Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wild speculation here: I wonder if the red lights are LED. And, rather than being on all the time, they actually flash multiple times per second, fast enough that the eye sees them as continuous. However, if their flash rate is close to, but not exactly the same as, a multiple of the camera scan rate, then it could set up a beat where the Tesla would catch them off sometimes and on other times, and think they were flashing red lights and treat them like a stop sign?

Like I said, just speculation.

if this is the root cause, it's a regression because I remember reading Tesla actively taking LED refresh rates into account.

As an FSD beta tester I appreciate being part of the development of a revolutionary product that has the potential to change people lives for the better - even save lives. I measure the improvements in the updates by two factors: 1 is how often my wife yells at me to turn it off, and 2 what percent of the time I use AP vs turn it off when I know it is going to fail. After an update I will run back through an area that failed before and if it passes I leave it on the next time. With 10.12.2 I would say I use AP about 75% of the time. My wife's anxiety had decreased over time but she still freaks out when the car gets too close to the car next to us on curves and slows down and speeds up for no reason. Jerkyness is a major issue with her. If only Tesla would smooth out changes in speed and steering she would be much more relaxed.

Wild speculation here: I wonder if the red lights are LED. And, rather than being on all the time, they actually flash multiple times per second, fast enough that the eye sees them as continuous. However, if their flash rate is close to, but not exactly the same as, a multiple of the camera scan rate, then it could set up a beat where the Tesla would catch them off sometimes and on other times, and think they were flashing red lights and treat them like a stop sign?

Indeed.. something like that HAS occurred… at a four way stop light, my direction the car could see THREE RED LIGHTS, one in the left directional lane (for mostly protected left turn) one in MY lane, for directional FORWARD only and one on the right side (not a separate lane) for possibly right turn or a secondary light overall. The LEFT TURN lane light was RED, the lane I was in was RED, and the right side light was RED, but the IN CAR NAV showed th right light as either blinking ON AND OFF or flickering ON AND OFF but not switching between GREEN AND RED. Just that the car NAV SCREEN was showing thsi ONE RED LIGHT ON THE RIGHT as either RED ON or OFF (not red)… and yet the car thought it was OK TO PROCEED through the intersection. The light in front on MY / CAR lane WAS SOLID RED both through observation and the in CAR VIEW, as was the RED LIGHT to the left of my lane, SOLID RED. So, at this point one wonders was the car interpreting the RIGHT RED LIGHT going ON / OFF as the binary indication of ALL LIGHTS or is the system defaulting to ’if ANY light is NOT RED then it is okay to proceed, regardless of if 1-MANY OTHER lights at the same intersection are showing SOLID RED do NOT proceed’? ???

At this point, i’m not sure, but for this response I pulled up my email and I sent this scenario, WITH DATE AND TIME and dashcams AND IN CAR CAPTURED IPHONE VIDEO OF THE IN CAR SCREEN plus my voice narrative AND an email description of the problem to fsdbeta back on DECEMBER 13 2021 NEARLY SIX MONTHS AGO and the situation still presents at the SAME INTERSECTION, RELIABLY

so YEAH, I’m pretty surprised, annoyed and pretty upset that what I interpret as such a failure in situational capability that I’m getting very suspect of whether or not the capability exists to actually remedy what are clear significant deficiencies in capability.

Today, after my first real drive on 10.12 I was pretty bummed not to see any improvement but spent most of the final 15 minutes of driving trying to figure out HOW I might get Tesla to reach out/back to me and try and understand if MY CAR has some issue, or if yes, these are the expected deficiencies that they expect. In a normal world, being this close to the mothership I would think there MUST be something I could say or do to have an engineer reach out to me or visit me (again I’m 2.5 miles away from the HQ or 10 miles from Fremont) and just walk through these 10-15 clear unusable issues with me and see how significant they are… but then again, maybe they already know or just don’t care.

Reactions: mangrove79
First time with FSD and I have to say, holy crap it feels weird.

Definitely rough at times here, trying to turn through a "flush median" (aka yellow stripes) onto a one way (in the wrong direction), stopping in the middle of a left turn. But it's a crazy feeling when it works, and I suspect this new wave is aiming for a lot more data to ingest into the system.

And don't worry, I'm still super scared of it so I didn't let it do any of that. :p It did however do a good job of avoiding thered light runner and the guy chasing him...

Last edited:
first, why should loyal customers be beta testers? the beta testing program is not meant to be some sort of award. If you think it is then you need to learn what beta testing is. Second, even if we take your (incorrect) premise as true, who qualifies as a 'loyal' customer?
Fair question, I define ‘loyal customer’ as someone that bought FSD years ago. They still need to opt into the beta queue and meet requirements.

Assuming Tesla has more customers who want the beta than slots available then they should set a minimum qualification criteria, then add people based on the date they bought FSD.

Indeed.. something like that HAS occurred… at a four way stop light, my direction the car could see THREE RED LIGHTS, one in the left directional lane (for mostly protected left turn) one in MY lane, for directional FORWARD only and one on the right side (not a separate lane) for possibly right turn or a secondary light overall. The LEFT TURN lane light was RED, the lane I was in was RED, and the right side light was RED, but the IN CAR NAV showed th right light as either blinking ON AND OFF or flickering ON AND OFF but not switching between GREEN AND RED. Just that the car NAV SCREEN was showing thsi ONE RED LIGHT ON THE RIGHT as either RED ON or OFF (not red)… and yet the car thought it was OK TO PROCEED through the intersection. The light in front on MY / CAR lane WAS SOLID RED both through observation and the in CAR VIEW, as was the RED LIGHT to the left of my lane, SOLID RED. So, at this point one wonders was the car interpreting the RIGHT RED LIGHT going ON / OFF as the binary indication of ALL LIGHTS or is the system defaulting to ’if ANY light is NOT RED then it is okay to proceed, regardless of if 1-MANY OTHER lights at the same intersection are showing SOLID RED do NOT proceed’? ???

At this point, i’m not sure, but for this response I pulled up my email and I sent this scenario, WITH DATE AND TIME and dashcams AND IN CAR CAPTURED IPHONE VIDEO OF THE IN CAR SCREEN plus my voice narrative AND an email description of the problem to fsdbeta back on DECEMBER 13 2021 NEARLY SIX MONTHS AGO and the situation still presents at the SAME INTERSECTION, RELIABLY

so YEAH, I’m pretty surprised, annoyed and pretty upset that what I interpret as such a failure in situational capability that I’m getting very suspect of whether or not the capability exists to actually remedy what are clear significant deficiencies in capability.

Today, after my first real drive on 10.12 I was pretty bummed not to see any improvement but spent most of the final 15 minutes of driving trying to figure out HOW I might get Tesla to reach out/back to me and try and understand if MY CAR has some issue, or if yes, these are the expected deficiencies that they expect. In a normal world, being this close to the mothership I would think there MUST be something I could say or do to have an engineer reach out to me or visit me (again I’m 2.5 miles away from the HQ or 10 miles from Fremont) and just walk through these 10-15 clear unusable issues with me and see how significant they are… but then again, maybe they already know or just don’t care.
Can you post the exact location of that intersection? Perhaps another user on the forum lives near by and can do the same test. At least then we can rule out if it’s just your car.

New to FSD Beta…. A couple of things I’ve noticed:

It does not seem to be aware of other vehicles not staying in their lanes.

On a long sweeping curve, it does not center in the lane, but crowds the centerline.

Tends to drive hot on the gas and hard on the brake - not natural. Stays on the gas until the last second then hard on the brakes to stop. Thought chill mode would help this, but no.

Assumes when there are no lines on the road, it should center in the road. This is consistent in my neighborhood.

Overall, it seems pretty cool but I’m hoping for a more relaxed human setting or approach in the future. Today it drives more like a 15.5 year old about to get their license.

New to FSD Beta…. A couple of things I’ve noticed:

It does not seem to be aware of other vehicles not staying in their lanes.
Can you elaborate? I haven’t noticed that and when you have a car exiting the lane (i.e. moving into a turn lane) FSD tends to wait longer than most drivers would before accelerating and passing the turning car.
On a long sweeping curve, it does not center in the lane, but crowds the centerline.
the outside or inside line. I think most drivers tend to hug the inside line on curves.
Tends to drive hot on the gas and hard on the brake - not natural. Stays on the gas until the last second then hard on the brakes to stop. Thought chill mode would help this, but no.
Yes, this is new behavior for 12.2. Previously it would be much slower to accelerate, hence the people calling it ‘confident’ and ‘aggressive.’ A lot of that is personal style and taste but I’m hoping they’ll back off on it a bit. The braking style has been that way for a while. I’d prefer it would brake more gradually, too. What would be nice is to have an option to set the driving style.
Assumes when there are no lines on the road, it should center in the road. This is consistent in my neighborhood.
This has been an issue before. It actually seems to be better with 12.2 - I my neighborhood it does a pretty good job of staying towards the right
Overall, it seems pretty cool but I’m hoping for a more relaxed human setting or approach in the future. Today it drives more like a 15.5 year old about to get their license.
Yup!

That’s actually a really good and interesting hypothesis. with 11.2 FSD couldn’t handle a blinking red light - it would sit and wait until you hit the accelerator. Has anyone encountered a blinking red light with 12.2 to know how it behaves?

Thought I would throw my perspective in. I had FSDb since the 2nd round back in Oct/Nov up until March when I traded in my LR Raven for a Plaid. I just got the download last night and used it on a 50 mile trip this morning in a rural but congested area (The Villages in Florida).

Final thoughts 1st...I was impressed with the improvement since what ever version I had ( I think it was 10.6.xx). Maybe its a case of "abstinence making the heart grow fonder" but I think it really is better based on my small sample size at least.

Most importantly, only 2 minor PB events...this really impressed me because it was one of my biggest complaints before.
It actually slowed down one time for a crow that decided to fly right in front of me when I was on a road with no center line and going about 30mph.

Much more confident at both 4 way stops and unprotected turns at high speed cross traffic intersections (Way better).

Roundabouts were ok... I went through 8 two lane roundabouts in my trip and it was a little hesitant jumping in to them but not horrible. However, it did like to change lanes right in the middle of every single one of them and its very turn signal happy while navigating them.

Did I mention only 2 slight PB event??? lol. I hope this was not a fluke drive in this regard becasue it makes it almost enjoyable to use FSD.

Anyway, just wanted to throw my experience into the mix.

EDIT: oh yeh, it still likes to center itself too far towrds the center line when there is a double center line . I noticed way back that even AP will center itself between the 2 outer most lines instead of the lines on my side of the lane.

Last edited: