you expect to occur in this situation at this point in development?” It wouldn’t take more than about 20-30 minutes all in to clearly and dependably reproduce these substantial errors/deficiencies in the current state of FSD capability and this is in what I would expect to be one of the SIMPLER EX-URBAN environments.

Last edited:
THIS

Is exactly one of the errors I have had before and had again TODAY with 10.12. FULL ALL SIGNALS CAR DIRECTION RED LIGHT and the car just wanted to proceed into the intersection as if it were an all way STOP SIGN and not STOP LIGHT. I disengaged and re-engaged THREE TIMES over the course of about 15 seconds and the car continued to want to PROCEED THROUGH A FULL RED LIGHT STOP each time. Finally, just left it dis-engaged.. Captured full videos of what the display was ‘seeing‘ and sent videos and bug reports to Tesla but I’ve seen this before and it’s one of the cases that concerns me the most. Imagine.

I’m considering at this point appealing to TESLA engineering to come out and visit me at home (I’m about 2.5 miles from HQ) and just drive with me for about 20 minutes and see these issues that are easily reproducible and frankly unacceptable. I’d like to know, “is this really what you expect to occur in this situation at this point in development?” It wouldn’t take more than about 20-30 minutes all in to clearly and dependably reproduce these substantial errors/deficiencies in the current state of FSD capability and this is in what I would expect to be one of the SIMPLER EX-URBAN environments.
It may be a new bug, as it did not do this with previous versions. I've had it happen twice on 11.2, so far not on 12.2, but others are saying it's happening on 12. As functions move to neural nets, I expect problems during tuning phases.

Just stay alert and make sure you're reporting issues as they happen.

It may be a new bug, as it did not do this with previous versions. I've had it happen twice on 11.2, so far not on 12.2, but others are saying it's happening on 12. As functions move to neural nets, I expect problems during tuning phases.

Just stay alert and make sure you're reporting issues as they happen.
I’ve had this at least two times with version prior to this back to October.. car has come to complete full stop at red light, four way intersection and then proceeded to enter the intersection as if it was only a four way STOP and not red light. As well, car has come to complete stop on a major secondary road at RED STOP LIGHT and then proceeded to try and continue straight through the intersection with complete disregard to traffic coming from the LEFT that would have t-boned my car from the left. So, no, it’s NOT a ‘new bug‘ but rather one that has not been completely squashed or one that has resurfaced and IMO Is now worse. Todays experience at the intersection I described above was totally NEW and I and I had not encountered before (even though I have done this route before) and the constant effort of the CAR to simply continue to try and proceed THROUGH the RED LIGHT STOP intersection is what concerns me most.

I’ve had this at least two times with version prior to this back to October.. car has come to complete full stop at red light, four way intersection and then proceeded to enter the intersection as if it was only a four way STOP and not red light. As well, car has come to complete stop on a major secondary road at RED STOP LIGHT and then proceeded to try and continue straight through the intersection with complete disregard to traffic coming from the LEFT that would have t-boned my car from the left. So, no, it’s NOT a ‘new bug‘ but rather one that has not been completely squashed or one that has resurfaced and IMO Is now worse. Todays experience at the intersection I described above was totally NEW and I and I had not encountered before (even though I have done this route before) and the constant effort of the CAR to simply continue to try and proceed THROUGH the RED LIGHT STOP intersection is what concerns me most.
Disengage FSD (the brake pedal will take care of that), press the report button. When the light turns green, reengage FSD. Make a note of the date/time and send a follow up email with details to fsdbeta @ tesla.com

Disengage FSD (the brake pedal will take care of that), press the report button. When the light turns green, reengage FSD. Make a note of the date/time and send a follow up email with details to fsdbeta @ tesla.com
Fortunately, not my first Rodeo… Tesla, Pcar, Benz, ATOY, other. of COURSE a disengagement is required, otherwise I’d be IN an intersection mostly likely with EMS attending based on what the circumstance indicates. Sadly. For now, I’ve sent videos, captured dashcams (thank you Tesla for making the accessibility of the dashcam SAVE easier in the most recent builds.!) and often capture with my iPhone what the in car screen is showing to send to Tesla FSDBETA, but to date I have NEVER received any response or indication of receipt and certainly not any follow up to try and reconfirm. MAYBE they come and try and recreate this clear issues/s, MAYBE they incorporate it (doubt it, otherwise it would have been corrected probably in the past 4-5 months) or maybe they either don’t are, are overwhelmed or don’t really have a good process for taking all this information into account, stack ranking it, solving for it, creating prioritizations for remedy and building it into the modeling and software updates. Frankly, as I’ve said above, I am very seriously doubting that the latter is occurring at all.

I’ve run software shops before, and frankly when critical bugs continue to go unresolved over and over you fire the QA director and put the lead Engineer on notice… and if it continues you fire the QA engineer and put the HEAD of engineering on notice.. and after that, you put the whole thing on timeout.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Well, after waiting since last year, got the FSD last night. Low score, too: It was down to 93 or so and the previous day's drive had an 85 on it. (Although.. That was because some NJ Maniac pulled into my lane and braked. the Maniac was still pretty far away, I was slowing, but it didn't stop the car from deciding it was the end of the world.) Nice not having a score any more. Had been trying to get up to 99 or 100 and Every Blame Month somebody around me would do something that threw the car into a tizzy. Had finally had it and unenrolled and started, well, just driving the car again - and it was fun!

Then Musk said at the last conference call that people should enroll so Tesla could get this technology out. Thought about it, turned the FSD request back on, but have only been looking at the Safe Driving score, like, once every other week or so. Color me surprised: I really didn't expect with a 93 to get in.

Now that the car has had FSD for a full day.. Well, been seeing all the warnings that FSD is Not Precisely Ready for Prime Time, and I agree. Turned on FSD early this morning, made sure all the buttons were pressed, went back in and ate breakfast. Came back out in an hour to vote (primary day) - and everything had turned itself off without human intervention. At the polling place, turned everything back on, did a two-thumb-wheel reset, and verified it was still on. Then, being ready for anything, told it to drive home, a distance of a half mile.

And what an entertaining half mile it was. NoA had the directions; first turn leaving the parking lot was to the right but the car turned left. Um. That's kind of a major error. Let the car do it anyway and it turned, abruptly, at the speed limit, into a cul-de-sac on the left as the road curved to the right. Took control at that point and got the car pointed in the right direction.

Traveling down a straight road with cars parked on the left with oncoming traffic and the car kept on trying to move towards the center of the road and a bit over. Didn't like the looks of that and took over, again. And that was that for FSD on that drive.

Later in the day, drove some 20 miles to work and, at quitting time, drove another 20 miles back. The segments on interstates were fine and not much different than before FSD. I honestly don't think that any drive over 300 yards could be done without having to take control with One Stupid Error After Another. Car trying to shift into the left lane when there's an off-ramp to an interstate on the right in 200 yards. Mistaking a two-lane forward for a one-lane forward and thereby cutting traffic off on the right. On an off-ramp with massive traffic, decided the car ahead of me that was (properly) merging to its left should be gone around, when there was no road in front of that car, and, rather than stopping and waiting for the car to clear, tried to merge into that car. Nope, nope, nope.

It wasn't all bad, Steady or stop-and-go in straight or twisty single lanes it could handle. But I guess I've watched too many videos. It can barely do a right turn safely. And, on a very wide lane with a left turn onto an on-ramp (no light) it tried to to center itself in the lane before turning by moving to the right and blocking traffic coming up from the rear. What happened to the part where it hugs the centerline of the road when turning left?

So, having said all this: How, exactly, does one report bugs? "Report Bug" and hit the recorder icon?

Saw the bit about recalibrating the cameras. Might be worth a shot, I guess.

Well, after waiting since last year, got the FSD last night. Low score, too: It was down to 93 or so and the previous day's drive had an 85 on it. (Although.. That was because some NJ Maniac pulled into my lane and braked. the Maniac was still pretty far away, I was slowing, but it didn't stop the car from deciding it was the end of the world.) Nice not having a score any more. Had been trying to get up to 99 or 100 and Every Blame Month somebody around me would do something that threw the car into a tizzy. Had finally had it and unenrolled and started, well, just driving the car again - and it was fun!

Then Musk said at the last conference call that people should enroll so Tesla could get this technology out. Thought about it, turned the FSD request back on, but have only been looking at the Safe Driving score, like, once every other week or so. Color me surprised: I really didn't expect with a 93 to get in.

Now that the car has had FSD for a full day.. Well, been seeing all the warnings that FSD is Not Precisely Ready for Prime Time, and I agree. Turned on FSD early this morning, made sure all the buttons were pressed, went back in and ate breakfast. Came back out in an hour to vote (primary day) - and everything had turned itself off without human intervention. At the polling place, turned everything back on, did a two-thumb-wheel reset, and verified it was still on. Then, being ready for anything, told it to drive home, a distance of a half mile.

And what an entertaining half mile it was. NoA had the directions; first turn leaving the parking lot was to the right but the car turned left. Um. That's kind of a major error. Let the car do it anyway and it turned, abruptly, at the speed limit, into a cul-de-sac on the left as the road curved to the right. Took control at that point and got the car pointed in the right direction.

Traveling down a straight road with cars parked on the left with oncoming traffic and the car kept on trying to move towards the center of the road and a bit over. Didn't like the looks of that and took over, again. And that was that for FSD on that drive.

Later in the day, drove some 20 miles to work and, at quitting time, drove another 20 miles back. The segments on interstates were fine and not much different than before FSD. I honestly don't think that any drive over 300 yards could be done without having to take control with One Stupid Error After Another. Car trying to shift into the left lane when there's an off-ramp to an interstate on the right in 200 yards. Mistaking a two-lane forward for a one-lane forward and thereby cutting traffic off on the right. On an off-ramp with massive traffic, decided the car ahead of me that was (properly) merging to its left should be gone around, when there was no road in front of that car, and, rather than stopping and waiting for the car to clear, tried to merge into that car. Nope, nope, nope.

It wasn't all bad, Steady or stop-and-go in straight or twisty single lanes it could handle. But I guess I've watched too many videos. It can barely do a right turn safely. And, on a very wide lane with a left turn onto an on-ramp (no light) it tried to to center itself in the lane before turning by moving to the right and blocking traffic coming up from the rear. What happened to the part where it hugs the centerline of the road when turning left?

So, having said all this: How, exactly, does one report bugs? "Report Bug" and hit the recorder icon?

Saw the bit about recalibrating the cameras. Might be worth a shot, I guess.
WELCOME To FSD Beta!… in my experience resetting the cameras does nothing my car still tries to be about 4-5 FEET from the center line to the point of nearly running into the left side of parked cars on the right side of the road (here in the USA at least). You can certainly do it, and then just wait a bit for “recalibration” so there isn’t much downside, but I have found ZERO upside to doing it. I have the feeling that probably my center stack camera is just mounted incorrectly. It’s a shame that ALL cameras are just a single point of failure. good thing vision is the future.

I’ve had this at least two times with version prior to this back to October.. car has come to complete full stop at red light, four way intersection and then proceeded to enter the intersection as if it was only a four way STOP and not red light. As well, car has come to complete stop on a major secondary road at RED STOP LIGHT and then proceeded to try and continue straight through the intersection with complete disregard to traffic coming from the LEFT that would have t-boned my car from the left.
Wild speculation here: I wonder if the red lights are LED. And, rather than being on all the time, they actually flash multiple times per second, fast enough that the eye sees them as continuous. However, if their flash rate is close to, but not exactly the same as, a multiple of the camera scan rate, then it could set up a beat where the Tesla would catch them off sometimes and on other times, and think they were flashing red lights and treat them like a stop sign?

Like I said, just speculation.