Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some of us the tug on wheel requirement is of no value. After 30K miles of miles of driving on Autopilot, and countless nags, the false positive rate for the nag is still essentially 100%. In contrast the camera does occasionally notice when I am not paying attention (but mostly it doesn't like me scratching my head)
I understand and get unnecessary nags too when my hand is already on the wheel. My greater concern is the current capability of FSD Beta and NOT having one or both hands on the wheel.

Anyone else having issues with the USB drive for the dash cam? Ever since 10.12, I've been getting the red X on the dash cam icon. The associated message is to check the USB drive. However, that doesn't seem to be the actual problem since I've re-formatted the existing drive and also tried band new ones. The work-around to temporarily fix it seems to be to remove and re-insert. However, it keeps happening and is annoying.

Anyone else having issues with the USB drive for the dash cam? Ever since 10.12, I've been getting the red X on the dash cam icon. The associated message is to check the USB drive. However, that doesn't seem to be the actual problem since I've re-formatted the existing drive and also tried band new ones. The work-around to temporarily fix it seems to be to remove and re-insert. However, it keeps happening and is annoying.
Have had this problem since the most recent update.
Also noticed the USB drive is really hot to the touch whenever I have removed and put back in. Every time it's been hot 🔥

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Have had this problem since the most recent update.
Also noticed the USB drive is really hot to the touch whenever I have removed and put back in. Every time it's been hot 🔥
It's a known bug. Elon even tweeted about what's causing it and that Tesla will fix it with an update. Unless you have something that you need on the USB drive, reformatting the drive fixes the issue at least for a while. The problem does reoccur, though.

Has anyone had a problem with FSDb and auto wipers? I drove about 90 miles yesterday in perfectly dry weather, beautiful blue sky with scattered white clouds, and a perfectly clear windshield…and my wipers would start sweeping every 10 seconds or so. This would continue for 15 minutes or so, then stop, then start up again after 30-60 minutes.

And that’s how I found out that when you’re using FSDb, or even TACC, it forces the wipers to be on auto even if you try to turn them off. So I had to choose between FSD/Autopilot/Cruise Control with wipers sweeping a perfectly dry windshield or no assist at all.
I washed the car the other day, and left some water spots near the front camera. Wipers were on the whole trip to work. Once I wiped off the spots, worked fine. You might want to check the cleanliness of your windshield in front of the camera.

I washed the car the other day, and left some water spots near the front camera. Wipers were on the whole trip to work. Once I wiped off the spots, worked fine. You might want to check the cleanliness of your windshield in front of the camera.
This - Tesla uses the camera for the auto wiper functions. That means what matters is not the windshield as a whole but only the section in front of the cameras. It's not unlike when you're a passenger and there's a huge smear in front of you but the driver's side is clear and the driver doesn't really notice or care.

10.12.2 has resolved several intersections that haven't worked properly since my first FSDbeta build last October. Gives me hope for the future.

However, 10.12.2 also displays some of the worst behavior I have ever seen. Most noticeable are totally unexpected turns where the planner without any reason decides to take an immediate left or right. Today I had to stop using FSD with my wife in the car after a particularly harsh left hand turn where I had quickly override FSD's decision. It's these type of situations that makes you feel you're fighting FSD since it takes a concerted effort to over come FSD's steering.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yeah I‘ve had the same feeling. I’m trying to train myself to give a quick tap on the brake when i need to disengage, since the wheel sometimes takes extra effort, and the erratic movement of the car can alarm folks.
Disengaging by quickly gapping on the brake is a pretty normal approach but when FSD has already started the unexpected turn getting the car back in a safe direction is the prime directive IMO.

Thanks but I did check and the camera portion was clean (at least to my eyes - I guess there could have been something blocking infrared…).

Reactions: sleepydoc
I wonder how many steps backwards version FSD 11.0 will have based upon Musk's comment that it wasn't ready for release?
It doesn't take a lot for him to say FSD blows his mind or whatever, so when he isn't "gaga" over something, it really isn't ready for release.

I wonder how many steps backwards version FSD 11.0 will have based upon Musk's comment that it wasn't ready for release?
It doesn't take a lot for him to say FSD blows his mind or whatever, so when he isn't "gaga" over something, it really isn't ready for release.
I’m expecting it to be a significant step backwards. If they combine the AP and FSD stacks as expected it means a significant rewrite of the code which always means more bugs. They’ll get the bugs ironed out but it will take some time. That’s just the nature of software development.

Reactions: RabidYak
I’m expecting it to be a significant step backwards. If they combine the AP and FSD stacks as expected it means a significant rewrite of the code which always means more bugs. They’ll get the bugs ironed out but it will take some time. That’s just the nature of software development.
....so are saying there is a SLIM chance we may not have robotaxies before the end of the year?

I just hope that they don't mess up the current barely useful NOA. I use that quite often on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Francisco to relieve long driving stress. I have learned how to avoid the existing systems problem areas.

I see it a long way before FSD beta on local streets is useful to help on relaxing my drives on local streets. In 6 months they have yet to correct the simple driving on the right side of unmarked local streets and Jerky turns. It seems the old reliable lane keeping will do at the moment to help a little.

I always said, garbage in garbage out. The current Beta does not allow inputs of users unmarked centering preference, turning mechanics inputs etc to teach the system. So the testers keep on trying to go on with no disengagements, skewing the most preferred inputs for the system to learn.

The problem with Teslas sensing scenario is it encourages bad driving habits steering wheel holding.

If you have both hands on the steering wheel in the proper place there is “hardly” ever any torque on either side. A major flaw as a 4 time Model S owner I can 💯💯 say as fact.
This is how I hold the wheel when FSD Beta is engaged:

A807CCD3-1EC0-4755-9AFA-3C75F99E2D25.jpeg

Maybe a little looser than what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends (see https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/steeringtechniques.pdf) but steering with the fingertips lets me feel as the car steers plus lets me put in just the right amount of torque to let the car know I’m still there without taking over. And it’s easy to just grab the wheel if it starts doing something I don’t like.

The old school recommendation is to hold your hands at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock. My understanding is that’s no longer recommended because of what happens to your arms when the steering wheel airbag is deployed.

I just hope that they don't mess up the current barely useful NOA. I use that quite often on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Francisco to relieve long driving stress. I have learned how to avoid the existing systems problem areas.

I see it a long way before FSD beta on local streets is useful to help on relaxing my drives on local streets. In 6 months they have yet to correct the simple driving on the right side of unmarked local streets and Jerky turns. It seems the old reliable lane keeping will do at the moment to help a little.

I always said, garbage in garbage out. The current Beta does not allow inputs of users unmarked centering preference, turning mechanics inputs etc to teach the system. So the testers keep on trying to go on with no disengagements, skewing the most preferred inputs for the system to learn.
My guess is that they'll release the combined stack to FSD Beta users first to test and tune the system before releasing the AP and NoA features to the rest of the fleet.