Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point when FSD goes wide release (non beta) Tesla will need this resolved. What happens when a non beta tester just accepts a UPL and an accident results?
Nothing is perfect. When it's released out of beta it'll be as good as possible, but not perfect. It's an L2 assist feature so it will be made clear that the driver is in control.

If the driver feels the UPL you described is not safe and the car proceeds, the driver needs to take over. Any accident would be the drivers responsibility, unless the other driver was at fault. There have been many times Tesla has avoided an accident, or prevented one from being worse when it was the other driver's fault (see Chucks video for an example).

Nothing is perfect. When it's released out of beta it'll be as good as possible, but not perfect. It's an L2 assist feature so it will be made clear that the driver is in control.

If the driver feels the UPL you described is not safe and the car proceeds, the driver needs to take over. Any accident would be the drivers responsibility, unless the other driver was at fault. There have been many times Tesla has avoided an accident, or prevented one from being worse when it was the other driver's fault (see Chucks video for an example).
Totally agree. Hopefully as FSD matures these situations will diminish over time.

Totally agree. Hopefully as FSD matures these situations will diminish over time.
I can't imagine accidents not happening at some time soon with the increased numbers of beta testers. Not that the new people are less careful, but that the number of times the dice are getting rolled is increasing. Then there will be consequences...

I can't imagine accidents not happening at some time soon with the increased numbers of beta testers. Not that the new people are less careful, but that the number of times the dice are getting rolled is increasing. Then there will be consequences...
My concern is that so many drivers will want to show off FSD to friends and not pay attention. Look at the Plaid owners who now want to show off the acceleration and speed the car is capable of. Is the Plaid safe driving 140 mph on the interstate by a person with no training as a race track NASCAR driver? Fact is if a NASCAR licensed drive did that he would be banned from professional NASCAR driving.

When I had the beta, and took a passenger for a ride, I’d brief them on what to expect. If they agreed I’d say (see attached).

1654855714792.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: mcvaughan and tmoz
My concern is that so many drivers will want to show off FSD to friends and not pay attention. Look at the Plaid owners who now want to show off the acceleration and speed the car is capable of. Is the Plaid safe driving 140 mph on the interstate by a person with no training as a race track NASCAR driver? Fact is if a NASCAR licensed drive did that he would be banned from professional NASCAR driving.
A Nascar driver needs a license to make left hand turns in a circle? Tough test.

Reactions: bizi
If a normal civilian, pretty good driver, were deposited onto a race track with nothing but other professional NASCAR drivers, he would almost certainly cause an accident.

If a NASCAR driver (a real one would never agree to this) were given a Plaid to drive on the interstate at 140 mph among civilian drivers, he would almost certainly cause an accident.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: tmoz and sleepydoc

Hope this works better than ULT changes in 10.12.2.

Currently roundabout issues I have are
- still very hesitant and jerky at small roundabouts
- still can’t accurately figure out whether a vehicle coming from left needs to be yielded to
Looking forward then to 10.13 since when there are no cars in the roundabout FSD still stops before entering the large roundabout I take every day. And the ride around the rotary after entering is much worse than it used to be. Jerky throughout.
In general though 10.12.2 is better then the previous build for me.

So? Even if “just” 50.1% of the time, that would be a remarkable achievement. No other autonomous driving company can even attempt such a challenging maneuver.

People in these FSD beta threads have far too little appreciation for how challenging this problem is.

I’ll just point out the alternative to fixing the unprotected left turn is potential death.

Looking forward then to 10.13 since when there are no cars in the roundabout FSD still stops before entering the large roundabout I take every day. And the ride around the rotary after entering is much worse than it used to be. Jerky throughout.
In general though 10.12.2 is better then the previous build for me.
Multi-lane ?

Single lane large roundabouts are fine for me. FSD slows down to about 14 mph, which is fine. It even handles traffic in the roundabout - but have to be careful since - sometimes it doesn't seem to realize it needs to stop. In one instance FSD cleared showed it was tracking a vehicle coming from left (in blue) but wanted to enter the roundabout even when the tracked vehicle was just yards away.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Multi-lane ?

Single lane large roundabouts are fine for me. FSD slows down to about 14 mph, which is fine. It even handles traffic in the roundabout - but have to be careful since - sometimes it doesn't seem to realize it needs to stop. In one instance FSD cleared showed it was tracking a vehicle coming from left (in blue) but wanted to enter the roundabout even when the tracked vehicle was just yards away.
Yes multi lane although people don't drive it that way

It sounds like you aren't that familiar with NASCAR culture.
"Culture" is a good word for it. My information came from a group of six students who were in my private scuba diving class. They were all NASCAR drivers and the discussion of what happens if a NASCAR driver loses his license for violating state law. They told me it depends on how much money is involved. The big winners can get away with anything including DUI. The "culture" is such that if a driver brings in the big bucks they will give the driver a pass for public roads violations. My students all agreed that they weren't in that league so if one of them got a speeding ticket, they would come under review. NASCAR fine and suspension. They purposefully do not require a driver's license to race so they can make up rules for each case. Other than that I don't follow NASCAR.