Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1636361293634.png

Some 36.8.6 are trickling in. Seems like 36.8.5 is pumping out much, much, faster than yesterday.

Reactions: K5TRX
I wonder what the map data is. Is it the Tesla overlay on Google Maps? Because despite the last year’s version, Google Maps seem up to date with iOS version.
The Map Data you download is Open Street Map's. This "under the hood" info basically tells Tesla things like number of lanes, direction of travel, Stop Signs, Traffic Lights, Speed limits and.... The Google satellite maps are dynamically downloaded like on your iPhone. What you see on the screen is not used by the car and probably why you often see people saying that their GPS is off since internally the car is using Open Street Maps data.

• Informative
Reactions: Ramphex and K5TRX
The Map Data you download is Open Street Map's. This "under the hood" info basically tells Tesla things like number of lanes, direction of travel, Stop Signs, Traffic Lights, Speed limits and.... The Google satellite maps are dynamically downloaded like on your iPhone. What you see on the screen is not used by the car and probably why you often see people saying that their GPS is off since internally the car is using Open Street Maps data.
For reference, they recently built a roundabout near me at what was previously two nearby T intersections. Before the roundabout, going straight through required a left turn, then a right turn 100 ft down the road. Now that there's the roundabout, the turn-by-turn directions still indicate it should be a left turn and then a right turn, but the satellite imagery shows the new roundabout, and the live traffic orange/red lines also correctly show on the new roundabout.

Interestingly, FSD usually navigates this new semi-un-mapped roundabout just as well as any other roundabout and always takes the correct exit, even while the turn-by-turn directions are saying random things as we enter the roundabout and leave what the outdated map thinks is drive-able road area

Reactions: Ramphex
For reference, they recently built a roundabout near me at what was previously two nearby T intersections. Before the roundabout, going straight through required a left turn, then a right turn 100 ft down the road. Now that there's the roundabout, the turn-by-turn directions still indicate it should be a left turn and then a right turn, but the satellite imagery shows the new roundabout, and the live traffic orange/red lines also correctly show on the new roundabout.

Interestingly, FSD usually navigates this new semi-un-mapped roundabout just as well as any other roundabout and always takes the correct exit, even while the turn-by-turn directions are saying random things as we enter the roundabout and leave what the outdated map thinks is drive-able road area
Yea, should have said HELPS Tesla with things like..... The car still "makes decisions" based on what it "sees" and this "overrides" the OSM data.

In fact line one of the new release notes for 10.4
Improved Handling when driving off navigation route [OSM] by allowing better recovery, when safe to do so

TeslaFi 2021.36.8.5 FSD 10.4 Update: Two weeks ago we know that 9% of the FSD Beta Testers were using TeslaFi. That is when Tesla disclosed to the NTSB that 11,704 FSD 10.3 had been "recalled" to 10.3.1.

FSD 10.4 Summary
Installed: 885 cars on TeslaFi or about 10,000 total cars
Pending: 537 cars on TeslaFi or about 6,000 total cars
100% so far are coming from 2021.36.5.3 FSD 10.3.1.

Again, multiply these numbers below by 11 to get rough totals each day and today so far:

Install History​

Date11/0811/0711/06
Installs53586279

Are there any highway changes in 10.4? I will be taking a long drive and just wanted to make sure 10.4 doesn't mess up highway driving...

AFAIK no version of FSDBeta has made any changes at all to highway code compared to production firmware- other than radar cars now act like vision cars (so max speed on AP is 80 instead of 90, min follow is 2 instead of 1)

Reactions: K5TRX and outdoors
Checking Open Street Maps for an area that I frequently have issues with my Y putting its turn signal on while on a main route - rt. 1 shows no reason as to why it should put a turn signal on unless it thinks it is a fork in the road, Also, coming through a traffic light in another area of town, the lane splits into two, one right turn lane and one continuing on (same road rt 1) and this lane split is not reflected on open street maps so unless there is some underlying data that isn't shown on the UI, the car is picking the lane with pure vision or some other way. In 10.2 it would get in the turning lane and then merge over into the other lane which was dangerous as any human driver going into the turning lane means to turn and any person following would logically think it ok to pass them in on the left. In 10.3 the car started going into the correct non turning lane. So I feel it is something with neural net and not open street maps. Not saying they're not using open street maps but I don't think its used for everything. This is just anecdotal obviously and I could be wrong here.