Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure Tesla is the reason your being Forced to turn on the cabin camera. Plus we all bought a car with a camera inside so if that was such a big brother concern most should not have made that choice to hide someone watching you do whatever in your car.
Tesla is actually exactly who forced me to turn it on lol. I’ve had it unchecked since I got the car and had no issues (since July 2021). Now they’re forcing it to be on if you have FSD.

And let’s not get into the semantics of “we all bought a car with a camera inside”. We also all bought a car with windshield wipers but I also don’t want those to be on every time I drive the car. Or the stereo. Or heated seats.

If the camera is there to help not have to jerk off the steering wheel, then get rid of the steering wheel nag. If it’s there just in case for crashes, then it needs to stop crying about someone having a cellphone within its view. I shouldn’t have to feel like the Driver’s Ed instructor is sitting in the front seat, and my wife and mother sitting in the back seat, when I drive my car.

Reactions: 2101Guy
In past versions, I've found performance to degrade over time, but so far with 12.2, it seems to have gotten better with time. It really makes me wonder if there's some sort of local cache involved in its decision-making.
This.

Although I could be mistaken, my car feels it is improving as I drive more. Once again, yesterday, I had the best drive since inception of my FSD Beta.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Now they’re forcing it to be on if you have FSD.
No, they are forcing it to be on as condition of participating I the pre-release beta. If you don't join the beta, then you don't need to have it on for the released version of FSD.

I'm guessing when city streets version of FSD is released to anyone, then you won't need to have the camera analytics on, just like now.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes - besides with GM and others using the camera, NHTSA can force Tesla to use it as well. NHTSA won't do anything that would anger the big 3 - but Tesla is a small fish for them.
I doubt that NHTSA would force Tesla to use the camera for attentiveness monitoring. That would be dictating a solution. What they would be more likely to do is to require car makers to prove they have a mechanism that meets requirements for attentiveness.

I fully expect that using the interior camera will be the solution that Tesla ultimately adopts.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
I doubt that NHTSA would force Tesla to use the camera for attentiveness monitoring. That would be dictating a solution. What they would be more likely to do is to require car makers to prove they have a mechanism that meets requirements for attentiveness.

I fully expect that using the interior camera will be the solution that Tesla ultimately adopts.
Tesla is already using the interior camera on FSD Beta builds to monitor attentiveness, even on the highway despite not being on a single stack yet. If you look away for too long (several seconds) or have a phone in your hand for just a second or two, the car warns you to "Pay attention to the road". I haven't tested repeated such offenses but I'm pretty sure the consequences are severe.

Tesla is already using the interior camera on FSD Beta builds to monitor attentiveness, even on the highway despite not being on a single stack yet. If you look away for too long (several seconds) or have a phone in your hand for just a second or two, the car warns you to "Pay attention to the road". I haven't tested repeated such offenses but I'm pretty sure the consequences are severe.
Yes, I am very familiar with the FSD beta monitor features. But basic AP does not (yet) require the camera, though I expect that eventually it will for those with camera-equipped cars.

I just wish, wish, wish they would remove the tug on the wheel requirement where the camera is watching if you are paying attention. That would be awesome!
The "problem(?)" is that Tesla wants your eyes on the road and your hand upon the wheel (bonus points if you read that to the tune of the Doors). It would require a wider angle camera to be able to see your hand on the steering wheel.

So for now at least, we have the wheel tug and eye nanny both.

No, they are forcing it to be on as condition of participating I the pre-release beta. If you don't join the beta, then you don't need to have it on for the released version of FSD.

I'm guessing when city streets version of FSD is released to anyone, then you won't need to have the camera analytics on, just like now.

Yes, I am very familiar with the FSD beta monitor features. But basic AP does not (yet) require the camera, though I expect that eventually it will for those with camera-equipped cars.
It’s also forced on my Model Y with no FSD and the share cabin cam analytics check box unchecked. I’m now at a point where I don’t use FSD or AP on either car. Just the TACC, which seems to behave better with much less phantom braking without AP or FSD.

I just wish, wish, wish they would remove the tug on the wheel requirement where the camera is watching if you are paying attention. That would be awesome!
Agreed, BUT, Tesla doesnt require you to have your hands on the wheel at all. They intentionally coded the software to allow you to simply increase or decrease the stereo volume with the scroll wheel to override the nag. If they went that far, seems like they would also just let the interior camera (on cars so equipped) monitor you like some other car companies do with their enhanced driving (notice I didnt say autopilot) features.

Then again, this is the same company whose CEO said "oh yeah..just a small firmware update to allow your yoke airbag to activate the horn. Coming soon." (last November..and NO one has detected any form of switch behind the airbag that would allow horn activation)

Is it possible..that he didnt even KNOW that there was no switch behind the airbag? And just tweeted that out of his ass?

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and Ramphex
It’s also forced on my Model Y with no FSD and the share cabin cam analytics check box unchecked.
Wait, I thought (one of) your complaint was that you forced to opt-in to cabin camera analytics. You're saying that you were forced to have that checkbox on even in a non-FSD car? I don't think so.

If what you meant to complain about is having the cabin monitoring at all, then yes, that is forced. But with the analytics off, then the video/image never leaves the car.

Wait, I thought (one of) your complaint was that you forced to opt-in to cabin camera analytics. You're saying that you were forced to have that checkbox on even in a non-FSD car? I don't think so.

If what you meant to complain about is having the cabin monitoring at all, then yes, that is forced. But with the analytics off, then the video/image never leaves the car.
Maybe it’s some weird coincidence then but in my MSLR, I never got any camera related prompts until the latest firmware that forced the analytics to be on. On MYLR, the cabin camera is aids regardless whether the analytics are toggled or not.

Can you IMAGINE that phone call conversation?

"hello, city official? Imma need you to have a crew go to the corner of Oak street and Vine avenue, and have them twist the stoplight 10 degrees to the left, so that my Tesla can see it better. Thanks"

🤣 🤣
More than 20 years ago State Farm created a list of the worst intersections in Illinois and actually offered grants to cities to improve them (e.g. widen lanes, change signals, increase visibility). I used to drive through one of them almost every day.

So there’s precedent for a private company to look over their data and reach out to local governments to request and even fund improvements.

Agreed, BUT, Tesla doesnt require you to have your hands on the wheel at all. They intentionally coded the software to allow you to simply increase or decrease the stereo volume with the scroll wheel to override the nag.
Thanks for this. I had no idea and was trying to every-so-often wiggle the wheel to avoid alerts. Volume up/down really does work. So much easier.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks for this. I had no idea and was trying to every-so-often wiggle the wheel to avoid alerts. Volume up/down really does work. So much easier.
You can also learn just the right amount of steady pressure (no wiggling) by keeping your hand hanging on the side/bottom of the wheel. There is a point where it is enough to register as hands on wheel but not enough to disengage FSD (works the same on Navigate on Autopilot.)

I actually use a combination of hanging hand pressure and hands off and moving the scroll wheels. Just depends on what I am feeling at the moment. :)

You can also learn just the right amount of steady pressure (no wiggling) by keeping your hand hanging on the side/bottom of the wheel. There is a point where it is enough to register as hands on wheel but not enough to disengage FSD (works the same on Navigate on Autopilot.)

I actually use a combination of hanging hand pressure and hands off and moving the scroll wheels. Just depends on what I am feeling at the moment. :)
Thanks. Yeah I had gotten to the point of noticing i could move the wheel sufficiently to not disengage AP (and not change car direction) yet still satisfy the nanny. I'll probably use a combination of both as well.

First time using FSDb a few minutes ago. I wasn't comfortable letting it do very much, but I did notice it tried to change into the right lane with a left turn imminent. I know that's been much discussed.