Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've got a safety score of 98. When the rollout of 10.12 started I actually had a score of 99, but I guess I slipped. What do I need to do to get the rollout. I've been requesting to be in the beta program for a long time.
You just need to wait until Tesla sends you the update. Unfortunately, they don't tell you when that will be.

Reactions: DrGriz
New vehicles are normally "stuck" on factory island firmware for a few weeks to a couple months. So you will likely have to wait until that hold is released and you start getting normal firmware versions.
Confirmed. I've had my MYLR for six weeks, safety score 100, no FSD Beta yet. The car is in for service now (loud motor whine due to a faulty battery perimeter seal). I asked if they could push a software update, and they said they can't; basically I'll just have to wait for the car to upgrade itself to the mainline version. Not sure what sort of initialization/calibration is still going on with the factory build at this point, but would be interesting to know.

Last edited:
Yesterday I decided to once again request FSD beta. Drove 330 miles, 40 miles today, and ended up with a score of 94%. Received 2022.12.3.20 at 4 PM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any thoughts on how to get used to using it? I had it drive me home the 2 miles from the far end of our development, and it did a pretty good job, but I still have trust issues

Good job.
You're supposed to have trust issues.
Don't lose that feeling.
Exactly. You're not supposed to trust it.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
I got FSD beta last week, and that exactly what I saw a lot of. It was almost like there was a disconnect between the GPS‘s route and FSD. Twice I was at a 2-way stop, and the route had us turning left. The road was clear on both sides. The car pulled forward, nervously moved the steering wheel back and forth, and then went straight.

Later I was pulling out of a shopping center onto the single street that ran along it (so I was effectively stopped at T Intersection). Again the car was supposed to turn left, but instead it did it’s nervous steering wheel jiggle before deciding “f-it” and going right. In this case it may have been spooked by the suicide lane in the middle of the road that had yellow stripes on either side of it.

I’m new to this - does FSDbeta often ignore the planned route?
When I had beta on my Raven (10.6 I believe) it did some crazy things but never did it not follow the GPS route...this is new and extremely unexpected to me.

EDIT: It just hit me that I not only used "unexpected" is a comment about FSDb , but I modified it with "extremely"...I need more coffee

• Informative
Reactions: Yonki

I’m actually impressed with how Beta handled underground scenarios even though it was clearly lost and had no idea where it was. Drove based on visuals despite the GPS being lost. Still clearly a lot of work to do but a small step forward.
The only comment I could make about letting ones Tesla do FSD in the city of Chicago is, be ready to replace about 8-10 wheels a year. Being able to SOMEHOW navigate while on FSD around the giant chasm potholes in Chicago is something they need to work on.

Reactions: tmoz
The only comment I could make about letting ones Tesla do FSD in the city of Chicago is, be ready to replace about 8-10 wheels a year. Being able to SOMEHOW navigate while on FSD around the giant chasm potholes in Chicago is something they need to work on.
Yet I have been able to do it weekly for over a year with no issues or tire replacements. Miracle.

Yet I have been able to do it weekly for over a year with no issues or tire replacements. Miracle.
My comment was really more about the chicago STREETS (where I am often) than FSD. There are streets downtown where the only reasonable path forward is in the OTHER lane. ;-(. It amazes me that they can’t find a way to repair more quickly and more durably. That said, FSD whee I drive it in CA, makes zero attempt to move around any pothole or even sizable object. Intervention is certainly necessary in these cases Still.

Third time’s the charm. Today the car did not move left into a short left turn only lane where nav expects the right lane. First time there were cars in front, in back, and IN the car-length left turn lane. Second time there were no cars. Today there was a lead car which took the proper lane well ahead of my car’s arrival.

Too wide right curves, too acute left turns, and phantom slowing continue.

Passing a left-turning vehicle on the right using the breakdown area is commonplace here. I stop nearly on the yellow line when preparing for this kind left turn but FSDb moves a bit to the right when closing in on the stop. That’s a setup to be rear ended, get clipped or at least piss off the cars behind you. Many tourists do this rightward slide preventing passing so I know. Passing on the right—making two lanes out of 1-1/4 is not great for several reasons but is is the way. Will FSD learn this finesse or pretend all cars follow all the rules all the time?

Good point! So a better question is what are the least nerve-wracking situations to try it out? It probably took me 6 months before I was mostly comfortable with NOAP, and I still don't let NOAP decide when to change lanes. And of course it has trained me to recognize when it is about to get into trouble
When I first got beta I would go out early (5:00 AM) on Sat and Sun mornings when there was no traffic and before wife and kids woke up. I wake up early anyway so instead of hopping on the computer I would go for a drive.

Reactions: nativewolf
I checked all my 10.3.1 videos (earliest I've with GoPro). Here is the comparison.

View attachment 815655

Definitely better, but also surprised at some of the items that haven't changed.
- I was basically disengaging at all roundabouts because of stopping/very slow & jerky in 10.3.1. Now I have to disengage only when it doesn't work properly (about 30% or so)
- Unmarked roads were very bad esp. when a car came in the opposite direction
- At large intersections it used to turn into wrong lane (like the wrong side of the road)

Added a few days of 10.11.2. As I suspected, the disengagement rate has gone down with 10.12.2.

1655228790275.png

Main difference
- Roundabouts : 10.12.2 doesn't stop before entering a roundabout. That works well for empty roundabouts, compared to 10.11.2. BUT, it doesn't yet handle a small roundabout any better I use regularly, nor does it handle a small roundabout not in the map. Also, in terms of multi-lane roundabouts and when vehicles are already in the roundabout, the two versions behave similarly.
- Creeping : 10.12.2 creeps far too much into the perpendicular lane/road if there is any visibility issue. This is dangerous, esp if the occlusion is because of a vehicle that is also waiting on the side. 10.11.2 would wait for the occlusion to go away.
- Sudden lane change : There is one spot in a road I use where 10.12.2 sees some object on the road (which is not there) and tries to avoid it by crossing the middle line. Not 100% repeatable - but has happened 3 or 4 times already.
- ULT : Sometimes FSD starts moving too quickly even as the car from the opposite side is passing. This scares that and us too. Not safe.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest the text in the dialogue box here? Navigation put the car correctly in the right turn lane. Car decided it wanted out. I believe the first two words are "Changing lanes"?

I want to know what the excuse was. All other versions turned right successfully.

dialogue_x3.png

dialogue.png

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest the text in the dialogue box here? Navigation put the car correctly in the right turn lane. Car decided it wanted out. I believe the first two words are "Changing lanes"?

I want to know what the excuse was. All other versions turned right successfully.
My car does this constantly. I am new to FSD Beta, so I don't have anything to compare against. But I would say 70% of the time the car wants to turn out of the obviously correct lane very close to when the turn is supposed to happen. Could be a bug of some kind? I just hit the camera and move on...

Reactions: sleepydoc
My comment was really more about the chicago STREETS (where I am often) than FSD. There are streets downtown where the only reasonable path forward is in the OTHER lane. ;-(. It amazes me that they can’t find a way to repair more quickly and more durably. That said, FSD whee I drive it in CA, makes zero attempt to move around any pothole or even sizable object. Intervention is certainly necessary in these cases Still.
In early spring when the ice thaws and large potholes get born and I have to disengage pretty much every drive. Certainly affects disengagement metrics Tesla keeps.