Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the pulsing regen relates to when the brake light turns on signaling to following cars that you are slowing down? Sometimes a good safety practice. Tesla indication of Brake light on/off is hard to see. I sometimes wish they have brake light indicator on the display.
No, because it happens with no lead traffic. Ignore the first unnecessary slowdown, which was due to lead traffic. I’ll post better examples once I capture them.

Last edited:
Ok. I captured the graph using the "grabit" utility for Matlab. I understand that you're a software engineer? Perhaps you can do the other half of this project and tabulate the number of FSD users from TeslaFi's sample (unfortunately they don't provide a simple table, all the data is there though, they maker which versions of FSD beta).
March 2021 "Currently there are 824 vehicles in the pilot program -753 employees and 71 nonemployees."
We know there was a big ramp to 60k users by January 2022.
We know there were basically no new users added until it was expanded to 100k users (note that the graph is completely flat during that time!)
View attachment 852788

FSD has definitely gotten better. I just think if you look at the data you will find that the increase in miles per month is entirely due to Tesla releasing it to more people.
You are completely missing the point I’ve tried several times to make. So trying to make it again seems like a waste of both our time. 🤷‍♂️

(Hint: Imagine what the graph would look like if Tesla only ever released the first beta version to all those different people at those same expansion times AND as at today there were only one bollard boop.)

For my fellow queue-mates, 10.69.2.1 goes to those with scores 80+ ina few days. 10.69.3 after AI Day (Sept 30):

Technically, Musk didn’t say that 10.69.2.1 was the version that would go out to the 80+…

It’s a fair assumption. But given Musk’s tendency for highly qualified statements (that people often mis-parse as promises without qualification), I’d lay even odds as to whether the ambiguity was a careful choice of words or just the result of a brief tweet.

Sorry, I have to say I failed to feel the problem without the in car motion feedback. The stop seems quite smooth visually.
Just watch the regen bar. It tells you everything. When it is long, you do not want to see it jump to short, then to long again. When it is very short, fluctuations matter less.

In this video, you’d see the regen bar get long three times:
1) Response to lead vehicle slowing, and maybe the light (probably not).
2) Initial slowdown transient. But then you see it jump to get short again (this is bad and is lost opportunity to use regen!)
3) Final slowdown bar gets long again. Then gradually shortens to nothing.

What should have happened is one elongation of the bar to a fairly long but perhaps not max length, and then stay that way for a bit, then gradually shorten to nothing.

The rapid changes in the length will directly tell you how lacking in smoothness the stop is. You can do this in any FSD Beta video and “feel” the drive. An initial large jump is not necessarily bad, but the more gradually it goes to max length, the better. You just don’t want to see the long-short-long pattern. We’re not trying to signal SOS here.

Deceleration is mandatory, but high jerk is not.

Those HDMI hacks are definitely helpful for this!

Last edited:
Reactions: insaneoctane
Just watch the regen bar. It tells you everything. When it is long, you do not want to see it jump to short, then to long again. When it is very short, fluctuations matter less.

In this video, you’d see the regen bar get long three times:
1) Response to lead vehicle slowing, and maybe the light (probably not).
2) Initial slowdown transient. But then you see it jump to get short again (this is bad and is lost opportunity to use regen!)
3) Final slowdown bar gets long again. Then gradually shortens to nothing.

What should have happened is one elongation of the bar to a fairly long but perhaps not max length, and then stay that way for a bit, then gradually shorten to nothing.

The rapid changes in the length will directly tell you how lacking in smoothness the stop is. You can do this in any FSD Beta video and “feel” the drive.

Deceleration is mandatory, but high jerk is not.

Those HDMI hacks are definitely helpful for this!
It's hard to see your visualizations, but what I think is happening is that the lead car (which is highlighted in black) started to slow down and make a lane change. FSD wants to slow down for it until the car is completely in the new lane (like leaving your hand on a chess piece after making the move so you can take it back), so the car stays black until it's fully moved and then switches to a lighter grey. At that point the car feels it's okay to speed up, but then almost immediately hits the threshold for slowing for the light - so you had a brief moment where the regen dropped as if it was going to accelerate, and then decline again for the light.

Reactions: sleepydoc
It's hard to see your visualizations, but what I think is happening is that the lead car (which is highlighted in black) started to slow down and make a lane change. FSD wants to slow down for it until the car is completely in the new lane (like leaving your hand on a chess piece after making the move so you can take it back), so the car stays black until it's fully moved and then switches to a lighter grey. At that point the car feels it's okay to speed up, but then almost immediately hits the threshold for slowing for the light - so you had a brief moment where the regen dropped as if it was going to accelerate, and then decline again for the light.
Remember I said to ignore that first pulse - that is why it happened, as you say (of course it was WAY overdone, but a separate issue). Just look at the TWO subsequent pulses. There are two - that’s the problem. That is a huge amount of lost stopping power over the course of less than a second. And clearly could have used less brakes instead (obviously zero brakes was super trivial here too - why did it use them?).
At that point the car feels it's okay to speed up, but then almost immediately hits the threshold for slowing for the light - so you had a brief moment where the regen dropped as if it was goin
Again, there were TWO drops in regen (three major regen peaks). If there had just been one, this wouldn’t have even met the threshold for a stopping issue.

There are obviously better video examples, which I will capture (happens quite a lot so not difficult!). I’ll move the camera slightly closer at the expense of field of view. But you can’t really watch these easily on a cell phone (you can, just not ideal). Need at least an iPad or something.

It’s frustrating because occasionally it slows down just fine.

Last edited:
Since I’m apparently too dense can someone explain to me MrTemple’s point regarding cumulative FSD beta miles?
No, I can’t figure it out. In response to his hint: I think the miles plot would look the same if Tesla had just progressively rolled out 10.2 to progressively larger groups. People would be diligently using it to provide Tesla with training data, and accepting the somewhat rough turning and other limitations. Those limitations are not an impediment to racking up the miles; I think that is clear. 10.2 was likely good enough for wide release, based on what I am hearing. It’s just exciting to have a piece of software that drives you around, so people are going to use it!

No, I can’t figure it out. In response to his hint: I think the miles plot would look the same if Tesla had just progressively rolled out 10.2 to progressively larger groups. People would be diligently using it to provide Tesla with training data, and accepting the somewhat rough turning and other limitations. Those limitations are not an impediment to racking up the miles; I think that is clear. 10.2 was likely good enough for wide release, based on what I am hearing. It’s just exciting to have a piece of software that drives you around, so people are going to use it!
So all these people in this thread, on Twitter, on the Tesla Facebook groups saying that they are using it more…

They are lying and you know the real score that they would be using a way less capable version just as much? 🤔

AND that many miles driven on that way less capable version would have resulted in exactly zero more collisions.

This is a very curious standpoint.

But let’s assume it’s true.

Why then would Tesla not have released 10.2 to everybody who bought FSD. Since it’s equally capable and equally safe, why wouldn’t they HUGELY increase the number of miles driven, and accelerate the harvesting of edge-cases?

They just didn’t feel like it?

I mean. Come on. 🤦‍♂️

I think he’s saying that even if the miles per user is constant the expansions bring in users who would have driven less on previous versions. The evidence against this hypothesis is 10.11 was released with no expansion of users and while that release was 🔥 it did not result in an increase of usage.
It will be interesting to see how much people use it once it is available to everyone (assuming Tesla keeps publishing this stat).

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So all these people in this thread, on Twitter, on the Tesla Facebook groups saying that they are using it more…
But it looks like Tesla’s data may not show any increase, and I think that seems more credible than what people say on Facebook (who uses Facebook anyway?).

But you were supposed to gather the user counts so we could create a definitive plot. Then we can see.

But it looks like Tesla’s data may not show any increase,

From what are you drawing this conclusion?

But you were supposed to gather the user counts so we could create a definitive plot. Then we can see.
User counts have literally nothing to do with my point. 🤷‍♂️

You didn’t answer my question. If 10.2 was equally capable and safe as the latest, why wouldn’t Tesla have rolled that as wide as it has gone now?

User counts have literally nothing to do with my point. 🤷‍♂️
Aren’t user counts required to determine average usage per user?
From what are you drawing this conclusion?

Daniel’s plots looked pretty flat when user counts were stable. But it’s a little hard to be definitive without dividing the plot by the number of users at each point.

You didn’t answer my question. If 10.2 was equally capable and safe as the latest, why wouldn’t Tesla have rolled that as wide as it has gone now?
I think they probably wanted to improve the driver monitoring (which, yes, indirectly impacts safety but I don’t think that’s what you mean by “safe”). That’s clearly been the biggest shift since 10.2 - huge changes in how monitoring is done (accompanied by strike resets as they iterate). Obviously there have been other improvements too, but I’m not sure they would greatly increase the usage, at least in the current beta group.
They also probably wanted to get a sense for how much people would use it and in what scenarios, and their degree of attention, before taking a risk on a larger group.
It might be a bit more safe now, but it’s a bit hard to tell. If an accident occurs on a future version, that will potentially suggest it is less safe than prior versions (it would technically be infinitely less safe)!

Last edited:
Who wants to sit in the middle of the road with traffic whizzing past you at 50mph just a couple feet away?
That's quite literally what people do when waiting to make a left turn from the main road. I believe that's basically what FSD Beta is looking for these median crossover regions -- presumably, if the main road has space for a car to wait to turn to the side street, someone coming from the side street could theoretically pose almost parallel to the main road.

I've seen 10.69 think about doing this 2-step maneuver even on residential 25mph streets with 1 through lane in each direction and a temporary left-turn lane into the side street. I would never have thought to wait in the middle of the road in these cases, and practically FSD Beta will just roll on through as there isn't that much traffic (and probably would confuse others if it did it).