Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why?..not worry
Because if you have one or both hands securely on the wheel and you keep your eyes on the road, you'll be fine, notwithstanding some sort of sensor failure. Also it's not really an issue if you get kicked out the beta - no great loss and you go back to regular feature set.

In any case, it's really hard to get kicked out of the Beta if you're fully engaged in driving the vehicle when using FSD Beta. Eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, as is required. No checking the phone, no fiddling with things in the car, and master the torque sensor (if that's difficult for the driver, then getting out of the Beta is probably a good thing). Nothing to worry about.

Because if you have one or both hands securely on the wheel and you keep your eyes on the road, you'll be fine, notwithstanding some sort of sensor failure. Also it's not really an issue if you get kicked out the beta - no great loss and you go back to regular feature set.

In any case, it's really hard to get kicked out of the Beta if you're fully engaged in driving the vehicle when using FSD Beta. Eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, as is required. No checking the phone, no fiddling with things in the car, and master the torque sensor (if that's difficult for the driver, then getting out of the Beta is probably a good thing). Nothing to worry about.
Unfortunately, 10.5 brought about a cabin camera driver monitoring bug that primarily effects taller drivers... or at least, it appears that that's the case.

Chuck Cook talks about this quite a bit, and I'm also being hit by it (I'm 6'1").

I NEVER take my eyes off the road when using FSD. Ever. I have to ask my wife about what the message was on the screen when I get audible alerts. I also "ghost steer" the car the entire time, but that's a different discussion now that you can tell what caused the nag (steering wheel or cabin camera) by the type of alert produced.

Anyway, I will constantly get "Pay Attention" cabin camera induced nags while looking straight forward at the road. Constantly. Other tall drivers are reporting the same thing, and Chuck Cook is now one strike out away from getting kicked out of the Beta.

The work around that does seem to help is wearing very dark sun glasses so that the camera can't see my eyes. I'll still get the occasional ding, but the frequency of them drops to the point that I don't need to worry about getting a strike.

10.5 was so bad that I couldn't drive for more than one minute (no sunglasses) before I got the first nag, then ten seconds until the second nag. I never risked turning it back on after two quick nags like that without putting sunglasses on.

This only occurs with the Beta stack... freeway driving is fine.

Edit: Yes, I do have the driver seat down as far as it'll go.

Unfortunately, 10.5 brought about a cabin camera driver monitoring bug that primarily effects taller drivers... or at least, it appears that that's the case.

Chuck Cook talks about this quite a bit, and I'm also being hit by it (I'm 6'1").

I NEVER take my eyes off the road when using FSD. Ever. I have to ask my wife about what the message was on the screen when I get audible alerts. I also "ghost steer" the car the entire time, but that's a different discussion now that you can tell what caused the nag (steering wheel or cabin camera) by the type of alert produced.

Anyway, I will constantly get "Pay Attention" cabin camera induced nags while looking straight forward at the road. Constantly. Other tall drivers are reporting the same thing, and Chuck Cook is now one strike out away from getting kicked out of the Beta.

The work around that does seem to help is wearing very dark sun glasses so that the camera can't see my eyes. I'll still get the occasional ding, but the frequency of them drops to the point that I don't need to worry about getting a strike.

10.5 was so bad that I couldn't drive for more than one minute (no sunglasses) before I got the first nag, then ten seconds until the second nag. I never risked turning it back on after two quick nags like that without putting sunglasses on.

This only occurs with the Beta stack... freeway driving is fine.

Edit: Yes, I do have the driver seat down as far as it'll go.
Good to know. I was wondering what might be the common thread in the reports from people that they were getting nagged and couldn't clear it (I figured a sensor failure of some sort).

I guess technically this problem could be classified as a sensor failure...

Hope they can address it. It's interesting that wearing sunglasses affects it. But I guess with the head higher the camera would be more likely to decide you were looking down. Time to start slouching or reclining that seat I suppose!

Seems like some improvement is needed in the cabin camera neural net. Let us know if it's fixed now...

Reactions: Phlier
Good to know. I was wondering what might be the common thread in the reports from people that they were getting nagged and couldn't clear it (I figured a sensor failure of some sort).

I guess technically this problem could be classified as a sensor failure...

Hope they can address it. It's interesting that wearing sunglasses affects it. But I guess with the head higher the camera would be more likely to decide you were looking down.

Seems like some improvement is needed in the cabin camera neural net. Let us know if it's fixed now...
It was either @greentheonly or @Tristan on Twitter that showed a really cool video of driver eye position as determined by the NN. I'll see if I can find it, but the gist of it is that there are several choices the NN can make about where you're looking.

• Eyes likely forward
  • Eyes likely down
  • Using cell phone
  • Looking left
  • Looking right
  • Eyes obscured by sunglasses
  • Unable to determine eye position
  • Cabin camera obscured
As of 10.4, if the NN determines that "Cabin Camera Obscured" is the most likely condition, you'll get a dialog that pops up and says that FSD isn't available until the camera is no longer obscured.

That list of possible determinations isn't correct/complete... Just what I remember off the top of my admittedly old brain.

Edit to add: Here's a link to an article in insideevs.com that explains the cabin camera NN and also links to the Twitter video/post.

Yet Another Edit: Here's the YouTube video by itself for those that don't want to look at the insideevs.com page:

Final Edit: There's a thread about the problems with cabin camera monitoring here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have a 92 does that mean i will never get it? I was never told that when i purchased the FSD
This is an early access beta of FSD. You will get it eventually because you purchased FSD. Right now, it is a work in progress and are only accepting testers with 98+ safety score. As it improves, Tesla will add more people
@gmoe your best bet is to opt out and opt back in at this point if you want to get the beta. start fresh and get to 100 score with 100+ miles. If trend follows, it should go to the new 99/100 score as soon as this week/end. (edit: for some weird typo)

Reactions: bobby g
If you aren’t using 10.5 don’t worry about 10.6. The “testing” is primarily for your amusement.

10.5 was a good release so I am keeping it there unless 10.6 reviews are glowing.
10.6.1 has good improvements according to testers, and Elon teasing "10.7 should be arguably called 11" makes staying on 10.5 not interesting for me. It's pretty rough in LA as-is unless I'm in residential areas like Valley Village or Monterey Park.

• Funny
Reactions: zigmeister
It's funny, if Musk is 6'2" as he claims, how come tall people are being dinged for strikes, are all the Tesla engineers short? hmmm...

Jokes aside, I think some example people provided here or other threads may have been driver's habit without even knowing, but I do believe majority are due to simply "beta" algorithm by engineers. Which are fine as long as it is fixed asap, and reset the strikes. But the problem is, this last statement... it is NOT being fix, and NOT being reset.