Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.4 - Take Over Immediately/Cruise Control Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service center wanted a 2 day appointment and first day is over.
Followup: FSD computer replacement (they have the part in hand) requires approval beyond the local SC. 2 days builds in the approval process time (holiday and year end etc). Seems to me (my guess) this repair is going to happen next year which is ok with me since they are busy delivering goodies to wrap up a great year.

This is a data point indicating that FSD computer boards remain precious (not unexpected).

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
Followup: FSD computer replacement (they have the part in hand) requires approval beyond the local SC. 2 days builds in the approval process time (holiday and year end etc). Seems to me (my guess) this repair is going to happen next year which is ok with me since they are busy delivering goodies to wrap up a great year.

This is a data point indicating that FSD computer boards remain precious (not unexpected).
Further follow up:

Finished at 4 today exceeding my expectations. Seems computer board replaced. New board is at version 10.2 and cameras need to calibrate. Back to safety score mode with a score of 90. 😟

I take this as a good fix 🙂so this ends my updates.

@VanFriscia @lascavarian @TresLA Are you still experiencing this issue? Was it resolved with a hardware swap? Are you now back in the beta program after your hardware swap? Has it gone away with software updates?
I am having this issue on 10.10.2 and my FSD computer was replaced in January, took about 3 weeks to get back into the beta program but I am.
I had this issue happen repeatedly within a 30 minute period on my 16 hour trip back from NC to MI. It would happen again about 2 minutes into re-engaging AP on the expressway for about 4 times. Then I tried just cruise control (one press down on the gear selector stalk) and it happened with that too. I tried reseting with yolk buttons and it didn't fix the issue. Shortly after, I exited the expressway enroute to my next Supercharger stop and while on the side streets, I was getting false collision avoidance alerts for cars cruising ahead of me at the same speed. When I got to the Supercharger, I plugged in and then attempted a second or third reset via the yolk buttons. The next leg of the trip to the next Supercharge, AP worked flawlessly. However, after that next charge, the entire display froze then moments later Spotify stopped playing. Reset the computer again with the yolk buttons and the screen started working again.
I've used Beta now about 2 hours since getting home have had the Cruise Not Available warning happen once on my regular commute.
I had mobile service out yesterday and the tech said there isn't much he can do since it's Beta and to hope the next update corrects the problem. If it doesn't, they'll tear into the dash a third time (first time was first 3.0 install in 2020, second time was January 2022 as previously mentioned).
2018 Model 3LR, 43k miles.

The weirdest part of this is it was about 30 hours round trip to NC and back and we only had this issue within a 20 minute window. The other 29.5 hours were fine. I used NoAP/FSD Beta the entire trip when possible.

Video my wife took showing the AP steering wheel and Max speed appearing and disappearing when the false collision avoidance warnings also started happening

Video my wife took showing the frozen display when driving through Toledo, OH on I-75

@VanFriscia @lascavarian @TresLA Are you still experiencing this issue? Was it resolved with a hardware swap? Are you now back in the beta program after your hardware swap? Has it gone away with software updates?
I am having this issue on 10.10.2 and my FSD computer was replaced in January, took about 3 weeks to get back into the beta program but I am.
I had this issue happen repeatedly within a 30 minute period on my 16 hour trip back from NC to MI. It would happen again about 2 minutes into re-engaging AP on the expressway for about 4 times. Then I tried just cruise control (one press down on the gear selector stalk) and it happened with that too. I tried reseting with yolk buttons and it didn't fix the issue. Shortly after, I exited the expressway enroute to my next Supercharger stop and while on the side streets, I was getting false collision avoidance alerts for cars cruising ahead of me at the same speed. When I got to the Supercharger, I plugged in and then attempted a second or third reset via the yolk buttons. The next leg of the trip to the next Supercharge, AP worked flawlessly. However, after that next charge, the entire display froze then moments later Spotify stopped playing. Reset the computer again with the yolk buttons and the screen started working again.
I've used Beta now about 2 hours since getting home have had the Cruise Not Available warning happen once on my regular commute.
I had mobile service out yesterday and the tech said there isn't much he can do since it's Beta and to hope the next update corrects the problem. If it doesn't, they'll tear into the dash a third time (first time was first 3.0 install in 2020, second time was January 2022 as previously mentioned).

The weirdest part of this is it was about 30 hours round trip to NC and back and we only had this issue within a 20 minute window. The other 29.5 hours were fine. I used NoAP/FSD Beta the entire trip when possible.

Video my wife took showing the AP steering wheel and Max speed appearing and disappearing when the false collision avoidance warnings also started happening

Video my wife took showing the frozen display when driving through Toledo, OH on I-75
Sorry to hear that you're having problems. For me personally, I never made a SC appointment and therefore never had a hardware swap and was never booted from the beta. If memory serves me right, 10.4 was so bad that I stopped using FSD because it was, well, basically unusable; 10.5 was better, sometimes, and sometimes just as bad as 10.4, with no real rhyme or reason as to when or why. I don't think it truly improved until I got 10.8. Ever since then, I do still have the occasional freakout where FSD just up and quits with the chimes of doom for seemingly no reason, but it's rare to the point where I just chalk it up to being beta software (and I no longer get the strange visualization problems even when it does happen). I think, at least in my case, it may have been a software issue related to certain builds of vehicles (in my case, a radar-equipped, resistive-heating LR RWD M3).

A couple things about your videos:
  • Your first video showing the FCWs and magically disappearing speed limits (did you notice that the cars on the road also disappeared along with the speed limits?!) wasn't even running the FSD stack because it was using the old visualizations. I've never seen the speed limit or cars do that (disappear) in my vehicle. And while I do get questionnable FCWs at times, yours weren't questionable, they were absurd.
  • I've never seen the display freeze like that either. Well, I HAVE seen it freeze, but only ever for a second or two before it reboots itself.
So...you're certainly having some strange problems. On the other hand, if the vast majority of your trip was normal, then...maybe it's just beta software? But the highway driving on the old stack shouldn't be beta software, so maybe not. I wonder if maybe the issue is with your MCU? At the very least, the FSD computer shouldn't have anything to do with your screen freezing - the FSD & MCU computers serve totally separate functions. Of course, I'm only speculating and I don't actually know what I'm talking about, so take that with a grain of salt :) . Good luck!

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. For me personally, I never made a SC appointment and therefore never had a hardware swap and was never booted from the beta. If memory serves me right, 10.4 was so bad that I stopped using FSD because it was, well, basically unusable; 10.5 was better, sometimes, and sometimes just as bad as 10.4, with no real rhyme or reason as to when or why. I don't think it truly improved until I got 10.8. Ever since then, I do still have the occasional freakout where FSD just up and quits with the chimes of doom for seemingly no reason, but it's rare to the point where I just chalk it up to being beta software (and I no longer get the strange visualization problems even when it does happen). I think, at least in my case, it may have been a software issue related to certain builds of vehicles (in my case, a radar-equipped, resistive-heating LR RWD M3).

A couple things about your videos:
  • Your first video showing the FCWs and magically disappearing speed limits (did you notice that the cars on the road also disappeared along with the speed limits?!) wasn't even running the FSD stack because it was using the old visualizations. I've never seen the speed limit or cars do that (disappear) in my vehicle. And while I do get questionnable FCWs at times, yours weren't questionable, they were absurd.
  • I've never seen the display freeze like that either. Well, I HAVE seen it freeze, but only ever for a second or two before it reboots itself.
So...you're certainly having some strange problems. On the other hand, if the vast majority of your trip was normal, then...maybe it's just beta software? But the highway driving on the old stack shouldn't be beta software, so maybe not. I wonder if maybe the issue is with your MCU? At the very least, the FSD computer shouldn't have anything to do with your screen freezing - the FSD & MCU computers serve totally separate functions. Of course, I'm only speculating and I don't actually know what I'm talking about, so take that with a grain of salt :) . Good luck!
Thank you for the update and it's a bummer you have to choose to not use Beta because of this. I think this is a major flaw in either SW or HW that Tesla needs to look into, but the local techs are told to write off anything related as a Beta issue that may get resolved in a future update. In my mind, then how is the mothership knowing they have to fix it if no one else has seen it before?

FWIW, the mobile service tech seemed confident that the standard AP (highway AP) is considered Beta. In other words, all self driving features on a FSD Beta vehicle are part of the FSD Beta software suite; we don't have old school AP for highway and FSD Beta for city streets.

I might start documenting my issues on my drive with a mounted camera and posting them to youtube and maybe one or two will get some eyes on them at Tesla.

I should be able to use AP on the highway and have it troubleshot without the "it's Beta" excuse from Tesla service. Very upsetting.

• Informative
Thank you for the update and it's a bummer you have to choose to not use Beta because of this. I think this is a major flaw in either SW or HW that Tesla needs to look into, but the local techs are told to write off anything related as a Beta issue that may get resolved in a future update. In my mind, then how is the mothership knowing they have to fix it if no one else has seen it before?

FWIW, the mobile service tech seemed confident that the standard AP (highway AP) is considered Beta. In other words, all self driving features on a FSD Beta vehicle are part of the FSD Beta software suite; we don't have old school AP for highway and FSD Beta for city streets.

I might start documenting my issues on my drive with a mounted camera and posting them to youtube and maybe one or two will get some eyes on them at Tesla.

I should be able to use AP on the highway and have it troubleshot without the "it's Beta" excuse from Tesla service. Very upsetting.
Funny - we think we're in the dark as we post on these forums, but it often seems that even Tesla employees working on the cars themselves are in the dark too! Such a strange company.

Anyways, to clarify, I definitely DO use FSD Beta regularly now and have been doing so since 10.8, when my weird disengagements largely (though not entirely) stopped. I just hope it stays that way :)

Again, good luck with your situation!

Wanted to add to this thread because it's getting worse (at least for me). During the FSD update before last (sorry I can't remember which version but currently on 10.12.2) this happened shortly after update twice. Both times a hard reboot fixed the problem.

Now with this release, I've had it happen 4 times. The first two times hard reboot fixed it. The third time it happened again shortly after - and now it's parked in the garage.

I have a trip coming up and don't want to deal with this, does anyone know if simply turning off FSD makes this go away?

2020 M3P

Sorry I missed this notification somehow. It got better for me but I don’t remember how long ago back it stopped being an issue. No hardware swap and no service call needed. Since then we’ve even driven across the country (mostly on FSD beta and “radar now shut off” highway NoAP in our 2018 LR RWD Model 3) and no issues.