Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a very subjective action. For some people, slowing more rapidly is uncomfortable and they misinterpret it as a phantom brake, until they realize the speed limit changed. For others it's too gradual, like yourself. It's hard to find a happy medium that will make everyone satisfied.
I've been on FSDb since 10.3 and FSD has never once slowed down for speed limits in an acceptable way for law enforcement. Doing 60mph in a 35 will get you a ticket regardless. Even worse when the limit gradually drops from 70 - 55 - 40 and you're still doing 60 after blowing through the entire 50mph slowdown zone.
AP always slows down for speed limits really well, at least until FSDb takes over below 65. FSDb is useless in that regard, its almost like it selects neutral rather than actually slowing down.

Reactions: sleepydoc
That's what I hear now too. I guess GM's Ultra Cruise uses LIDAR and Mobileye's door to door system uses HD maps so they don't count. Also they're L2 and FSD is L5.
It’s tough to follow in Tesla’s footsteps when they are consistently making quantum leaps. We can only imagine what the bleeding edge build is like now.
DEF512E8-A022-4088-AEE9-A8F25DA0EF0D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: thewishmaster
I think it's possible it's intentionally bad to keep you safety drivers in an agitated state!
BTW, I really do think this is improbable. If there were an example of a Tesla automation system which was smooth, then I might agree.

But there isn’t. There’s only their core vehicle motor control which is silky smooth, has gone through a series of revisions to get to that point (people complained initially about hold mode), but does not involve NNs or count as “automation.”

BTW, I really do think this is improbable. If there were an example of a Tesla automation system which was smooth, then I might agree.

But there isn’t. There’s only their core vehicle motor control which is silky smooth, has gone through a series of revisions to get to that point (people complained initially about hold mode), but does not involve NNs or count as “automation.”
Autosteer is smooth. They did really smooth out TACC for cut-ins versus when I got the car. It's still garbage in stop and go though.
I agree that the throttle pedal tuning is flawless.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Autosteer is smooth. They did really smooth out TACC for cut-ins versus when I got the car. It's still garbage in stop and go though.
Meh. Definitely some improvements with cut-ins. Steering is mostly smooth but not asking much of it. TACC in general smooth? No. Better? Sure. Even prior to my graduation to glorious TeslaVision, it was improved even on the archaic hardware.
I don’t think this counts as Tesla Autopilot team being capable of producing smooth control systems, yet. They are trying but even for cut-ins there are still failures.

I think it is maybe extremely tricky? The output of all this NN junk and other planning stuff is kind of noisy and has to be filtered, but that may not be acceptable since it alters the response and adds latency. Still, seems like it should be possible to be smooth if the possible outputs are restricted except for “emergencies.” May be time for a fundamental architectural rewrite and quantum leap.

Last edited:
It’s tough to follow in Tesla’s footsteps when they are consistently making quantum leaps. We can only imagine what the bleeding edge build is like now.
View attachment 820215
So, two years ago FSD was at "almost zero interventions"? Looks as if it's regressed since then!

(Also, and this is a pet peeve, a "quantum leap" is the smallest possible leap.)

• Funny
Reactions: tmoz
(I need to try that intersection again just to see if it was a fluke; I’ll take a video)!
I did take a video, but rather than bother with uploading and attempting to blur out details, I'll just post a few stills of the intersection in question showing how the car proceeded (Ashley Falls & Brookburn Dr, eastbound on Brookburn turning north onto Ashley Falls).

Plunges right ahead at 16mph into the intersection, veering way to the left across Brookburn, cutting the corner (it would have met anyone turning onto Brookburn head on; observe the lines on the concrete to get a reference point). I obviously was watching for traffic carefully, but there was no way the car could see anyone coming southbound on Ashley Falls due to the wall on the left, until too late to avoid a sudden stop.

It's hard to describe in pictures or even the video how far the car cranked to the left. But you can see the wheel turned hard over well before the intersection - it is veering into the other lane of traffic on Brookburn, totally cutting the corner (as has been described elsewhere). Nevermind that a normal person would slow to 5-10mph at the fastest, since you are obligated to stop if there is cross traffic, and would proceed without turning until entering the intersection. I disengaged just after the last image at about 15mph to make absolutely sure there was no cross traffic.

And that's hand sanitizer on the gear stalk. Not a defeat device.

Anyway this is typical stuff (the corner cutting). It's somewhat surprising to me how aggressively it approaches this intersection though. Seems incorrect. Probably enough testing of this FSD 10.12 on surface streets at this point. There is not much more purpose in it.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.52.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.53.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.54.19 PM.png

I did take a video, but rather than bother with uploading and attempting to blur out details, I'll just post a few stills of the intersection in question showing how the car proceeded (Ashley Falls & Brookburn Dr, eastbound on Brookburn turning north onto Ashley Falls).

Plunges right ahead at 16mph into the intersection, veering way to the left across Brookburn, cutting the corner (it would have met anyone turning onto Brookburn head on; observe the lines on the concrete to get a reference point). I obviously was watching for traffic carefully, but there was no way the car could see anyone coming southbound on Ashley Falls due to the wall on the left, until too late to avoid a sudden stop.

It's hard to describe in pictures or even the video how far the car cranked to the left. But you can see the wheel turned hard over well before the intersection - it is veering into the other lane of traffic on Brookburn, totally cutting the corner (as has been described elsewhere). Nevermind that a normal person would slow to 5-10mph at the fastest, since you are obligated to stop if there is cross traffic, and would proceed without turning until entering the intersection. I disengaged just after the last image at about 15mph to make absolutely sure there was no cross traffic.

And that's hand sanitizer on the gear stalk. Not a defeat device.

Anyway this is typical stuff (the corner cutting). It's somewhat surprising to me how aggressively it approaches this intersection though. Seems incorrect. Probably enough testing of this FSD 10.12 on surface streets at this point. There is not much more purpose in it.

View attachment 820341View attachment 820340View attachment 820342
Looks more like a bottle of Astroglide lube hanging off your wheel... what do you actually do in your Tesla?... wait ✋️... I don't want to know LOL!

Yea Quantum Leap is an oxymoron like Head Over Heels.
I apologize for the pedantry, but I could not resist intervening here. Neither "quantum leap" nor "head over heels" are oxymorons. An oxymoron refers to the pairing of two words or terms that are in opposition to one another when separated, yet when paired somehow make sense; it is engaging to the listener or reader. Juliet calling Romeo a beautiful tyrant is an example of an oxymoron. The phrase "deafening silence" is also an oxymoron. "Jumbo shrimp" is not an oxymoron.