Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also:

Creeping
Stopping
Going
Turning (you had this in your list I guess).

I am not sure that the stopping and going is just polish. We will see.

Perhaps your driving is more aggressive than mine. I almost never full regen to a traffic control (let go of the accelerator).

Plus, stop signs were previously a lot faster, but NHTSA ruined that by forcing Tesla to 0-1mph.

What's left for Tesla to do:

Emergency vehicles (medium difficulty)
Hand sign / one-lane construction zones (difficult)
Parking lots (difficult to do smoothly)
Highway single stack (medium difficulty)
Turning and crossing multiple lanes simultaneously (slowly getting better)
Eliminate jerky wheel (impossible for 100%)
Staying on right edge for right turns, especially squeezing by cars to do so
Everything else is just polish
You've left off a few important things that come to mind:

Complying with school zone speed restrictions.
Stopping for school buses
Dodging Crashed UFOs and other random objects in the road including potholes.
Avoiding turn lanes when proceeding straight.
Slowing down on neighborhood streets when that are parked cars restricting vision.
Recognizing various street signs like, No Turn On Red, time-based turn restrictions, bus lane restrictions.
Not stopping on railroad tracks.

Perhaps your driving is more aggressive than mine. I almost never full regen to a traffic control (let go of the accelerator).
Are you really going to make me post a side-by-side comparison of FSD and a proper stop? It has nothing to do with driving aggressively; I’d settle for even 50% of full regen. (This should be scalable.)

It really is just about coming to a complete halt in a timely manner and not starting to slow WAY too early.

The exact degree of regen can be phased in - remember humans aren’t really bothered by the regen (acceleration) - they notice and are bothered by the change in regen (jerk). Which is currently still a problem - on some stops.
Plus, stop signs were previously a lot faster, but NHTSA ruined that by forcing Tesla to 0-1mph.
This has nothing to do with it. It was not good before that either. Coming to a complete halt is fine. That is not the problem. Taking forever to get to a halt, and then stopping for multiple seconds for no reason, and then slowly accelerating away, is a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: momo3605
It really is just about coming to a complete halt in a timely manner and not starting to slow WAY too early.

This has nothing to do with it. It was not good before that either. Coming to a complete halt is fine. That is not the problem. Taking forever to get to a halt, and then stopping for multiple seconds for no reason, and then slowly accelerating away, is a problem.

I'm curious how many people are complaining about this. I don't really notice it being "too slow" in videos. The only times it is "too slow" is when it's confused about where the stop line is.

Like I'm watching this video. There's 4-5 stops within the first 2 minutes. All of them look fine:

It should be obvious that FSD beta will not please everyone, so I'll just leave it at that. Like I said before, nitpicking about these things that are constantly being refined is kinda pointless. Right now, it seems decent to me, with some rough edges in some locales (constantly improving).

Last edited:
What's left for Tesla to do:

Emergency vehicles (medium difficulty)
Hand sign / one-lane construction zones (difficult)
Parking lots (difficult to do smoothly)
Highway single stack (medium difficulty)
Turning and crossing multiple lanes simultaneously (slowly getting better)
Eliminate jerky wheel (impossible for 100%)
Staying on right edge for right turns, especially squeezing by cars to do so
Everything else is just polish
And fast food drive up windows. Don’t forget fast food drive up windows.
Oh and the really hard problem… how to find the end of the In-N-Out line.

Avoiding turn lanes when proceeding straight
I've been trying to figure out which situations Tesla was trying to fix initially with 10.69:
  • Added a new "deep lane guidance" module to the Vector Lanes neural network with features extracted from the video streams with coarse map data, i.e. lane counts and lane connectivities. This architecture achieves a 44% lower error rate on lane topology compared to the previous model, enabling smoother control before lanes and their connectivities becomes visually apparent. This provides a way to make every Autopilot drive as good as someone driving their own commute, yet in a sufficiently general way that adapts for road changes.
This video seems to show improvements in 10.69.1.1 over previous versions on 4 intersections where it should continue straight even from 500+ feet away. Although curiously also better than 10.69, so I wonder if Tesla ended up training the new behavior even more in preparation for 10.69.2?

OpenStreetMap has no lanes data so Autopilot might fall back to a default assumption of 1 lane in each direction:

If so, it's not that surprising it had problems in the past if it kept believing there's supposed to be 1 lane. This could have also led to previous issues where FSD Beta would want to unnecessarily bias towards a certain lane "to follow route" even though it could have stayed in the current lane. So overall maybe this "deep lane guidance" will initially help with incorrect/incomplete map data where vision knows there's clearly more than 1 lane and should rely on what it sees over map data.

It’s installing on my Model Y as I type this. Very excited.
I just got the notification, too. Very surprising.

I only got into the FSD program in May and definitely not influential. I have a drive on a rural highway I do once or twice a week that has two well marked, four way stop intersections that I don't turn on. One intersection has stop signs; the other has stop signs with large, overhead flashing red lights. FSD doesn't even think about slowing down or stopping.

On the same drive, I have another intersection with a stop sign and a left turn. FSD proceeds to the middle of the intersecting road and stops.

I've pressed the record button several times to send this behavior to Tesla. It will be interesting to see what happens next time.

Like I'm watching this video. There's 4-5 stops within the first 2 minutes. All of them look fine:
We have been through this. Of course it looks fine. 1) It’s not, actually, and 2) you cannot easily see or sense the behavior.
Like I said before, nitpicking about these things that are constantly being refined is kinda pointless. Right now, it seems decent to me, with some rough edges in some locales (constantly improving)
Nothing to do with nitpicking. Just something that is observed, confirmed, and needs to be fixed before wide release. It will never fly. I don’t think it can possibly be fundamental, but here we are a year later. If it is just polish, it will go away eventually.

Much more interesting is the creeping. It’s a very interesting question: why is it broken? Is it creeping too far because the neural nets are too slow, and by the time it gets the information the car has traveled too far (seems doubtful)? Or does the car have problems knowing what it can see in some situations (trees occluding for example)? Or is it just tuning? (I hope we don’t have to wait a year for polish, otherwise none of us will be doing UPLs with traffic.) I hope this is addressed in 10.69.2 rather than having to wait!

For me, so far, the creep network has only caused regressions (except for the straightening of the wheel on my turn, which only partially addressed the previously created issue of being too far left). It probably helps in some situations, but most of the videos people have posted show the issues, so regressions are quite common.

Last edited:
Reactions: momo3605
Here is an image I made from a pic I took a few years ago. I despise vertical videos and the obtuse loss of horizontal picture information.

View attachment 848954
I was a vertical video hater until I had a child. It is actually easier to film kids with vertical video because you don't have to step way back to get them in frame.

But, I also agree you aren't losing anything by filming horizontally, since you can't display 4k vertical video anywhere anyway. Might as well record with the 4k on the horizontal axis rather than vertical.

I got 10.69.1.1 yesterday. On multi-lane roads, it is much more confident and lane selection seems to be much improved. On well marked, 2-lane roads, it seems to have taken several steps back. It still tracks too close to the center line and even crosses it on right-hand curves. In fact, it tracks so close to the center, it often perceives traffic in the opposite lane as a head-on collision risk. Several times, it went from 40 mph to a dead stop in the road when traffic was in the opposite lane. I don't know why lane centering is so difficult for Tesla.

I got 10.69.1.1 yesterday. On multi-lane roads, it is much more confident and lane selection seems to be much improved. On well marked, 2-lane roads, it seems to have taken several steps back. It still tracks too close to the center line and even crosses it on right-hand curves. In fact, it tracks so close to the center, it often perceives traffic in the opposite lane as a head-on collision risk. Several times, it went from 40 mph to a dead stop in the road when traffic was in the opposite lane. I don't know why lane centering is so difficult for Tesla.
Well, that's encouraging and discouraging at the same time. Lane selection was responsible for over 75% of my disengagements, so fixing it would go a long way towards making it more useable for me but it sounds like they've decided to make phantom braking worse again. :(

one thing to keep in mind, though, is the law of unintended consequences. with a complex system changing one behavior will often cause unexpected and unintended changes in other behaviors. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening here.

Reactions: Battouttahe77