Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EVNow How long does it take for FSD to recognize an Open Maps change/edit??
We are not even sure it does.

All that has been tested out is that for Summon Tesla uses OSM. Since the routing apparently happens for summon in the cloud, the change is reflected very quickly.

My change to TomTom maps has not been reflected in the car yet - it may get reflected only when we get a new map version ? If Tesla was using OSM - I'd say, this would also be the likely case. So, months to get the map changes downloaded to the car ...

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Efficiency and hit to range is something I've been wondering about with FSD

I've seen zero effect on my efficiency using FSD beta. We're transitioning to cold season now, and I would suspect most if not all of the efficiency decrease is due to HVAC changes, battery suboptimal temps, less available regen, and thicker air causing higher Cd on highways.

I should also say that I'm pretty obsessive with efficiency monitoring, and my first year of ownership, I tested the limits of my car and was able to maintain 180Wh/mi average for the year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and AndreP
Efficiency and hit to range is something I've been wondering about with FSD
Been pretty significant for me. Here is the week before Beta and the week after.

IMG_9376.jpeg

IMG_9427 (1).jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Been pretty significant for me. Here is the week before Beta and the week after.

View attachment 732743
View attachment 732742

All things being equal, like temperature, it's only logical that FSD would be more inefficient - given how it drives and uses the brakes and accelerator peddle. There really should be a debate about this... Physics is Physics.

Reactions: Phlier
All things being equal, like temperature, it's only logical that FSD would be more inefficient - given how it drives and uses the brakes and accelerator peddle. There really should be a debate about this... Physics is Physics.
Energy efficiency is surely the last thing on the mind of FSD team now.

First they have to get it working - before thinking about efficiency and such.

ps : On the hardware side, obviously they have tried to optimize for energy consumption - but thats a separate issue.

You don't need to opt out. Just set up a separate profile for FSD-beta and set the menu settings as desired. In your original profile, go into the autopilot and turn off the selections that are for the FSD beta. Don't use AP off the highways. On the highways, it will resort to your original NOA AP. Works for me.

This may change when they go to single stack but right now the above works well.
I don't think it reverts to original as auto steer is limited to 80 mph indicating radar is still off in my 2018 M3 RWD. Drove about 90 highway/turnpike miles today and it did OK with FSD Beta and Stop light and stop sign control off. I have a glitch on a local intersection with SLSSC on Wich emergency disconnects.

You don't need to opt out. Just set up a separate profile for FSD-beta and set the menu settings as desired. In your original profile, go into the autopilot and turn off the selections that are for the FSD beta. Don't use AP off the highways. On the highways, it will resort to your original NOA AP. Works for me.

This may change when they go to single stack but right now the above works well.
I don't think it reverts to original as auto steer is limited to 80 mph indicating radar is still off in my 2018 M3 RWD. Drove about 90 highway/turnpike miles today and it did OK with FED Beta and Stop light and stop sign control off. I have a glitch on a local intersection with SLSSC on Wich emergency disconnects

As that email is written, you can opt back into the "FSD Beta queue" which probably means driving your Plaid in granny mode for a week or so to requalify....
I agree. Once you opt out, you will have to completely go through the Score me game all over again to get Beta. I too am strongly considering opt out, since I am not sure they will have ANRN in 10.5, which I would like more than babysitting Beta. I am not using Beta since I find it hard and rough on my new Model S Plaid.

Reactions: K5TRX
I am seeing very buggy turning lane issues like what Dirty Tesla was showing in this video.

I think there is something wrong with 10.4 in general. On many occasions it has failed to go into the proper turn lane or constantly insisting on going into a turn lane when I need to go straight through a light. I started on 10.4 but from the videos it looks like that is new bad behavior.

I also do not like the 80 MPH limit. On 70 MPH interstates I normally set it a tad higher than 80 and standard lane keeping autopilot so it doesn't pass people but it does keep up with traffic. Now I just piss people off so I just drive my 120 mile trips by hand now. From what I understand even turning off the FSD beta for my profile will not revert to using the radar and raising the limit to 90 MPH.

• Disagree
Reactions: CaptUAL
@Ramphex Hey, bro! Reasons include, but are not limited to, the following;

1) Change/improvement has been so small for me the last three releases;
2) Would enjoy production firmware (2021.40.5.1) features more then beta FSD right now, such as active road noise reduction ("ARNR")- more useful (to me, anyways)
3) 10.x series releases are hard on my Plaid's steering and braking components.... And I just had my half shafts replaced due to that vibration issue
4) Large efficiency hit using beta FSD, when combined with the cold and rain here
5) I can always opt back in, at any time, per the reply I received from Tesla betafsd team (see below)

"Hello Xxxx,

FSD Beta 10.4 will be removed from your vehicle shortly. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, which will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.

-FSD Team"

@WilliamG
Can’t blame you, I’ve found myself just doing more manual driving lately because passengers complain about getting sick with the braking issue and other times it’s just easier to hold the steering wheel straight than having to torque it into either direction every 10 secs while driving on the super straight roads here in FL

Can’t blame you, I’ve found myself just doing more manual driving lately because passengers complain about getting sick with the braking issue and other times it’s just easier to hold the steering wheel straight than having to torque it into either direction every 10 secs while driving on the super straight roads here in FL
Yep, I need a break from the braking… May opt back in at v11 or v12, just to see if it improved any.

Reactions: Phlier and Ramphex
As much as we bash it, FSD beta 10.4 in Chill mode (& NOA) beats Waymo in Phoenix.

Tesla FSD 10.4 VS Waymo

I saw that and found it interesting, However, for that to be a legitimate scientific test, they would need to run the experiment a number of times in different routes, keeping in mine that the main disadvantage for Waymo over FSD-beta is Waymo is geofenced. I suspect FSD-beta would win and would have the advantage.

I don't think it reverts to original as auto steer is limited to 80 mph indicating radar is still off in my 2018 M3 RWD. Drove about 90 highway/turnpike miles today and it did OK with FSD Beta and Stop light and stop sign control off. I have a glitch on a local intersection with SLSSC on Wich emergency disconnects.
That is true and the graphic display also doesn't revert back to earlier 2021.32.22 either. But the flaw in your reasoning is this: Where do you drive 90 mph off highway on city streets where current FSD-beta would be in use? On the interstate where current FSD-beta ( actually just AP NOA) is limited to 80mph, it also not average traffic except in some Western states, such as Utah where the speed limit is 85mph.

You probably can claim you've been driving the highways at an average of 90mph for many years with no accidents and no speeding tickets, I doubt that is the norm. I don't know anyone who can claim they got a speeding ticket for driving the speed limit because they didn't keep up with the other fastest car on the road.

Tesla believes it's AP is not safe above 80mph so it set a new limit. Personally I feel it should be 85 as there are some highways in the US that allow 85mph, but I am not the expert.

Besides-the key argument in all this is that we volunteered to be test pilots in the development of FSD on all roads as the product feature is under development. If you find you can't handle the testing, then by all means resign. Personally, I never was under the impression I could use this as a path for immediate driving convenience. I knew I would be a test pilot for Tesla. That's why I have the profiles and only switch to FSD-beta when I go out to do a test run for Tesla. When I need to go to the store or an appointment I set the profile with FSD-beta off. Doesn't mean if the route takes me on the interstate highway I won't use NOA at speed limit set by the state and it works fine with auto lane change set to need confirmation.

As I stated before, if they go to single stack and break normal NOA as I use it for regular trips, then I will rethink my current plan to volunteer to be a Tesla FSD beta tester. For now the two profile setup works well for me.

I am seeing very buggy turning lane issues like what Dirty Tesla was showing in this video.

I think there is something wrong with 10.4 in general. On many occasions it has failed to go into the proper turn lane or constantly insisting on going into a turn lane when I need to go straight through a light. I started on 10.4 but from the videos it looks like that is new bad behavior.

I also do not like the 80 MPH limit. On 70 MPH interstates I normally set it a tad higher than 80 and standard lane keeping autopilot so it doesn't pass people but it does keep up with traffic. Now I just piss people off so I just drive my 120 mile trips by hand now. From what I understand even turning off the FSD beta for my profile will not revert to using the radar and raising the limit to 90 MPH.

That is true and the graphic display also doesn't revert back to earlier 2021.32.22 either. But the flaw in your reasoning is this: Where do you drive 90 mph off highway on city streets where current FSD-beta would be in use? On the interstate where current FSD-beta ( actually just AP NOA) is limited to 80mph, it also not average traffic except in some Western states, such as Utah where the speed limit is 85mph.

You probably can claim you've been driving the highways at an average of 90mph for many years with no accidents and no speeding tickets, I doubt that is the norm. I don't know anyone who can claim they got a speeding ticket for driving the speed limit because they didn't keep up with the other fastest car on the road.

Tesla believes it's AP is not safe above 80mph so it set a new limit. Personally I feel it should be 85 as there are some highways in the US that allow 85mph, but I am not the expert.

Besides-the key argument in all this is that we volunteered to be test pilots in the development of FSD on all roads as the product feature is under development. If you find you can't handle the testing, then by all means resign. Personally, I never was under the impression I could use this as a path for immediate driving convenience. I knew I would be a test pilot for Tesla. That's why I have the profiles and only switch to FSD-beta when I go out to do a test run for Tesla. When I need to go to the store or an appointment I set the profile with FSD-beta off. Doesn't mean if the route takes me on the interstate highway I won't use NOA at speed limit set by the state and it works fine with auto lane change set to need confirmation.

As I stated before, if they go to single stack and break normal NOA as I use it for regular trips, then I will rethink my current plan to volunteer to be a Tesla FSD beta tester. For now the two profile setup works well for me.
EAP/NOA would drive up to 90 mph on limited access roads. When the removed the radar from new cars early this year and when using FSD the limit became 80 mph. When I turned FSD beta toggle off, it still would go only 80 so it didn't revert to the old build. This was just a test. I normally drive 77 on 70 mph interstate. I have used APs for over 60 years in boats, airliners and the last 3 years Tesla. This 10.4 version is too flawed even for an expert engineer AP user like myself.