Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's how I see it:

Tesla chooses what to focus on for each release, and they don't necessarily prioritize beta tester feedback. Hypothetically if beta testers never submitted any feedback, Tesla would still be releasing updates. What is unclear is how much influence beta tester feedback has on their priorities. In 10.13, one line item I saw called out was improved performance on wide residential roads. This feels heavily influenced by beta tester feedback. Did a youtuber make their channel's mission to showcase wide residential roads for them to work on this issue? Clearly not. This was likely a ton of beta testers reporting the issue AND Tesla was ready to address it. UPLs happen to be one of the most difficult maneuvers for manual or auto driving. That's why Chuck focused on it, and even if Chuck never existed, Tesla would eventually have to put effort to improve it.

Just because there is a lack of transparency with how Tesla uses beta tester data and feedback doesn't mean we're being ignored. Their instructions were clear: just use the system and intervene when necessary. That alone gives them the data they need to prioritize what they want to focus on.

That said, I do believe Tesla might have fast-tracked their focus on UPLs because of Chuck's channel. So maybe we need to get some aspiring YT'er to start a channel showcasing nothing but rotaries. Or school zones and school buses. Finding a niche with FSDb has never been easier!
When you read about hundreds of thousands of training videos in the release notes, you can be assured that those videos didn't all come from employees.

I'm new to Teslas and new to this forum. Seems like there's a lot of trolling and misunderstanding of people's motivations for buying FSD. So here's my perspective, for what it's worth.

I have a MYP on order (EDD Sept 13 - Oct 18 2022) and I am delighted to pony up the $12k for FSD.

Yes, I know FSD is not ready for general public use.
Yes, I know I will have to pay as much or more attention to FSD driving than my own driving.
Yes, I know it will make mistakes.
Yes, I know I'm paying for the privilege of running incomplete beta software.
Yes, I know I'm paying to train Tesla's AI stack.
Yes, I know there's a good chance FSD won't be ready for a loooooong time, despite what Elon has been saying for years and years.
Yes, I know it's not going to drive me around everywhere and take a burden off me.

And I'm STILL excited! I'm a tech nerd. I work in a very high tech computing field where reverse-engineering complex technology stacks is part of my day job. I'm thrilled to get a chance to play with FSD beta, to learn its quirks, foibles, and its successes. I'm stoked to watch what happens with every upgrade of the software and to live in it as it gets better and better.

Do I expect it to work well the majority of the time? Of course not. That's not why I'm buying it.

All of which to say: putting aside the trolls for now, if a reasonable person has no use for a not-fully-functional FSD, then I understand why such a person would be baffled by people paying $12k for it. Why pay $12k for a thing that's more work/stress than driving yourself?!? My wife says of FSD: "I'd never use it, it sounds terrible. I'd be too stressed out the entire time thinking I'm going to crash."

But if I can understand that point of view, I'm sure the nay-sayers - with a modicum of effort to put oneself in the shoes of others and entertain a different perspective - can come to realize that for some of us FSD isn't a chore. It's not a burden. It's not hard work. It's not even that we expect it to be functional. We don't feel ripped off. We're getting exactly what we paid for.

This kind of technology is exciting and interesting simply for its own sake. And I'm looking forward to the thrill of playing with a bleeding edge self-driving car!
I have it and use it almost all the time, (when I’m driving alone. It terrifies passengers when it swerves, phantom brakes or Screams a red steering wheel warning about nothing at all.) 90% of the time it’s fine. Even though I have to remain alert and occasionally causes a high blood pressure moment, overall it is more comforting to let FSD do the driving than doing it all myself.

I'm guessing we, the Beta testers, provided a great many of those 37,000 clips with our report button. I might be overly optimistic, and the truth might lie somewhere in the middle.
This is a good point, but it also illustrates another problem with the FSD Beta. We're not told what process the reports go through.

It's just this opaque process where you have no idea if what you report is being interpreted correctly or how long its even saved for.

What I do believe based on what I've read is Tesla will setup triggers to capture video clips its interested in. Even people that never hit the report data were seeing a ton of data being sent back.

They also didn't make the report button all that big which didn't help matters.

I think they would have been much better off actively pruning the amount of testers, and engaging with them more. Instead they took a very slow, and passive approach. It's only really gotten exciting now that 10.13 is pending which has first real challenge.

I still have serious reservations with the current 10.12 and the lack of front bumper side view cameras.

As someone who previously owned an Audi with front left, center, right as well as the same for rear along with side mirror cameras the front (and rear) bumper side facing cameras are godsend in urban areas with single lane streets (and alleys) with buildings without corner windows pushed out to the sidewalk and tall SUV’s and trucks parked illegally into the intersecting driveway. The only way to get out is to BLINDLY enter oncoming traffic, slowly. EXCEPT I can’t keep track of the number of times beta has (faster than I would) pull out into the first lane and STOP in front of oncoming traffic instead of proceeding where other lanes are clear. If oncoming traffix had not stopped or I had quickly not taken over and gone back or forward I would have been hit.

Likewise I don’t know how many times the car has tried to proceed through red lights that are right after a turn due to offset double intersections. Or how many times it has approached a red light for a left turn and it’s tried to go through the light, over and over. Sometimes it looks like it thinks it’s a flashing red briefly but doesn’t stop and go it just thinks there is no red when it clearly shows on the screen.

Ack!

Pretty much every week beta tries to kill me, if I were to let it. But we need to continue down this path. Eventually, we’re going to get to a point that it’s better, much better. At which point it will do things we can’t and be safer than above average or excellent drivers.

Last edited:
.....and in actually 10.13 related news. 10.13 has now fallen off TeslaFi Firmware tracker page since it has been so looooooooong since the 1 car got it.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 5.48.39 AM.png

This is a good point, but it also illustrates another problem with the FSD Beta. We're not told what process the reports go through.

It's just this opaque process where you have no idea if what you report is being interpreted correctly or how long its even saved for.

What I do believe based on what I've read is Tesla will setup triggers to capture video clips its interested in. Even people that never hit the report data were seeing a ton of data being sent back.

They also didn't make the report button all that big which didn't help matters.

I think they would have been much better off actively pruning the amount of testers, and engaging with them more. Instead they took a very slow, and passive approach. It's only really gotten exciting now that 10.13 is pending which has first real challenge.
Yea…. Agree.

Other thing that I find interesting is that my car uploads about 90 gigs per day to Tesla……. But if I dont Hit the record button or hit it 10 times.. it’s always 90 gigs

Yea…. Agree.

Other thing that I find interesting is that my car uploads about 90 gigs per day to Tesla……. But if I dont Hit the record button or hit it 10 times.. it’s always 90 gigs
Are you sure about that number? That would be 2.7TB of data a month. Many residential ISPs have data caps which would be destroyed by that amount. I'm not saying it doesn't upload, that just seems like a lot.

Are you sure about that number? That would be 2.7TB of data a month. Many residential ISPs have data caps which would be destroyed by that amount. I'm not saying it doesn't upload, that just seems like a lot.
Probably 90gigaBITS = 9 gigaBYTES

My car averages around 3 gigaBYTES/day with a high of around 5GB/day over the last month with daily use of FSD Beta 10.13

See purple line in graph-

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 8.25.52 AM.png

Probably 90gigaBITS = 9 gigaBYTES

My car averages around 3 gigaBYTES/day with a high of around 5GB/day over the last month with daily use of FSD Beta 10.13

See purple line in graph-

View attachment 833383
That would be 11.25GB (GigaBytes). Regardless of that though, who even measures anything in bits other than speed and colors?

(More or less simultaneous duplicate of above…)

Unclear if there will be more drone surveillance:

Still working on it! No reason to release an update with known bugs.
Anyway, still not working. I definitely should have added a time limit to the bet, though obviously I can back out at any time.

I am very happy they are not releasing it, since to some extent that demonstrates that I effectively won the bet. And it is also good. Looking forward to flawless and incredibly repeatable unprotected lefts.

Last edited:
Is there any update on this freaking update? Has been forever since 10.12. I think they are struggling at chucks turn badly. It would be bad press if the update designed to fix that turn couldn’t even do that turn.
Patience. Worrying when 10.13 will be released isn't good for the health:)

Did people see this a few days ago? Apparently from an internal 10.13 tester. Seems to be planning pretty far out, which feels like a good sign. Fingers crossed that will help with lane selection for upcoming turns 🤞

Yes. Notes for 10.13 says that route planning projects farther out now. Or at least shows further out. Not sure if it processes further or just shows it more.

But route planning and directions list don't always agree anyway. Heck route planning likes to flip flop routes, even when sitting at a red light.