Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this type of scenario often, in San Francisco and even down on the peninsula In San Carlos and Burlingame, CA. In the in vehicle display, was one of these red lights apparently FLASHING in what the car displayed to the driver? This type of situation really starts to freak me out due to the danger it introduces. I had another similar scenario last week where the car came to a complete stop at just a two front facing red light intersection, four way and then the car just proceeded start through the intersection. So I immediately dis-engaged and stopped but then re-engaged - and the car just started to proceed through the red lights again. It did this three times (and I did) but by that time I was about a half car length into the intersection already so.I stopped the test till the light was fully green.
This was discussed earlier or on another thread. One theory is that they added the ability to recognize a blinking red light with this version, but LED traffic lights actually flash very quickly. This is imperceptible to humans but can be seen on a digital camera image and may cause the computer to erroneously think the lights are blinking red vs steady red.

FSD will run this Red Light whenever my car is first in line after stopping for the red light.

When the Red Light turns green FSD will immediately try and enter the intersection. I've confirmed this on multiple occasions.
Here is a picture of the traffic light circled in blue that is confusing FSD. The light is for the crossing street (Chelmsford Street) not the street (Steadman Street) I am on. I have reported this to Tesla several times going back over 6 months.

Google Maps

View attachment 816766
Report it to the city as it's angle might be off standard.

Usually, at least around here, troublesome lights like that get shades so that only people on the corresponding street can see it.

But Tesla will have to figure a way to "override" - because clearly the lights in the front are more likely to be the correct ones.

FSD running red lights almost a year after first reported (in broad daylight) at intersections.

The suggested solution to running the red light is to stop reporting it to Tesla, but instead, call the city to ask them politely to change the angle of the stoplight. 🤣 🤣
Ooh I had one of those this morning. Same intersection as where I observed this behavior last time. Simple 4-way intersection. Red lights clearly marked on the UI and shown as "relevant". Car kept lurching forward.

Can you IMAGINE that phone call conversation?

"hello, city official? Imma need you to have a crew go to the corner of Oak street and Vine avenue, and have them twist the stoplight 10 degrees to the left, so that my Tesla can see it better. Thanks"

🤣 🤣
It is not as far fetched as you might think. One of my co-workers complained about a light that he mistook almost got into an accident. The city repaired the lights (installed shades).

16 pages behind, haven’t used FSD once since the mad red arms of death causing a strike, also been somewhat busy. Did I miss anything good in here?
To be clear, the red arms do not indicate a strike. A strike is ignoring repeated warnings. red arms means FSD encountered a situation it can’t handle. it happens to me daily. Not a strike.

"hello, city official? Imma need you to have a crew go to the corner of Oak street and Vine avenue, and have them twist the stoplight 10 degrees to the left, so that my Tesla can see it better. Thanks"

🤣 🤣
They might laugh until they get sued. Back when I did traffic control we would refer to the signal as a "Twisted head". They fix them immediately. I should post a picture I one that my car saw when traffic lights pinged you that it was green, before FSD. It was fixed within an hour. There caused by constant winds and or a truck hits them and spins them.

They should put a deep tubular tunnel visor on that one. If that doesn't work they add the tube screen. When the lights went to LED a lot of those items got tossed. and new LED signals went up. #m used to make those mirrored pin point lights that you could only see straight on and at the right spot.

I have two issues with them we have a left turn lane with a median they put a light on the median. My car always tries to stop for the left arrow. There are no lights for straight so it only sees the left turn signal. It is a popular T intersection and I'm at the top of the T.

More in a bit

🤣 🤣
I said if the light is off standard - cities have standard codes for lights. If that light has twisted for some reason (truck bumped it, etc), and it's off code, then the city will repair and return it to code. If it's in code, then the city will find nothing wrong with it. Sheesh... settle down.

16 pages behind, haven’t used FSD once since the mad red arms of death causing a strike, also been somewhat busy. Did I miss anything good in here?
A "strike" is when you get put in autopilot jail - that is, the car has warned you to pay attention/apply turning force to the wheel and you ignore the warnings. At that point autopilot disengages and will not let you reengage for the rest of that drive. You have stop the car, put it park and then back to drive to get it enable AP again.

You can tell how many strikes you have by looking the AP setting page and read the text under the "FSD Beta" switch. It will tell you how many strikes you have so far

FSD will run this Red Light whenever my car is first in line after stopping for the red light.

When the Red Light turns green FSD will immediately try and enter the intersection. I've confirmed this on multiple occasions.
Here is a picture of the traffic light circled in blue that is confusing FSD. The light is for the crossing street (Chelmsford Street) not the street (Steadman Street) I am on. I have reported this to Tesla several times going back over 6 months.

I also have a situation like this where the light for the merging traffic confuses FSD and it wants to stop. I almost feel that these kinds of situations will have to be mapped somehow as an exception in the software (some kind of regional update/data) so that the car understands not to look at that light when going through the intersection.

Ah ... so, thats what they are called. I called them "shades", above.
"Tunnel visor" to be correct, but they extend them into a tube form. They don't want us timing the lights and taking off.

I had to go to a meeting and had lost track of time.

The other traffic light issue I'm having is on the new modern H shaped interchanges with the "X crossing on top. They have the sharp left turn at the top at the last second. I can see it, the IC is showing it, but the car still runs the light when it had just turned red. If the red is when I approach it stops. if it is yellow and the car needs to think about turning, it forgets the signal is turning red. It's happened twice, once on an older version and once on the new version.

There getting more aggressive on the yellow lights along with everything else in 12.2.

As a side note my cars stops at all new Bagged signals that are still dark. I hate that one. I have several new ones going up on my weekend drive.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
It is not as far fetched as you might think. One of my co-workers complained about a light that he mistook almost got into an accident. The city repaired the lights (installed shades).
Good suggestion I have submitted this to the town along with the photo via a public app that includes issues/problems with traffic lights. Let's see what happens when they triage the issue #.

Reactions: EVNow
10.12.2 appears to modulate speed much better for winding roads. It slows for a turn earlier and smoother. Not human smooth, but sufficiently comfortable for me. A bit on the conservative/slow side, but this is probably the car intentionally staying under a certain lateral-G threshold.
I would agree, except around VERY curvy roads/blind corners. For this, 12.2 often plows ahead and gets itself into trouble - taking it way too fast, then slamming the brakes while awkwardly trying to straighten out but still crossing the double yellow line.

Interestingly, my initial drives on 12.2 were as bad/even worse with blind corners than previous versions, but my last few attempts on the same road were remarkably better. In past versions, I've found performance to degrade over time, but so far with 12.2, it seems to have gotten better with time. It really makes me wonder if there's some sort of local cache involved in its decision-making.

To be clear, the red arms do not indicate a strike. A strike is ignoring repeated warnings. red arms means FSD encountered a situation it can’t handle. it happens to me daily. Not a strike.

A "strike" is when you get put in autopilot jail - that is, the car has warned you to pay attention/apply turning force to the wheel and you ignore the warnings. At that point autopilot disengages and will not let you reengage for the rest of that drive. You have stop the car, put it park and then back to drive to get it enable AP again.

You can tell how many strikes you have by looking the AP setting page and read the text under the "FSD Beta" switch. It will tell you how many strikes you have so far
Geez, I guess these people weren’t here 16 pages ago when I complained about the “red hands of death”. I’m very much aware how this whole thing works and have been in beta since the original press the button try-outs. Thanks for the explanations though.

My issue was that the red hands would not go away no matter how much I jerked off the yoke, causing a strike. It told me to pay attention, but I was already paying attention, and couldn’t pay anymore attention. It’s now at 1/5 strikes. Further attempts to use FSD yielded in double the annoyance between playing whack-a-mole with the yoke and the nonstop red hands for paying attention. In this version, Tesla forced cabin camera to be on, I’ve had it turned off the entire time prior. (Share analytics for Cabin Camera was unchecked, now it forces you to have it checked whether you like it or not)

Aaaaaand that’s when I gave up on doing anymore testing on 10.12.2. Just figured I’ll check in here to see if anything new and exciting came up, but it sounds like I haven’t missed out on anything with this version.

Geez, I guess these people weren’t here 16 pages ago when I complained about the “red hands of death”. I’m very much aware how this whole thing works and have been in beta since the original press the button try-outs. Thanks for the explanations though.

My issue was that the red hands would not go away no matter how much I jerked off the yoke, causing a strike. It told me to pay attention, but I was already paying attention, and couldn’t pay anymore attention. It’s now at 1/5 strikes. Further attempts to use FSD yielded in double the annoyance between playing whack-a-mole with the yoke and the nonstop red hands for paying attention. In this version, Tesla forced cabin camera to be on, I’ve had it turned off the entire time prior. (Share analytics for Cabin Camera was unchecked, now it forces you to have it checked whether you like it or not)

Aaaaaand that’s when I gave up on doing anymore testing on 10.12.2. Just figured I’ll check in here to see if anything new and exciting came up, but it sounds like I haven’t missed out on anything with this version.
Not sure Tesla is the reason your being Forced to turn on the cabin camera. Plus we all bought a car with a camera inside so if that was such a big brother concern most should not have made that choice to hide someone watching you do whatever in your car.

Reactions: sleepydoc