Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got stuck behind a bike a while back. the dumbass was doing 15 MPH on a 2 lane road 55MPH limit. AP would NOT go around him. If it makes sense go for it. just beware .
Thats weird - was that with a no passing yellow line in the middle ?

Looks like currently planner only tries to pass by crossing the middle yellow lines if the cars are stopped. It will try to pass if there are more than one lanes in the same direction.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I got it Sunday night and 10.4 has been a step back for me. That said, my drives have all been in the dark when I leave and return home from work (can we just stay in daylight saving time please) and rain (Pacific NW). I've had several sudden turns to the side when I'm on a straight road (no problems with 10.2, 10.3, or 10.3.1). I've also started seeing notifications that FSD performance is reduced because of poor weather. Prior versions only said that about NoA. Hopefully it will perform better if I can get out in some good weather.

Did They not fix the FCW issues with 10.4? Today I was driving locally (not interstate) manually with (36.8.5) FSD Beta 10.4 NOT engaged and got a ridiculous amount of FCW alerts, 3 in a 20 minute drive and some with a ridiculous amount of distance between me and the offending vehicle ahead. I was having flashbacks of the 10.3.1 fiasco on the interstates. Anyone with similar issues? Concerned it will trigger a kick out from the Beta FSD program even tho most seemed spuriously false.

Ski

I got it Sunday night and 10.4 has been a step back for me. That said, my drives have all been in the dark when I leave and return home from work (can we just stay in daylight saving time please) and rain (Pacific NW). I've had several sudden turns to the side when I'm on a straight road (no problems with 10.2, 10.3, or 10.3.1). I've also started seeing notifications that FSD performance is reduced because of poor weather. Prior versions only said that about NoA. Hopefully it will perform better if I can get out in some good weather.
This happened to me in 10.3.1 - so, not a 10.4 specific issue. Seems to perform worse at night when raining heavily.

10.4 unfortunately seems much more scary to me than 10.3 :(

Two times on my drive today, 10.4 tried to go through cross streets and in each case would've gotten hit by another car. One time I had to floor it to make it through.

It's almost as if it now just gets to a cross street and goes without checking for cross traffic at all :(

That's a lot of room. No cars coming in the opposite direction either.

"10.4 tried to kill me again today. Stop light on a 2 lane road. I get road rage sometimes too but crossing a double yellow at a stop light to get around a car is a recipe for death!"
Actually there were bumper to bumper cars. FSD is still impressive, can’t wait to use it without my hands sweating.

Why would the car try to cross double yellow line ?

Looks like they took "pass the stopped cars" to an extreme.
10.3.1 and 10.4 both do this regularly for me. There are a couple of points in my commute with a traffic light just beyond a small hill, and a stop sign around a somewhat blind corner where FSD tries to cross the double yellow to pass the stopped cars every time 3 conditions are met. All 3 must be true:

1. The cars at the end of the line are at a dead stop
2. FSD can't see the red light / stop sign
3. There is no visible oncoming car

Happily, I've never seen FSD do this or show intent to do it on the planned path when condition 3 isn't met, so it hasn't really felt to me like a recipe for death as much as a recipe to look like an idiot/jerk/drunk, at least once I saw it happen often enough to identify the 3 conditions that make it happen

FSD really makes me want to root my own car because I'm insanely curious about why it does these things, and I'm tired of speculating. I want to dive into the snapshots that it's uploading. It's super annoying that the folks out there who hacked their cars are almost always silent. I feel like all the Tesla hackers get inducted into some Fight Club sort of thing where they just stop talking about it, or Tesla calls them up and makes a deal. Greentheonly is the only guy who regularly posts stuff, but most of it is not interesting or deep.

Reactions: Phlier and EVNow
FSD has the most training in California, certainly with Tesla FSD employees. Elon’s impressions could be accurate there.

But other parts of the USA, it has highly variable success.

Definitely depends on the area as well. Residential streets in urban areas out here are very rough and what I would call usable with FSD beta only when there are no other agents to interact with

This must be how driving instructors feel. A bit of stress, but worth it to know that you’re working to put a safer driver on the road.

In our case, we are at the beginning of putting millions of safer vehicles on the road.

Call me crazy but the whole experience has been exhilarating for me. When’s beta going to be installed? When’s the next version out? Did they read my emails and feedback and did that make it into the release? When will I need to course correct to save my own life? I knew this wasn’t going to be some dream drive, it would be actual work to drive. But it just keeps getting better in the grand scheme of things. And for that, sometimes I just hop in the car for a drive to see what happens. To see if I can break it to make it better.

If I were running things I’m not sure I’d have quite so many cars out there with the software so quickly. I might have even more stringent criteria for acceptance. More expectation of silence while we make it great. More constrained areas, growing them strategically and testing very specific cases.

But I’m glad I’m not in charge because at that rate it might be years more to get there. I’m sitting here pulling 40-50 miles city + highway + backroad with near zero interventions. The hiccups I can anticipate 90% of the the time and the 10% maniacal stuff I remember are the “could do the wrong thing at the worst time” that we signed up for. Nothing relaxing about that but it’s very exciting.