Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the impression Chuck Cook's problems could be correlated to wearing a hat, and especially if using the hat brim as a visor when the sun is low in the sky. It would be ideal if that didn't cause a detection problem, but it's an explanation for one possible situation that could induce it.
I never wear hats, and am having the exact same problem Chuck is. The two things I have in common with Chuck: 1. Height 2. Wear glasses

Still haven't had a chance to try out 10.6.1 yet, so no idea if the nag bug is better or not.

Reactions: K5TRX
I disagree with the "tall driver" hypothesis. I'm 6'3", I've been in FSD beta since the first batch of 100's, and I've literally NEVER seen the "pay attention" message. I also commute roughly 30 miles round trip off highway with FSD engaged basically the entire time, 5 days a week, so I'd have plenty of opportunity to have it come up.

Some data points that may be relevant:
- My car is a Model 3 delivered in November 2019
- I've driven lots with and without sunglasses, and during daytime, sunrise/set, and nighttime (haven't tried sunglasses at night for obvious reasons)
- I never wear a hat
- My driving is mostly in suburban/rural areas, including occasional rural drives after dark where FSD has a warning or isn't available because "one or more cameras" are obstructed, when really the cameras are fine but it's so dark to the sides of the car that they can't adequately perceive things

I don't mean to imply there isn't a detection problem for some cars/drivers/situations since I can only share the experiences I've had with me in my car in the situations I see, but I am a data point that is inconsistent with the "tall drivers get false nags" hypothesis.

I have the impression Chuck Cook's problems could be correlated to wearing a hat, and especially if using the hat brim as a visor when the sun is low in the sky. It would be ideal if that didn't cause a detection problem, but it's an explanation for one possible situation that could induce it.

Could it be glasses? I wear sunglasses, but not regular reading glasses
I'm 6'5" (195cm). I had the "pay attention to the road" warning come up 6 times in a 1 mile stretch today. Once I actually was looking down as something had fallen off the seat, twice I was looking at the screen to check my speed and/or check a notification that had popped up and the other 3 times I was looking straight ahead at the road. No hat, no sunglasses (I did have my regular glasses on.) The times I was looking at the screen it popped up within a second of me looking down.

I was out running errands for about an hour and a half and the rest of the time it was fine and I never got a warning. ???

Reactions: K5TRX
I’m finding the inappropriate nags to be much less with 10.6.1 … but I’m getting this random benign-sounding tone every couple minutes or so on drives. There is no accompanying text or explanation of any kind on the screen. I see nothing about it in the release notes. Anyone else getting this and/or know what it’s about?

Do anyone know why they stopped pushing FSD 10.6.1 to 1/3rd of remaining cars which are on 10.5.
No one knows but we have seen similar patterns. There is a core group of 350 on TeslaFi who get new FSD betas right away.
I have been lucky enough to still be in that group. If there are no problems, it goes out to another 900.
Something made them stop there this time, leaving the last 600 on 10.5's for now.
Multiply these numbers by 11 to get the total number.

Elon has tweeted that 10.7 is so good, you could call it 11 (a major upgrade).
Twitter sage Whole Mars Catalog says 10.7 is coming this weekend.
That could bode well for a speedier rollout of 10.7 and getting all ~20,000 beta testers on 10.7.

But as @EVNow said, the people who can say, don't. We are left watching for Tweets and the TeslaFi Bat Light.

Last edited:
I’m finding the inappropriate nags to be much less with 10.6.1 … but I’m getting this random benign-sounding tone every couple minutes or so on drives. There is no accompanying text or explanation of any kind on the screen. I see nothing about it in the release notes. Anyone else getting this and/or know what it’s about?
I'm getting far less nags than with 10.5 but no new tones.

Can't do any lane changes on the highway since I got the update, so weird. Even when it recommends I make a lane change, whether I use the signal indicator or give the OK via the autopilot stalk nothing happens.
You’re pushing the turn signal all the way up or down, right? I was on the highway a few days ago and it worked as expected for me. Otherwise, maybe do a reboot?

My car on 10.6.1 started tapping the breaks as it approached intersections again. It did that in 10 5 but went away after I loaded 10.6.1 but now it's back. It happens when approaching a green light at about the point where the non beta fw would require a tap on the stalk to confirm the green light or the car would slow down. It's really annoying especially to passengers!