Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the civil fines and jail time are for cutting vegetation that gets in the way of doing a right or left.

One of these days I'm going to lose it, and I'll be arrested with a chain saw.

Maybe have a truck with a deployable side hedger.
Is your department of motor vehicles not responsive? I was successful in getting vegetation removed at a problematic corner (also cleared more myself after they cut offending vine covered scrub trees). This was initiated after watching a neighbor run the sign and almost get rear ended by oncoming traffic. If you can make a strong case for safety, you may be successful.

I imagine the lot of us fanning the country and demanding safe intersections.

Before:

before-sign.jpg

After, 100' visibility from sight of sign to parallel with sign:

after-sign.jpg

Of course, though the sign is finally visualized by FSDb, it is ignored :-(

Is your department of motor vehicles not responsive? I was successful in getting vegetation removed at a problematic corner (also cleared more myself after they cut offending vine covered scrub trees). This was initiated after watching a neighbor run the sign and almost get rear ended by oncoming traffic. If you can make a strong case for safety, you may be successful.

I imagine the lot of us fanning the country and demanding safe intersections.

Before:

View attachment 834549

After, 100' visibility from sight of sign to parallel with sign:

View attachment 834550

Of course, though the sign is finally visualized by FSDb, it is ignored :-(
That was quite horrible and super dangerous. Somebody's DOT was not doing their job.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
They are in the back seat and get flung forwards into the back of the driver seat.

He needs a dog hammock. Although it won’t solve this problem entirely it could help.

Also phantom braking is really not that bad. Super annoying. But not extreme.
Your PB may not really be that bad. Mine is. TACC and AP are not usable if you are on a road with other traffic. I tried to tolerate the sudden drops of 20 or 30 mph at shadows, heat mirages, blinking yellow lights, etc. But the 70 => 10 mph simultaneously with a violent dive into the left lane because of skid marks, convinced me that they are not ready for prime time yet. I have to disable everything possible, then drive as carefully as possible and live with the unsafe followings because of all the things driving PB.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Your PB may not really be that bad. Mine is. TACC and AP are not usable if you are on a road with other traffic. I tried to tolerate the sudden drops of 20 or 30 mph at shadows, heat mirages, blinking yellow lights, etc. But the 70 => 10 mph simultaneously with a violent dive into the left lane because of skid marks, convinced me that they are not ready for prime time yet. I have to disable everything possible, then drive as carefully as possible and live with the unsafe followings because of all the things driving PB.
Definitely provide a video. Would love to see it. Usually drops of 60mph would take several seconds; human reaction time is 300ms.

So losing more than about 5-10mph is rare. Just slam that accelerator, it is fine. After all, you are driving. You should not be slowing down for no reason!

Phantom braking is SUPER annoying. It is terrible. To be clear. But it is not an actual safety issue that I can tell, because the driver just ensures there is no issue, and the rate of deceleration is less than usually presented. It is very disconcerting because it is uncommanded, and for no reason.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that number? That would be 2.7TB of data a month. Many residential ISPs have data caps which would be destroyed by that amount. I'm not saying it doesn't upload, that just seems like a lot.
I suspect he is correct about the 90 GB upload. I've seen uploads ranging from about 20 GB to as high as 110 GB (BYTES not bits) after a drive in fsd. It tends to typically be in the 20-30 GB range for me. The longer I drive, the more the upload (generally speaking). Of course, if I don't use fsd on a drive, then very little is uploaded afterward. For me, I don't care how much data it uploads as my ATT account includes unlimited data for internet and cell phones.

I suspect he is correct about the 90 GB upload. I've seen uploads ranging from about 20 GB to as high as 110 GB (BYTES not bits) after a drive in fsd. It tends to typically be in the 20-30 GB range for me. The longer I drive, the more the upload (generally speaking). Of course, if I don't use fsd on a drive, then very little is uploaded afterward. For me, I don't care how much data it uploads as my ATT account includes unlimited data for internet and cell phones.
To me this brings up the question, where is this 90GB stored in the car? I'd assume they're not depending on the user's plugged-in USB stick or SSD, that is not guaranteed even to be there, and normally wouldn't be exercised that hard for Senry and dashcam usage.

I've noticed numerous discussions about the choice of a good reliable SSD for Tesla video clips - eg how long to expect a USB stick to last, vs a Samsung T7 SSD vs something else. So it just makes me wonder what storage medium Tesla has installed; I haven't heard of people needing to have their autopilot storage drives replaced in a service appointment.

Sorry if this is a well-known fact, I'm just curious.

To me this brings up the question, where is this 90GB stored in the car? I'd assume they're not depending on the user's plugged-in USB stick or SSD, that is not guaranteed even to be there, and normally wouldn't be exercised that hard for Senry and dashcam usage.
Yup, that thought occurred to me as well, but I haven't asked anyone at the factory about it yet. It's a lot of data to be stored somewhere. Someone is going to know :) One thought is that it isn't all being stored for each drive. In my case, the router only reports what was uploaded during a whole 24-hour period and since I make multiple drives per day, it could be easily uploading much smaller segments in between my drives.

Yup, that thought occurred to me as well, but I haven't asked anyone at the factory about it yet. It's a lot of data to be stored somewhere. Someone is going to know :) One thought is that it isn't all being stored for each drive. In my case, the router only reports what was uploaded during a whole 24-hour period and since I make multiple drives per day, it could be easily uploading much smaller segments in between my drives.
That makes sense, but it still must be gigabytes of video data constantly writing and rewriting. My understanding is that normal PC hard drives are reliable because they can read-access data millions of times with statistically high reliability, but high duty cycle rewriting of file space challenges both HDD and SSD lifetime. That's why there are video-centric drives recommended for security cameras, DVRs etc.

So if only a fraction of the over-time 90 GB upload needs to be stored at any given moment, does that mean it's held in conventional volatile RAM? Because if it's stored in non volatile drive memory, even not a very big one, it must be a high reliability type of NVM.

There must be several users on this tech-heavy forum who know this answer.

That makes sense, but it still must be gigabytes of video data constantly writing and rewriting. My understanding is that normal PC hard drives are reliable because they can read-access data millions of times with statistically high reliability, but high duty cycle rewriting of file space challenges both HDD and SSD lifetime. That's why there are video-centric drives recommended for security cameras, DVRs etc.

So if only a fraction of the over-time 90 GB upload needs to be stored at any given moment, does that mean it's held in conventional volatile RAM? Because if it's stored in non volatile drive memory, even not a very big one, it must be a high reliability type of NVM.

There must be several users on this tech-heavy forum who know this answer.
Yup, all great questions and good points. Several years ago when I was doing some consulting for Nvidia, the eMMC was only 8 GB in the MCU1 before Tesla started making their own and went with 64GB in MCU 2. Of course a fair amount of that memory is used for the cars software. I don't know if that is the case today since I have been working on other things in the last 3 years. I don't follow it anymore. But yea, you hit on the point why mcu 1 units failed after so many write cycles. Someone with more updated info is going to enlighten us. Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm going to watch how much data gets pushed up to "Mars":) after a single long drive.

Reactions: JHCCAZ

I've noticed numerous discussions about the choice of a good reliable SSD for Tesla video clips - eg how long to expect a USB stick to last, vs a Samsung T7 SSD vs something else. So it just makes me wonder what storage medium Tesla has installed; I haven't heard of people needing to have their autopilot storage drives replaced in a service appointment.

Sorry if this is a well-known fact, I'm just curious.
Could it be uploading a smaller file many times? Suppose there is an interesting 9GB file that is flagged at Tesla and their system just constantly re-uploads it, or some kind of flaw that uploads data constantly? How much is it downloading each time, or is it just uploading?

Could it be uploading a smaller file many times? Suppose there is an interesting 9GB file that is flagged at Tesla and their system just constantly re-uploads it, or some kind of flaw that uploads data constantly? How much is it downloading each time, or is it just uploading?
I would very much doubt that. First because many examples of it would be a massive inefficiency for Tesla's very high data transmission and storage costs, and I think they would have caught that and fixed it a long time ago. Second, it seems that many users are reporting similar data upload size, so some repetitive re-uploading of a tagged interesting data file is unlikely to be a very typical scenario.

My guess is that the data uploads are almost all unique and contributing to Tesla's analysis as they have explained.

As an aside, it's a very interesting story and probably one of the first examples of this kind of large-scale ML training research. Certainly there are massive data-gathering practices by governments and our beloved tech companies, of debatable wholesomeness. But this amount of highly specific user data, uploaded openly and directly from the user terminal (rather than scraped from users' other-purpose browsing and information consumption), and applied directly to a project that most people would call helpful progress, seems like a historic first. (No doubt that may provoke some cynical responses but I think it's true.)