Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4) On PCH North, the road narrowed from 3 lanes to 2 and the car was in the rightmost disappearing lane. Plenty of chances to merge over but the car didn’t take them, and didn’t signal; eventually it got stuck and panicked (collision warning chime) and I had to take over.
I've seen this happen a few times.

Has anyone seen purposeful, proper merge, with signaling ? I don't think that feature has been implemented yet ...

Reactions: Ben W
I've seen this happen a few times.

Has anyone seen purposeful, proper merge, with signaling ? I don't think that feature has been implemented yet ...
The other thing Autopilot has never figured out is how to handle a single lane splitting and becoming two. It always sees the lane widening and goes straight down the middle, then panics and swerves when it sees the "gore point" approaching. A much more reasonable approach would be to hug the lane line closer to the middle lane of traffic. (E.g. if in fast lane hug the right, if in slow lane hug the left.)

The other thing Autopilot has never figured out is how to handle a single lane splitting and becoming two. It always sees the lane widening and goes straight down the middle, then panics and swerves when it sees the "gore point" approaching. A much more reasonable approach would be to hug the lane line closer to the middle lane of traffic. (E.g. if in fast lane hug the right, if in slow lane hug the left.)
FSD does this fine. Its the merging part, it gets wrong.

I've started forcing lane change by signaling lane change - so that FSD does a proper lane change - which BTW, is quite good now.

I don't know if it's been discussed, but I prefer the lane change process/screen visualization of the NOA over that provided by FSD. With FSD you just get a vague representation of the path tentacle dancing to the adjacent lane at the extreme extent of the visualization.

With NOA it's clear where it going to put the position the car in the adjacent lane and no surprise whether it's changing lanes or not.

Reactions: fo_Sean and Vines
I've started forcing lane change by signaling lane change - so that FSD does a proper lane change - which BTW, is quite good now.
Yup.

Let's give Tesla a bit of credit where credit is due, since we've all gotten extremely good at bringing up the faults (myself included).

Lane changes have become butter smooth.

Think about how bad lane changes were a couple of years ago. It reminds me of how the car currently handles traffic circles. The car stops, thinks, jerks the steering wheel around, plays with the blinker a few times in different directions, creeps a bit, etc. I remember lane changes exhibiting similar behavior. Got a goose egg on my head from hitting the side window when AP bailed out of a lane change after it had arrived in the other lane... suddenly freaked out, janked back the other direction. No reason for it, either.

There was a lot of regression, too; many releases saw lane changes get really bad before they finally got better.

Now it is a smoothly functioning feature, and it's been pretty darn good for some time.

Driving a car is a complex operation, yet they have the basic functionality there, it just needs time to bake, just like lane changing.

But yeah... lane changes in 10.4 are darn near humanly good. Although there are times that I wish FSD wouldn't insist on demonstrating its lane changing prowess... like moving over one lane to the left when there's a right turn .1 miles ahead. ;)

We'll get there, and it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch along the way.

I had a perfect interaction with a mail truck. I was on a two lane road with a double yellow line. The mail truck was stopped, blocking the lane. The car approached carefully and then smoothly pulled around crossing the double yellow and then got back over again. Exactly how I would have done it :).
I've also encountered similar praiseworthy passing of parked cars.

But regrettably have had a greater number of it trying to pass cars rightfully stopped at signal lights, etc..
Yesterday FSD Beta attempted to pass a stopped car at an occupied crosswalk, by using the right side parking lane, before I disengaged.

Reactions: nvx1977
It sure isn't. This "beta" tag is not just some legal CYA. It is really immature ... that is what makes it interesting for some of us ;)
I couldn't even turn out of my residential street onto the two lane through street. It got very jerkily halfway there and disconnected. I haven't seen that on YouTube. I've operated APs for about 60 years including jumbo jet autoland but this 10.4 looks to be 3 steps back from my 3 1/2 years of EAP and Nav on AP. It did make a few intersection turns OK but it was usually too fast and nerve wracking with jerking steering wheel.

I couldn't even turn out of my residential street onto the two lane through street. It got very jerkily halfway there and disconnected....
I guess you mean you accidentally disengaged it. FSD rarely disengages but if does it flashes a large red steering wheel on the screen and says "Take Over Immediately"with lots of loud beeping. A lot like a panic emergency braking event.

After testing the new Full Self Driving firmware-10.4 today on my Tesla, I think a bumper sticker is needed….WARNING-THIS CAR MAKES WIDE TURNS-CUTS THE CORNERS-SLAMS THE BRAKES ON-ZIGS LEFT AND RIGHT FOR NO REASON-SPEEDS UP FOR ANIMALS-BRAKES FOR SHADOWS-SIGNALS FOR NO REASON-TURNS ON WINDOW WIPERS AT RANDOM-STOPS WHEN IT SHOULD GO-SPEEDS IN SCHOOL ZONES-IGNORES TURN LANES-FOLDS REAR VIEW MIRRORS AT RANDOM, SINCE IT JUST MISSES *sugar*-DOES NOT STOP FOR CLOSED GATES. Other than those minor things, it seems to work just as good as a 14 year old on her first driving lesson. I do have hope😱🤣🤣

Did you try turning off Sentry Mode and letting the car sleep? I get what you have if I have Sentry Mode on and let the car sit while it isn't charging. Strangely, it doesn't do it if the car is still charging.
Thx for the suggestion. Yes. I disconnected my USB drive and turned off sentry. I let the car sleep and I've tried the "changing the wheel size" trick. Still have the problem. I'll let it sit over night and try again in the morning. FYI, I was directed to a thread which is just about this problem so I'm not going to monitor this thread anymore. I count at least 10 other S/X with the problem there.

Should I be concerned that the lane lines in the visualization dance, the course projection line flails around and things disappear and reappear? In my first hour, the car cut off an ambulance travelling sedately in the adjoining lane, tried to move into the right lane 20 feet from making a left turn that was indicated on the screen, and totally spa zed out trying to make a slow speed left turn when a car was in the right lane waiting to turn right. Plus hard phantom braking and general driving that would earn it a 50 safety score.

Should I be concerned that the lane lines in the visualization dance, the course projection line flails around and things disappear and reappear? In my first hour, the car cut off an ambulance travelling sedately in the adjoining lane, tried to move into the right lane 20 feet from making a left turn that was indicated on the screen, and totally spa zed out trying to make a slow speed left turn when a car was in the right lane waiting to turn right. Plus hard phantom braking and general driving that would earn it a 50 safety score.
Yep, you've got the right beta.

Phoenix, last night Scottsdale s/b inside lane through that strange Goldwater thing the car is doing great until it decides to change lanes, that's ok those cars don't mind. One does have to attend. I'm from CA but we're getting 4 days of practice in Scottsdale, Tempe and East Phoenix - tomorrow taking the 10 home. Freeways are fine but then they have been even before the beta was released.

I installed 10.4 and 2021.36.8.6 Monday morning in my 2018 Model S 100D. I lost all FSD visualizations, AP, and cruise control. Immediately, 2021.36.8.5 was pushed to my car and I downgraded. The loss of functionality persists and now I'm waiting for a service appointment Nov 18. Anyone else?

I guess you mean you accidentally disengaged it. FSD rarely disengages but if does it flashes a large red steering wheel on the screen and says "Take Over Immediately"with lots of loud beeping. A lot like a panic emergency braking event.
The wheel was jerking back and forth with the vehicle stopped half way in the turn so my hands on the wheel probably disconnected it. There was no traffic on the suburban streets but a vehicle was approaching about 150 yards away at about 30 mph. I've turned the FSD toggle off so I hope what I've reverted to is stable or else I guess I'll have to opt out.

After testing the new Full Self Driving firmware-10.4 today on my Tesla, I think a bumper sticker is needed….WARNING-THIS CAR MAKES WIDE TURNS-CUTS THE CORNERS-SLAMS THE BRAKES ON-ZIGS LEFT AND RIGHT FOR NO REASON-SPEEDS UP FOR ANIMALS-BRAKES FOR SHADOWS-SIGNALS FOR NO REASON-TURNS ON WINDOW WIPERS AT RANDOM-STOPS WHEN IT SHOULD GO-SPEEDS IN SCHOOL ZONES-IGNORES TURN LANES-FOLDS REAR VIEW MIRRORS AT RANDOM, SINCE IT JUST MISSES *sugar*-DOES NOT STOP FOR CLOSED GATES. Other than those minor things, it seems to work just as good as a 14 year old on her first driving lesson. I do have hope😱🤣🤣
I would add "If you can read all this on my bumper sticker, you are following too damn close, BACK THE F*** OFF!"

• Funny
Reactions: CaptUAL and tmoz