Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny, if Musk is 6'2" as he claims, how come tall people are being dinged for strikes, are all the Tesla engineers short? hmmm...

Jokes aside, I think some example people provided here or other threads may have been driver's habit without even knowing, but I do believe majority are due to simply "beta" algorithm by engineers. Which are fine as long as it is fixed asap, and reset the strikes. But the problem is, this last statement... it is NOT being fix, and NOT being reset.
Exactly... No problem if we are testing the eye monitoring software, and not a problem it dings us as it learns, only an issue if they won't reset when it's a questionable strike. I also believe everyone should be paying attention 100% of the time. Beta is great at times but scary at other times!

Reactions: bobby g
Higher speeds on dirt roads. For my route noticing I can get about 3 to 4 more mph during a 5 to 6 mile drive I do daily. Before it would top out at 22. Also hugs more right, and doesn't try to go up blind steep hills in the middle anymore. Again all dirt roads. Still has a tough time with oncoming traffic on dirt. Getting better for me.

How frequent do they push these updates? I just found out given I'm on 40.6 even though I hit the mark (over 100 miles with a score of 100 over 7 days) I'm basically wasting my time having the car sit correct? I remember hearing let your car sit for a week or so after you hit that and you'll get FSD. Doesn't seem to be the case with what I'm reading. Might as well go out and drive the car...cautiously until 10.7 is that correct? Would that be in two weeks on the 21st or what?

How frequent do they push these updates? I just found out given I'm on 40.6 even though I hit the mark (over 100 miles with a score of 100 over 7 days) I'm basically wasting my time having the car sit correct? I remember hearing let your car sit for a week or so after you hit that and you'll get FSD. Doesn't seem to be the case with what I'm reading. Might as well go out and drive the car...cautiously until 10.7 is that correct? Would that be in two weeks on the 21st or what?
Difficult to tell - they seem to release the build to new testers every other day or once in a couple of days. I won't be surprised if there is one or two batches of new testers between now and 10.7.

Reactions: K5TRX
Here is my 10.6.1 experience from the other thread.

Went for my first 10.6.1 drive. Nothing jumps out as a positive or negative.​
- The map changes I got made in TomTom are not part of the release.​
- The right and left turns from a stop may be a tad faster. Need more data to confirm.​
- Still very wary near VRU, but once it decides what to do, handles them well.​
- Roundabouts still have the same issue of hesitancy even when empty. Takes about 3 seconds from slowing down all the way to ~2 mph to starting to increase speed again. But the issue is slowing down to 2 mph - should just go at manageable 10/15 mph. This part hasn't changed and will stand out as a sore thumb to other vehicle drivers.​
- Had a couple of almost slowing down to stop situations near other vehicles / VRU. Would have been fine to just slow down to ~ 25 mph. Had to use accelerator.​
ps : Those who use superlatives to describe individual releases - I wonder whether they are just assigning normal variability of drives to different releases. i.e. If you have 5 drives with the same build, you can still have a smooth drive and a horrid drive. So, if those happen on different releases, doesn't really mean we can attribute the differences to different builds. We can only tell after a few drives.​
One thing I'd add here is that the turns seem to be tighter. FSD avoided going over the yellow line on couple of turns ... have to watch for more data.

sitting in the left turn lane at an unprotected left behind a line of cars yielding, and my car randomly decided to try to go around the line of cars, lmao. Overrode it immediately, of course, and snap shot it. I haven’t had the car try to do that in a while. That was my first necessary disengagement since I got 10.6.1 and nearly a dozen drives (note that I have intervened quite a bit by hitting the go pedal, and have disengaged “unnecessarily” to maximize regen and minimize brake use when going downhill or approaching a scenario where I know the car will have to slowdown).

Reactions: K5TRX
Drove my M3LR with 10.6.1 prev 10.5 around 50 miles yesterday about half freeway and half city streets. I did not notice any change in freeway driving which has been pretty solid for a while.

Big difference in city driving. Very smooth turns both right and left. No jerky steering at all! Had one phantom braking on a city street. There was a car coming out of a neighborhood street to the right but it was not moving. 10.5 used to tap the brakes when approaching intersections. That is now gone. However, now if it needs to stop behind traffic at a red light it initiates the slow down far to late for comfort. It's almost to the point where I'm wondering if it's going to stop. It is too aggressive on the brakes and should start slowing down earlier when it is obvious we are going to stop.

10.6.1 has good improvements according to testers, and Elon teasing "10.7 should be arguably called 11" makes staying on 10.5 not interesting for me. It's pretty rough in LA as-is unless I'm in residential areas like Valley Village or Monterey Park.
Monterey Park? There, San Gabriel, Alhambra, Rosemead, you drive through "bumper car West"- brave person. I used to have an office at Garfield and valley. I always took the train and then walked or ride the bus. Scary 😵‍💫

Curious, how long have you been in the beta program? I'm trying to confirm my hypothesis, that based on Tesla's very understandable emphasis on driver monitoring, that only vehicles with cabin cameras are currently being invited to the program.
Other than the lack of the cabin monitoring, my score and the car's hardware meet the eligibility requirements.
Going on three weeks now. the MX is already on 6.1 as of the other day. No camera inside.

Reactions: Duffer and X-pilot
New beta testers are sometimes added after they get all the existing beta testers have been upgraded. There is a lull and if there is time before the next release, you see new users come in. Tomorrow or Thursday might be possible. (If the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.) :) Per TeslaFi, we are in the lull:

Install History​

Date12/1412/1312/1212/1112/10
Installs151148213032

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Duffer and aspekt
New beta testers are sometimes added after they get all the existing beta testers have been upgraded. There is a lull and if there is time before the next release, you see new users come in. Tomorrow or Thursday might be possible. (If the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.) :) Per TeslaFi, we are in the lull:

Install History​

Date12/1412/1312/1212/1112/10
Installs151148213032
We should be be in a lull though. There are still quite a few people, including myself, that are still sick on 10.5.

Going on three weeks now. the MX is already on 6.1 as of the other day. No camera inside.
Thank you for your response.

Your MX seems to disprove my hypothesis of an interior camera requirement for new beta testers.

I'm out of the running now (98) thanks to an idiot cutting me off last week. Prior to that I somehow managed to maintain a 99 for 30 days.

Reactions: okcazure and K5TRX
Thank you for your response.

Your MX seems to disprove my hypothesis of an interior camera requirement for new beta testers.

I'm out of the running now (98) thanks to an idiot cutting me off last week. Prior to that I somehow managed to maintain a 99 for 30 days.
next time when idiots cut you off, which guarantee will happen, make sure you reset that trip so you don't get penalized.

next time when idiots cut you off, which guarantee will happen, make sure you reset that trip so you don't get penalized.
Here is how to Reset To Delete a Bad Trip or Event
Use it if you ever touch the brakes, don't turn like a grandma, or get a Forward Collision Warning.

If you are in the FSD Beta, does the reset help with third strikes from or Autopilot Disengagements?

• Helpful
Reactions: Duffer
Unfortunately, 10.5 brought about a cabin camera driver monitoring bug that primarily effects taller drivers... or at least, it appears that that's the case.

Chuck Cook talks about this quite a bit, and I'm also being hit by it (I'm 6'1").

I NEVER take my eyes off the road when using FSD. Ever. I have to ask my wife about what the message was on the screen when I get audible alerts. I also "ghost steer" the car the entire time, but that's a different discussion now that you can tell what caused the nag (steering wheel or cabin camera) by the type of alert produced.

Anyway, I will constantly get "Pay Attention" cabin camera induced nags while looking straight forward at the road. Constantly. Other tall drivers are reporting the same thing, and Chuck Cook is now one strike out away from getting kicked out of the Beta.

The work around that does seem to help is wearing very dark sun glasses so that the camera can't see my eyes. I'll still get the occasional ding, but the frequency of them drops to the point that I don't need to worry about getting a strike.

10.5 was so bad that I couldn't drive for more than one minute (no sunglasses) before I got the first nag, then ten seconds until the second nag. I never risked turning it back on after two quick nags like that without putting sunglasses on.

This only occurs with the Beta stack... freeway driving is fine.

Edit: Yes, I do have the driver seat down as far as it'll go.
I disagree with the "tall driver" hypothesis. I'm 6'3", I've been in FSD beta since the first batch of 100's, and I've literally NEVER seen the "pay attention" message. I also commute roughly 30 miles round trip off highway with FSD engaged basically the entire time, 5 days a week, so I'd have plenty of opportunity to have it come up.

Some data points that may be relevant:
- My car is a Model 3 delivered in November 2019
- I've driven lots with and without sunglasses, and during daytime, sunrise/set, and nighttime (haven't tried sunglasses at night for obvious reasons)
- I never wear a hat
- My driving is mostly in suburban/rural areas, including occasional rural drives after dark where FSD has a warning or isn't available because "one or more cameras" are obstructed, when really the cameras are fine but it's so dark to the sides of the car that they can't adequately perceive things

I don't mean to imply there isn't a detection problem for some cars/drivers/situations since I can only share the experiences I've had with me in my car in the situations I see, but I am a data point that is inconsistent with the "tall drivers get false nags" hypothesis.

I have the impression Chuck Cook's problems could be correlated to wearing a hat, and especially if using the hat brim as a visor when the sun is low in the sky. It would be ideal if that didn't cause a detection problem, but it's an explanation for one possible situation that could induce it.

This new 10.6.1 beta is worse for me. It has required me to disengage repeatedly and my gf won’t let me use it with her in the car anymore. If I wasn’t paying attention for a second a dozen different times on a short 20 mile drive I would have totaled my car a dozen times. Model y performance, 2020. Anyone else feel like this new beta was a downgrade? The previous version wasn’t much better but it didn’t try to slam me into medians or other cars. Mine keeps trying to take unprotected lefts in front of high speed traffic where I would assuredly get t-boned.

Here is how to Reset To Delete a Bad Trip or Event
Use it if you ever touch the brakes, don't turn like a grandma, or get a Forward Collision Warning.

If you are in the FSD Beta, does the reset help with third strikes from or Autopilot Disengagements?
This I do not know, but if I have to guess, it would be no, it doesn’t help. Because base on what everyone is reporting, the warning is instant and same with disengagement, thus, the data is already logged with the server. On the other hand, Safety Score doesn’t log the data until the drive is complete, so before completing the trip, a reset wipes out the data before it is sent to the server.