Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t you already have FSD Beta and request removal from the program at some point? I could see Tesla ignoring subsequent requests. Seems like a lot of hassle.

In any case seems like a special case.
Yes he did... but me explaining why he left won't do @jebinc justice!! He did NOT leave Beta because of any prison sentence.. just to be clear!

• Funny
Reactions: PACEMD and jebinc
Just did my first short drive on FSD Beta. Maybe my threshold for amazement is much lower than you all, but having come from base AP just a month ago, I'm very impressed.

The FSD visualizations have got to be worth a couple thousand dollars by themselves. It's honestly incredible seeing dozens of cars and pedestrians visualized all at once on the full screen. And they do genuinely point to the system being capable of perception beyond human capabilities. Several times I thought it was erroneously displaying pedestrians on the side of the road, only to do a double-take and realize there really were people that I hadn't seen.

The only thing I wish Tesla could document or make clearer for us is exactly what the system limitations are now. My only accidental disengagement was on a right turn on red, due to me gripping the steering wheel too tightly. But my first right turn has a "No right turn on red while pedestrians are present" sign, and FSDb came to a full stop and wouldn't continue. I still have no clue if it was trying to obey the sign, or stopping for another reason.

Do we have a community-compiled list of things we know are not presently coded into FSDb? U-turns, reading certain signs, etc?
I'm impressed with perception as well. Last night on my drive home, there was a kid dressed in dark clothes riding a black BMX on the sidewalk. The only lighter color on him was a light-grey helmet. Visualization saw and tracked him the entire time, even when I didn't think there was anything there.

I saw a thread on Reddit with similar symptoms:

Some of the comments suggested disabling Sentry mode and letting the car go into a deep sleep for a few hours. Other comments suggested re-calibrating the cameras.
I've been having issues with FSD as well. It keeps disengaging with a "Take Over Immediately" after a few miles. I get the red steering wheel and alarm with an "Autosteer aborted due to system error" message on the display. It's weird because the FSD visualizations still show, just no trajectory line and I can't enable FSD until a reboot of the vehicle. Sometimes after disabling, the trajectory line is drawn but across the visualization in random spots.

I scheduled with Tesla Service with timestamps but they basically told me "It's experimental software so we can't really help you" and cancelled my appointment. I emailed the FSD Beta team but I haven't gotten any responses yet.
I got the new v10.69.2.1 but I still have the same issues. Really weird, not quite sure what to make of it.

If I enable AP on the freeway with regular autosteer, I have zero issues.

PXL_20220915_044219920 (1).jpg

PXL_20220915_044344178_2.jpg

PXL_20220916_204852418.jpg

Last edited:
I've been having issues with FSD as well. It keeps disengaging with a "Take Over Immediately" after a few miles. I get the red steering wheel and alarm with an "Autosteer aborted due to system error" message on the display. It's weird because the FSD visualizations still show, just no trajectory line and I can't enable FSD until a reboot of the vehicle. Sometimes after disabling, the trajectory line is drawn but across the visualization in random spots.
I scheduled with Tesla Service with timestamps but they basically told me "It's experimental software so we can't really help you" and cancelled my appointment. I emailed the FSD Beta team but I haven't gotten any responses yet.
I got the new v10.69.2.1 but I still have the same issues. Really weird, not quite sure what to make of it.

View attachment 854935

View attachment 854936

View attachment 854937
Do the usual:

1) Wash the car
2) Reboot the car
3) Recalibrate the cameras
4) Set the settings back up (since calibration removes several of them)

If that doesn't work, when the error occurs, press the voice button and say "bug report" and note the date/time you did so. Then open a service ticket and reference the bug report you made.

Do the usual:

1) Wash the car
2) Reboot the car
3) Recalibrate the cameras
4) Set the settings back up (since calibration removes several of them)

If that doesn't work, when the error occurs, press the voice button and say "bug report" and note the date/time you did so. Then open a service ticket and reference the bug report you made.
1) Washed the car and cleaned all the sensors
2) Rebooted the vehicle multiple times, let the vehicle sleep, etc.
3) Tried camera recalibration, no dice
4) Did this too

I did submit bug reports and time stamps, but Tesla Service cancelled the appointment after finding out I was on FSD Beta. They said they couldn't see any hardware issues through the logs and cancelled the appointment.

I looked it up online, saw some similar reports from much older versions of FSD Beta. They suggested changing the tire configuration and switching it back. I also unplugged the SSD and any USB accessories plugged into the car but I had no luck with either of those suggestions either.

Last edited:
1) Washed the car and cleaned all the sensors
2) Rebooted the vehicle multiple times, let the vehicle sleep, etc.
3) Tried recalibration, no dice
4) Did this too

I did submit bug reports and time stamps, but Tesla Service cancelled the appointment after finding out I was on FSD Beta. They said they couldn't see any hardware issues through the logs and cancelled the appointment.

I looked it up online, saw some similar reports from much older versions of FSD Beta. They suggested changing the tire configuration and switching it back. I also unplugged the SSD and any USB accessories plugged into the car but I had no luck with either of those suggestions either.
Only other suggestion I can make is to do a factory reset of the car and set everything back up. In the past, that was an issue because it would kick you out of the FSD Beta. However, I'm not sure if everyone with over 80 score gets back in automatically, so you might just need to drive for 100 miles and get a decent safety score to get back in. I recall someone mentioning that the car can get overloaded with extra "cache" that fills up the OS - kinda like cookies overloading the browser. The person said their technician advised them to factory wipe/reset the car as the only way to clear all that extra cache. I obviously recommend caution, and perhaps to confirm with your service tech if it's safe to wipe/factory reset the car.

Here I am again, reporting on 69.2.2.

First: Yep, there are disengagements required. But.. On today's two 20-mile drives through the congested wilderness of Central New Jersey, all of those disengagements were not due to safety issues, but me just trying to go a bit faster in spots.

Disengagements, 2X: I want to go straight, there's a car on the left edge of a two-lane, striped road that wants to turn left. There's plenty of room on the right, FSD-b lines up behind the pick-up truck. Sigh. Disengage, go around. Happened twice.

Freeway: I'm in the left lane, slow car in front of me and in the lane to the left, both racing to see how slow they can go. A gap opens up: I disengage, zip to the left, zip around the pair of slow-bodies (doing 50 in a 65 mph zone, really), get back in the center lane, back to FSD-b.

Now, for the things the car did right:
  1. At a light waiting to take a left turn. For the very first time, the steering wheel was not canted to the right while waiting for the light to go green. It's been bothering me lots. Do not turn right to go left: Why the heck were all the FSD-b's doing that, anyway? This time, the wheel was canted to the left. Car jerked some when it the light changed and the car got moving, but, still. FINALLY.
  2. In what appears to be a related note, on a right turn (green light coming up to the turn) the car went for the corner rather than making a wide right turn around the curb, as if the curb was Kryptonite and it didn't want to get too close. Relatively smooth turn, too. (No turn with FSD-b is as smooth as with a human, but, as the releases continue, they appear to be getting better.)
  3. After the turn in #2, about a half-mile up, there's a telephone construction truck taking up the entire lane with cones sprinkled liberally, some into the opposing lane. As it happens, there wasn't any oncoming traffic. The car didn't even slow down, just went left, around the cones cleanly, got back into lane, and kept on chugging. It might have done stuff like this with garbage trucks and such before now, but it was definitely smoother this time around.
  4. There's this narrow, unstriped, 25 mph road that everybody including the little old lady from Pasadena, go 35-40 upon, that has Hills with limited sight view ahead. Previous versions of FSD-b seemed to think that living in the dead center of the road as one approached the crest of a hill was a Fine Thing to Do. With 69.2, following a full-size dump truck, passing traffic on the narrowest portion of the road resulted in 69.2 freaking out, halting, and refusing to move. Admittedly, safely on the right side of the road, but after taking what it considered to be evasive action. 69.2.2 was, this time, following a Fedex box truck whose driver apparently believed that going slow was for sissies. First: 69.2.2 hung out to the right of the centerline down the mile length of this road. Not nearly as close to the right verge as I'd prefer, but a heck of a lot better than dead-set in the middle. When that narrow spot appeared, the Fedex truck braked and slowed down a bit (a miracle!) while a bunch of cars going the other way passed on by. FSD-b got a bit further to the right, jerked the wheel a bit as if thinking about panicking, but kept on chugging. On that whole road section, not one disengagement, a first.
  5. There's this spot on a major road (not an interstate, but the next thing down) where there's a right exit. After the exit, the road splits into two lanes; on the right lane, one has the option of turning sharp right onto what is, essentially, a 180-degree turn and merge bridge over the original major road. There's this crosswalk that one must cross as one takes the first part of the 180 degree turn: All the previous FSD-b releases would try and stop at that crosswalk with nary a pedestrian in sight. This one.. kept up with traffic with a minor slow-down, and successfully merged with traffic coming up on the left.
  6. The Nemesis Intersection: After all that bridge stuff, the road eventually follows a twisty stream heading generally uphill; at the end of this section, the road rises, splits into three lanes, one left turn, one in the middle for straight, and one on the right for (eventually) getting onto an interstate. There is a sign as one approaches the intersection with an explanation as to which lane is for which, but no stripes until one crests the hill and then moves downwards to the actual light. FSD-b has been heading for the far left lane, where it tends to get stuck, since the car is supposed to go up the hill but can't when it gets stuck in that lane. 69.2.2 went for the left, so that's not been fixed as of yet, darn it. Once plopped into the center lane, it at least stayed there, one that the 10.12 branch wouldn't do.
  7. Improvements in Speed Reading. On another major 6-lane road with Jersey Barriers down the middle, 3 lanes each direction, there's speed limit signs that consist of a top sign saying, "50". And, directly below that sign, on the same pole, is another sign with the word "Trucks" and the number "45". When passing these suckers, one can see the display showing Two, count them, Two! speed limit signs on separate poles, jittering madly back and forth, with the car randomly picking one. If it picks 50, fine. But about half the time over a 2-mile stretch with four of these things I get "45" on the car's limit. On today's run: 50 mph steady and no flipping around. About Darn Time.
So, on today's runs, together, about 4 or so disengagements, 10 or so hits at the video recorder for Student Driver mistakes in Form. And that's better than the 11.nn branch where it'd be about 10 or 15 disengagements and 25 or so hits for the day. Improved, not perfect, but it's getting better.

I suspect you would be comfortable if it did not use the brakes and stopped smoothly, in the unlikely event it reached 25mph.
I’m pretty sure it used to get up to 25 mph, but when I did the route today multiple times on 69.2.2, it felt much better and peaked at 18 mph. I’m curious if it’s been improved, if I’m remembering wrong, or if it’s inconsistent.
Just disengage before any honking! Disengage the moment it does anything remotely wrong or it looks like it might do something wrong. This is the way.

Makes for a stress-free experience. And there is only upside.
This is safe advice everyone should follow. I don’t follow it, though. Giving it a long leash and letting it makes mistakes means way fewer disengagements for me and way less anxiety (since I’m okay with safe mistakes). I only worry about it potentially damaging property or making other drivers uncomfortable.

New observations:

The Good
  • Finally remembers the four-lane divided road with super faint lane markers near me is still four lanes when it temporarily can’t see the lane markers. Previously it would lose sight of the lane markers and would start driving in the middle (despite the width of the road remaining the same the entire time).
The Bad
  • In the middle of a turn, it suddenly applied a lot of acceleration for a split second. I think the vast majority of people would have disengaged, but I let it do it’s thing and saw it quickly recover.
The Shilling
  • It continues to handle the odd intersection near me sooooo much better than 10.12 did. I can definitely see why they’re releasing it out to more people.

Another drive with 10.69.2.2 in West LA. Mostly good, but very squirrelly on left turns in intersections where it makes constant micro-corrections and jerks.

On my usual commute, two spots in particular give it consistent trouble. The first is the 405 South exit to Sunset Blvd West. There's a left-turn-then-right-turn dogleg, and it never chooses the correct lane; I've always had to take over. The second is San Vicente East to Gretna Green North. It's a left turn across traffic, with a stop sign in the median that the car never sees until the last possible moment, then slams on the brakes hard enough to activate ABS. (I've only tested this when there is no traffic and it would be safe to run the stop sign.) Rather, it sees the stop sign (I'll check the visualization next time), but seems to assume that it doesn't apply to it until the car is pointed exactly square-on to it.

Both of these are cases where back-to-back maneuvers are required (the dogleg in the first case, and the left-then-stop in the second case), and the car seems to have no custom logic to handle such combinations. It's not clear whether it would be better to tackle this with classical top-down logic or with bottom-up ML, but it's something Tesla will have to solve soon if they want to get to useful L2.

The recent round of 10.69.X updates has significantly improved performance for me with the exception of two critical areas. 1. For some reason I get PB and in a few areas hard stop for intersections from the right even with no traffic near the intersection. 2. At intersections where there is a short added lane for exit and entry, car moves right into turn lane then back into travel lane after intersection. Both of these have existed for a while and are potential accident causing actions.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1