Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had several roundabouts in my drive today. I wanted to see if FSD was having difficulty deciding how to negotiate them or was just being overly cautious in doing it. For two of the, I used a slight accelerator pressure to keep the car moving and it negotiated the roundabout perfectly. For the next two I allowed FSD beta control the progress. It accomplished the task, however it was very awkward and slow. Conclusion some of the poor performance is due to the car being overly cautious.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Conclusion some of the poor performance is due to the car being overly cautious.
That was my impression as well. The unwillingness to crest hills at speed, phantom slowing in otherwise clear ground, etc. Isn't the usual pattern with Tesla that they'll release updated functionality - but with it being tuned towards a bunch of caution? Then they tighten things up in a point release when they're comfortable with its performance in the field.

Lol greatest failure. A Bit of an exaggeration maybe? There are already Over 160,000 people using the software and the majority (including myself) find it rather useful and successful. Keeping your hands on the wheel and monitoring does not make it a failure. Removing Those guidelines Would be a failure!
Keeping your hands on the wheel and monitoring does not make it a failure CORRECT. Letting it drive you somewhere is the failure

FWIW, I got two strikes last night while using NoA on freeway, and have no clue as to why. No prior warnings at all, just sudden alarm with red hands-on-wheel symbol and message that system was shut off for remainder of trip. Had hands on wheel, paying close attention to driving, no blue banners, no messages on lower screen. Had to stop, PARK, and reset. Never had an issue for 3 years until now. It was first drive with FSD 10.69.3.1
I’ve had 2 red steering wheel events since installing 10.69.3.1 a day ago but they weren’t actual “strikes” — the autopilot screen still says I have zero strikes.

They were FSD computer crashes of some sort. They weren’t even “autopilot jail” since I was able to re-engage after awhile without stopping to put the car into Park.

I heard mention that the current take rate is 15%.

It IS a white knuckle ride. It's a question of getting used to that. Those who can will use the system. Tesla still needs another level of improvement before your average person is going to accept that FSD can actually drive competently. Until then it will freak out a lot of people.
Source for the 15% take rate?

Reactions: Ramphex

Happy to see Tesla cracking down on this. The difference in reaction time between having a hand on the wheel and not can be the difference between a normal disengagement and a bad accident.

I also noticed 10.69.3.1 is very serious about driver monitoring. I spent a second too long looking down at the new Energy tab while on the highway, and I got a stern "Pay attention to the road" message and warning beep.

Has anyone been able to use the software update? Meaning every since I got my Tesla, I could go to the software screen while connected to wifi or using premium connectivity and it would take a second or 2 and say just checked for update and my car was up to date as of the time I pulled the screen up.
Now after 10.69.3.1.0.420.000.69 or whatever version we are on, it is stuck on 2 days ago. Can anyone keep searching for a update over and over like we used to be able to do?
Same here. When I scroll that screen down for software updates nothing happens and it is from 3 days ago

• Informative
I had several roundabouts in my drive today. I wanted to see if FSD was having difficulty deciding how to negotiate them or was just being overly cautious in doing it. For two of the, I used a slight accelerator pressure to keep the car moving and it negotiated the roundabout perfectly. For the next two I allowed FSD beta control the progress. It accomplished the task, however it was very awkward and slow. Conclusion some of the poor performance is due to the car being overly cautious.
I don’t get the same response on the ones I navigate. Speed limit coming into them is 30. Speed limit for the roundabout is 15. When I don’t disengage, it tries to take the roundabout at 30, slamming on the brakes then accelerating very quickly…several times through the roundabout. When I manually set the speed limit to 15, it handles it better, but sometimes takes wide turns going into the other lane on exit.

It’s very very awkward and I disengage if there’s other cars about. Overly cautious isn’t how I’d describe my experience. Drunken sailor going to the casa de roho is a bit closer imo

Finally got few chances to drive on the latest build.

Good:
- turns are as good as my own. The speed is just about perfect for me now.
- signals early! When a new turn lane appears near a turn, it always signals just before entering into the lane, well before making actual turn. Nice!
- on one of the tricky ULT we have here, it handled well. Only on one other time, it passed at this location in the past. Not sure if it is a fluke.
- auto high beam - I was paying attention to the beam all the way, and it seems to be doing a decent job. The only time I disagreed was when the car in front was really fast away from me, to the point where the red lights were tiny dots. May be I'll keep auto high beam on all the time from now on and see what happens.
- higher position for the blind spot camera window sure is nice.
- not sure if I like the new energy graph but looks more complicated. lol. Need more time on that one.
- didn't get any red wheel issue.
- didn't experience 50% download stick issue.

Bad:
- lane change logic has definitely changed. Experienced few worse ones but may be it will also produce few improved surprises. Also that signal logic! I'm getting more brief signal on, then off. I see why it's doing it but those weren't necessary and previous version didn't do it.
- a big one - it went through a red light! This was at night, and it slightly applied brake just before deciding to pass through. Previous version would have easily stopped without any drama. Hasn't happened again.
- I think it still doesn't allow down fast enough when max speed drops all of a sudden.

I think I would score this build about the same as the last one overall. Hopefully, it improves before the next build arrives, as this was the case for some of the past builds.

There is no ‘report’ (little camera) icon anymore on the latest build. that seems interesting I think. Means different measures of analysis of behavior, not user implied issues?
Also anyone ‘stuck’ on a firmware can do a software update service request FYI ..see a few comments on being on a different build & I believe they can fix that for you…please correct me if this is not actually true! Works for other firmware mess ups
1669428908765.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
I don’t have a nag defeat device, but I also don’t see a reason why Tesla is wasting time on adding anti-defeat device measures. The people who are using them clearly don’t care about breaking the rules on purpose, and they’ll continue do it, regardless of what Tesla comes up with. Just sounds like a never ending cycle.

Why does .69 constantly switch lanes away from a turn when it's imminent? Makes so little sense.
Are you “chill” ?

In limited driving I found 69.3 to be better than 69.2.

My guess is the planner has some logic about which lanes to use - but those don’t work well. Potentially they use some probabilistic logic that would making switching lanes more likely because small changes in circumstances.

I don’t have a nag defeat device, but I also don’t see a reason why Tesla is wasting time on adding anti-defeat device measures. The people who are using them clearly don’t care about breaking the rules on purpose, and they’ll continue do it, regardless of what Tesla comes up with. Just sounds like a never ending cycle.
It’s a never ending race - like the games hackers and security people play.

Tesla might be forced to add anti-defeat device measures because
- NHTSA nudged them to
- Videos of people hacking gives Tesla bad publicity and potential revenue / market impact if Politicians and Regulators use that as an excuse to ban / limit AP / FSD.

EXACTLY what I was saying yesterday. Be careful all - if you care at all about your wheels and tires!

BC2E1FBB-C10C-4A52-8CC2-75ACDB9BB6D8.png