Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, they should just focus on 10.7 :D
That would make sense - but I won't be surprised if they release 10.6.1 in a day or two - and 10.7 next week.

Just depends on what they told Elon. If they told him they will give a "quick fix" - they may be afraid to back off.

Can't imagine a more high pressure job in the tech world now than FSD beta team at Tesla.

That would make sense - but I won't be surprised if they release 10.6.1 in a day or two - and 10.7 next week.

Just depends on what they told Elon. If they told him they will give a "quick fix" - they may be afraid to back off.

Can't imagine a more high pressure job in the tech world now than FSD beta team at Tesla.
Probably a toss up between the FSD beta team and the Raptor engine production team :)
"I will be on the Raptor line all night and through the weekend,"

SpaceX grapples with Raptor production problems - SpaceNews

• Funny
Reactions: Matias and EVNow
Just curious. I am on 10.5 and still no update to 10.6 or 10.6.1. Is there something I need to do different from before? I usually get the downloads immediately.
Nope, you should get it once it’s rolling out. Keep an eye on this Twitter list of known fsd beta users: https://mobile.twitter.com/i/lists/1321956269293490182

Once you see enough of them mentioning an update, you can expect it to come to your car soon as well.

Reactions: edseloh
Internal "beta" testing is called alpha testing, FYI.
not always, for me, we have alpha for internal engineer testing, beta for specific internal org testing, and then public release for our own company and rest of the customers. but it is rare.
Lovely I finally hit 99 and of course they pause the rollout when I hit it. I’ll be lucky if I can keep it long enough to get included in the next round…
Hang on there, you are close. All sign points 10.6.1 is imminent. it will first go to current 10.6, then people on 10.5, then people with 99/100.

Internal "beta" testing is called alpha testing, FYI.
Or sometimes it's called "dogfooding". 🐶

Roughly speaking, "Development" is when some major features are not yet functional. "Alpha" is when all the major features are functional, but some minor essential features may not be, and the implementation is still very rough. "Beta" is when the minor features are also functional, but there are still plenty of serious bugs to iron out. "Release Candidate" is when the product is close enough to release-worthy that the final rollout can be dress-rehearsaled, even though further refinements are expected.

On this scale, I'd characterise FSD 10.5 as early alpha. There are far too many unimplemented essential features (e.g. there are many basic and essential road signs it doesn't yet recognize), and too many basic failures per drive (in my experience), for it to be considered beta at this point. It's also not clear how much engineering value Tesla can actually obtain from the public FSD rollout, that they couldn't equally well obtain in-house or with their own employees' fleet. At some point (we hope!) they will be solving long-tail issues that will truly require analyzing rare incidents from millions of miles of driving, but right now they're still solving fundamental issues that crop up every mile.

So my guess is that the true purpose of the FSD rollout at this point is primarily to pacify customers who want to "get what they paid for", even though "what they paid for" is ostensibly a system that requires less driver cognitive load, not more driver cognitive load. But equally importantly, it's to put pressure on the engineering team to deliver. Let's hope it works!

Last edited:
I use numbers from Teslascope and provide a few estimates, but my high-end estimate of ~20k current FSD Beta population is close to K5TRX's estimate of 21k. Main difference I believe is I adjust for an initial FSD (Private) Beta population size, which from personal employee anecdotes indicates one of their perks was to get FSD and seem less likely to use 3rd party tracking apps.

Here's my estimates for the first 8 weeks of FSD public beta:
View attachment 741794
Mardak, amazing work on this!

Lovely I finally hit 99 and of course they pause the rollout when I hit it. I’ll be lucky if I can keep it long enough to get included in the next round…
I know it's a pain but if you reboot after every drive before shifting to park you will save your score. At least reboot if you think something happened that might affect it like a FWC warning, hard braking or turning.

not always, for me, we have alpha for internal engineer testing, beta for specific internal org testing, and then public release for our own company and rest of the customers. but it is rare.

Hang on there, you are close. All sign points 10.6.1 is imminent. it will first go to current 10.6, then people on 10.5, then people with 99/100.
Hey, my apologies for the noob question - where are you getting this information? I requested the beta program 2 weeks ago with a score of 100 and still nothing.