Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with the "tall driver" hypothesis. I'm 6'3", I've been in FSD beta since the first batch of 100's, and I've literally NEVER seen the "pay attention" message.

I wonder if it has to do with seating position. A tall driver who keeps the driver seat forward will have his or her eyes positioned much differently than a tall driver who keeps the seat farther back. If so, it would seem likely that the forward position would be the troublesome one.

Reactions: K5TRX
This new 10.6.1 beta is worse for me. It has required me to disengage repeatedly and my gf won’t let me use it with her in the car anymore. If I wasn’t paying attention for a second a dozen different times on a short 20 mile drive I would have totaled my car a dozen times. Model y performance, 2020. Anyone else feel like this new beta was a downgrade? The previous version wasn’t much better but it didn’t try to slam me into medians or other cars. Mine keeps trying to take unprotected lefts in front of high speed traffic where I would assuredly get t-boned.
Quite frankly I feel like each version has gotten worse. The switch to vision only was a huge downgrade. I'm thinking of leaving this Alpha testing because what used to be enjoyable driving, isn't anymore. They are not foxing the BIG issues (like reading 'NO TURN ON RED' signs and driving down the middle of a two lane unmarked road) - ya know, the scary stuff....

Reactions: MYoohMY and 101dals
Wonder if there was an identified bug they haven't disclosed that are keeping some models stuck until 10.7.

Yea not even all 10.5 users have been moved to 10.6.1, so doubt any new users will get in before 10.7 at this point. Getting so annoying at this point...finally got to 99 but don't know how much longer of this granny bullshit I can keep up with (and this is driving in NYC mind you).

Now that the rain has finally let up in the Bay Area, I got a chance to test FSD 10.6.1, and so far it’s kind of a mixed bag

Pros:
-Phantom braking seems reduced, doesn’t randomly slam on the brakes like it used to
-Pay Attention nags also seem to have improved. I tried looking at the screen for a few seconds which would normally trigger a nag, but i had to really stare out somewhere stupid to get a nag.

Cons:
Most driving related problems still exist
-stays too far right when you have a center line, and no line on the right, but you have parked cars, so it weaves in and out on the right
-tried to cut a protected left too early and almost clipped the curb, which hasn’t been a problem on 10.5
-bolts like a rocket after certain turns and oddly goes well above the set speed before settling back down
-overall timidness and uncertainty when dealing with unprotected turns and other cars seems about the same as well

Yea not even all 10.5 users have been moved to 10.6.1, so doubt any new users will get in before 10.7 at this point.
Maybe, but Teslafi shows a couple of installs from non-FSD versions now. In fact, one of them is from 2021.32.22, which is the version I've had on my MY for the past two months now. So it appears that a few new people are getting it. But I'm not one of them yet.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
Maybe, but Teslafi shows a couple of installs from non-FSD versions now. In fact, one of them is from 2021.32.22, which is the version I've had on my MY for the past two months now. So it appears that a few new people are getting it. But I'm not one of them yet.
Yea but that does not indicate a rollout...would have to be hundreds. Plus most of us waiting for FSD Beta are on 2021.36.5.1

I disagree with the "tall driver" hypothesis. I'm 6'3", I've been in FSD beta since the first batch of 100's, and I've literally NEVER seen the "pay attention" message. I also commute roughly 30 miles round trip off highway with FSD engaged basically the entire time, 5 days a week, so I'd have plenty of opportunity to have it come up.

Some data points that may be relevant:
- My car is a Model 3 delivered in November 2019
- I've driven lots with and without sunglasses, and during daytime, sunrise/set, and nighttime (haven't tried sunglasses at night for obvious reasons)
- I never wear a hat
- My driving is mostly in suburban/rural areas, including occasional rural drives after dark where FSD has a warning or isn't available because "one or more cameras" are obstructed, when really the cameras are fine but it's so dark to the sides of the car that they can't adequately perceive things

I don't mean to imply there isn't a detection problem for some cars/drivers/situations since I can only share the experiences I've had with me in my car in the situations I see, but I am a data point that is inconsistent with the "tall drivers get false nags" hypothesis.

I have the impression Chuck Cook's problems could be correlated to wearing a hat, and especially if using the hat brim as a visor when the sun is low in the sky. It would be ideal if that didn't cause a detection problem, but it's an explanation for one possible situation that could induce it.

I tend to think it's a noisy or bad camera. I am fairly tall, wear reflective sunglasses almost always (sunny or overcast, but not at night), and I always have my Boring Company hat on. I've never gotten a pay attention ding except when I was specifically testing for it. I looked out the driver side window for about 10 seconds before I heard the chime. Another video showed it was between 7 and 8 seconds. That's still a lot of time. People who are getting dinged left and right while insisting on looking forward, likely have a sensitivity issue with their camera. obfuscating the irises with sunglasses might help, esp if your car doesn't have the IR LEDs next to the camera. AFAIK, refreshed S/X have them (maybe only plaid model?) while 3/Y do not. yet. Those IR lights will enable the cabin camera to see your retina even with sunglasses.

this release does some things better, seems to handle roads with no center markings, if anything its now either over compensating or driving down the middle.
However, its handling other stuff even worse than the previous releases. It used to handle a simple left turn on a corner that had another road leading straight on. Previous releases handled it pretty darned well - this one starts the turn then gives up and tries to go straight on, useless.
Somehow I feel less and less confident with each new release, I keep reading about 17% improvements here, 15% somewhere else, but I still can't take a 4 mile daily journey without at least 10-15 disengagements in each direction or sat at a junction with no other cars on the road and waiting for 5-10 seconds with the wheel jerky jerking around often just in time for cars to arrive so I have to wait even longer.
Its just not good enough for release right now. I can't use it with my family in the car and longer journeys are the opposite of relaxing.
I want my old autopilot back - very close to throwing in the towel.

Reactions: Skione65 and K5TRX
So I'm on 2021.40.6 with 100 score hoping to slide over to 10.7 when it releases but Tesla just pushed 2021.44.5 to my car. Should I accept the update or will that delay me getting into FSD program?
I would take the non-FSD update. A recent non-FSD update does not seem to impact getting FSD.
Only 2 non-FSD users have gotten 10.6.1 so far so they may be focused on 10.7?

And congratulations on the 100! Keep it up.
Reset To Delete a Bad Trip or Event if you touch the brakes, don't turn like a grandma, get a Forward Collision Warning, etc.

Reactions: okcazure
this release does some things better, seems to handle roads with no center markings, if anything its now either over compensating or driving down the middle.
However, its handling other stuff even worse than the previous releases. It used to handle a simple left turn on a corner that had another road leading straight on. Previous releases handled it pretty darned well - this one starts the turn then gives up and tries to go straight on, useless.
Somehow I feel less and less confident with each new release, I keep reading about 17% improvements here, 15% somewhere else, but I still can't take a 4 mile daily journey without at least 10-15 disengagements in each direction or sat at a junction with no other cars on the road and waiting for 5-10 seconds with the wheel jerky jerking around often just in time for cars to arrive so I have to wait even longer.
Its just not good enough for release right now. I can't use it with my family in the car and longer journeys are the opposite of relaxing.
Before throwing in the towell you could try
1. Recalibrate cameras
2. Reset display
3. Cycle power
4. A few owners on Reddit have reported they were surprised to discover the plastic was never removed during delivery (B-pillar cameras.)

If none of that works see if the upcoming 10.7 release helps, if not check with Tesla service.

No need to completely unenroll. Just create an FSD Beta specific profile and leave it turned off on your "Twiglett" daily driver profile.

That makes it simple to return to autopilot with a push, even while driving. You can ride the pine for a bit waiting for an improved version.

I would take the non-FSD update. A recent non-FSD update does not seem to impact getting FSD.

Reset To Delete a Bad Trip or Event if you touch the brakes, don't turn like a grandma, get a Forward Collision Warning, etc.
So I'm on 2021.40.6 with 100 score hoping to slide over to 10.7 when it releases but Tesla just pushed 2021.44.5 to my car. Should I accept the update or will that delay me getting into FSD program?
I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to wait to see what branch 10.7 is based off of. I'm worried about being ahead of the next FSD branch.

No need to completely unenroll. Just create an FSD Beta specific profile and leave it turned off on your "Twiglett" daily driver profile.

That makes it simple to return to autopilot with a push, even while driving. You can ride the pine for a bit waiting for an improved version.
I did try just turning it off and going for a drive or two and was getting spurious FCWs etc. Have you noticed this? Otherwise I’ll try this recommendation because I have noticed by turning off and turning the slider back on you have to go through all the “agreements” and it also turns some of the Nav sliders off which also needs to be reset. This would be much easier under profiles.

Ski

I did try just turning it off and going for a drive or two and was getting spurious FCWs etc. Have you noticed this? Otherwise I’ll try this recommendation because I have noticed by turning off and turning the slider back on you have to go through all the “agreements” and it also turns some of the Nav sliders off which also needs to be reset. This would be much easier under profiles.

Ski
As for the profile switching, yes, seamless. You don't have to redo the agreements and adjust your settings. When you create a new profile it also starts from your current position (seats, mirrors, wheel) so that all copies over exactly.

For the FCWs, my caveat is that the MYLR is our FSD car and is vision only. I personally don't notice a difference with FSD Beta on or off but your experience may be different than the general release build you were previously on.

We switch cars all the time and I don't notice a difference between the 3 with radar and the Y without either, albeit acknowledging that I do know some members are crippled by FCWs and PB on VO cars.

Okay so pray for Sunday the 19th for 10.7?

Yeah I was floating 96-97 for a while last month and then I found out about the reset trick but damage was already done on other drives to recover so I deleted (opted out of beta queue). Having Plaid I want to enjoy the car more so than play a game with boring driving but then I opted back in finding out just 100 miles in 7 days. Easy...I'll suck it up but after I now learned the upgrade paths I didn't realize that having 2021.40 was going to stall me in getting in. Now I have to wait longer but it is what it is. Thankfully I have other fun cars to enjoy but on the flip side I've learned "how to drive" to get the score without making the drive "too boring." Without any deleting 200 miles since the December 2nd all 100s, one 99, one 91 drive and averages out to score of 100.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-102051.png
    Screenshot_20211216-102051.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 67