Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, it only changes speed when it sees a sign.....
Actually if there is no signs it reads Speed Limits from the Navigation Data file (downloaded a couple of times a year) and determines the Speed Limit. This data is likely aggregated from Tom Tom, Open Street Maps and...... Since there is no other posted limits it is likely the default speed limit is 25MPH as Dewg posted and that is what the Navigation Data file says.

but are speed limit signs the only real way this is going to improve for now given the "Beta" nature. I pretty much have to disengage every time
It took me a while after getting FSDb to learn places where I want to scroll down the MAX speed with my right thumb. This seems best done in advance. For example often when making a turn into a residential neighborhood, left to itself it "inherits" the MAX speed from the previous road. So I wait until the car starts slowing down for the turn, then get the scrolling down done before the turn completes.

Noted, that is not fixing FSDb's problem, but I find it to be a better mitigation than waiting for trouble and then disengaging.

California traffic codes have residential speed limits at 25MPH, so I think the car is just doing what's to code when speed limit signs are not available. You can wheel down to 10 as you indicated.

My feeder street into my neighborhood is weird. It's a continuation of a street with a 45MPH limit that crosses a large street (highway) with a 50MPH limit. When turning right from the large street into my neighborhood, the car immediately lowers the speed to 25MPH. But when crossing the large street from the 45MPH street, the speed doesn't drop and stays 45MPH until the street makes a 90 degree left bend, where it drops to 25MPH.

Some map speed limit update seems to only occur in certain conditions, not sure why. I've reported it and e-mailed the team about it.
Ok, yeah, i guess i just expected it to know...right before you responded, i googled speed limit residential neighborhood and of course it is as you said, 25 mph. It just seems really fast, i never go 25 mph in ANY neighborhood because of kids playing, just seems like it should be something FSD recognizes and adjust according to awareness of where it is.....for example maps knows that my home is at end of cul de sac.....but the car doesnt seem to know because its flying down my street. Maybe in anothere update, it will recognize, "hey, im in a neighborhood that dead ends here, maybe I should adjust speed so I dont have to slam on brakes". Is there any likelihood that FSD can "learn" where certain areas are next to home or other remembered location where it can gear down to something more like 10 mph, that way I dont have to intervene?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Is there any likelihood that FSD can "learn" where certain areas are next to home or other remembered location where it can gear down to something more like 10 mph, that way I dont have to intervene?
This is something Tesla will eventually have to address of course, but I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon. It's been a problem since the beta's initial rollout, and hasn't changed a lick as of yet (in my experience, anyways). For now, I think they've still got much bigger fish to fry first!

.... Is there any likelihood that FSD can "learn" where certain areas are next to home or other remembered location where it can gear down to something more like 10 mph, that way I dont have to intervene?
No all learning is in the Neural Net and not individual cars. Also are you scrolling down soon enough? It is slow to respond but you should have the spot marked out to scroll your speed down in time so you don't have to brake or disengage.

No all learning is in the Neural Net and not individual cars. Also are you scrolling down soon enough? It is slow to respond but you should have the spot marked out to scroll your speed down in time so you don't have to brake or disengage.
No, i havent, wanted to see if things would get better, but I guess based on what everyone is saying, its certainly NOT going to be something that will change in immediate future. I will start adjusting down once I hit the stop light, seems that would be a good enough way to slow it down even before I hit my street. Thanks guys!!

Ok, yeah, i guess i just expected it to know...right before you responded, i googled speed limit residential neighborhood and of course it is as you said, 25 mph. It just seems really fast, i never go 25 mph in ANY neighborhood because of kids playing, just seems like it should be something FSD recognizes and adjust according to awareness of where it is.....for example maps knows that my home is at end of cul de sac.....but the car doesnt seem to know because its flying down my street. Maybe in anothere update, it will recognize, "hey, im in a neighborhood that dead ends here, maybe I should adjust speed so I dont have to slam on brakes". Is there any likelihood that FSD can "learn" where certain areas are next to home or other remembered location where it can gear down to something more like 10 mph, that way I dont have to intervene?
It's constantly improving, so the short answer is yes. It will get better over time.

Reactions: clydeiii
Actually if there is no signs it reads Speed Limits from the Navigation Data file . . .
And if there is no road edge, it'll drive anyway.
(no road edge shown in am or pm)

country_drive_today.jpg

Reactions: Oil Freedom
I have had really good experiences with .2.3 here are the issues I have experienced

Right after we leave our house we drive 3 house to a 4 way stop. Have to take a left to exit subdivision. Even with no other cars present this left is the most tentative jittery left that FSD does. Just plain weird. It should be quick stop and just go with no one else around. Instead it waits to long then while turning will stop and go and stop and go. Nothing at all on any of the corners to block view.

Sometimes when preparing to take a left turn the car will start to go right before correcting and moving into left turn lane. Only moves a foot or two to the right before correcting and heading to left hand turn lane.

Sometimes accelerates to quickly after taking left especially when pulling into parking lot.

Annoys my wife when we come to four way stop and it comes to complete stop and pauses before continuing. Yup those 2 seconds she will never get back.

Actually if there is no signs it reads Speed Limits from the Navigation Data file (downloaded a couple of times a year) and determines the Speed Limit. This data is likely aggregated from Tom Tom, Open Street Maps and...... Since there is no other posted limits it is likely the default speed limit is 25MPH as Dewg posted and that is what the Navigation Data file says.
Really? I have been living in my neighborhood for 30 years and the limit is always 25 mph. It it didn't see the signs, it will continue to go at 40mph after turning into my street. The data must be sadly incorrect for decades!

• Informative
I recently installed FSD Beta and after a week of using it, I am still experiencing something that I dont know the answer to, hoping someone here can. Overall, I live in a challenging environment for FSD. Lots of contstruction going on, lanes that dont make alot of sense at times, so its kind of hit/miss with FSD. Anyway, whenver I set a destination for home from wherever I am, as soon as we pull into my residential neighborhood, there dont seem to be any speed limit signs, so FSD continues to speed along at 25 mph right into my neighborhood and that is waaaay too fast. Perhaps we arent there yet with the upcoming things that FSD should adjust to, but are speed limit signs the only real way this is going to improve for now given the "Beta" nature. I pretty much have to disengage every time, it never slows down to 10 mph, it just cruises at same speed of 25 all the way down my street to the cul de sac.
It can be a little aggressive in these cases (which setting do you use?). I've found that it slows down when it sees cars coming or pedestrians etc, so its not that the car is being totally careless. And of course you can always use the scroll wheel to dial-down the speed at any time.

Really? I have been living in my neighborhood for 30 years and the limit is always 25 mph. It it didn't see the signs, it will continue to go at 40mph after turning into my street. The data must be sadly incorrect for decades!
You could check and if wrong update it on Open Street Maps. Of course no guarantee that is where Tesla gets that specific data from and it may be Tom Tom or......

You could check and if wrong update it on Open Street Maps. Of course no guarantee that is where Tesla gets that specific data from and it may be Tom Tom or......
Yeah, there is always the limitation relying on map data. For more than a year, there is a section of interstate here, the tesla will suddenly slows down to 45 mph, speed limit is 65 mph but most drive at 70. It’s after they raised the road to a bridge, more or less just heigh. They have put speed limit sign before but somehow Tesla didn’t pay attention until more recent releases. It’s really annoying before and people are why my car slows down.

New behavior for me. Approached an intersection in the left lane (1 of 2 lanes) and FSD crept forward for visibility but not as far as the creep line. Fine so far. Then a car pulled beside in the right hand blocking visibility. So what did FSD do? It quickly crept forward to the creep line, made a decision and go and went for it. Excellent behavior. Was it just a coincidence or did FSD react to the car next to us?

Today I was driving with FSD Beta, and something strange/concerning happened. I was following behind a 3-wheel car, and we were slowing down to a stop after exiting the Freeway (so FSD Beta was engaged). The 3-wheel moved to the left side of the lane, and FSD acted as if it wasn't there and looked like it would have hit it if I hadn't stepped on the brakes. After hitting the brakes, I noticed the display of the 3-wheel car kept switching from a car, to a motorcycle, then to nothing, and then repeating. I took an Autopilot Snapshot and a Dashcam recording.

I sent an email to the FSD Beta team with the time and data.

Today I was driving with FSD Beta, and something strange/concerning happened. I was following behind a 3-wheel car, and we were slowing down to a stop after exiting the Freeway (so FSD Beta was engaged). The 3-wheel moved to the left side of the lane, and FSD acted as if it wasn't there and looked like it would have hit it if I hadn't stepped on the brakes. After hitting the brakes, I noticed the display of the 3-wheel car kept switching from a car, to a motorcycle, then to nothing, and then repeating. I took an Autopilot Snapshot and a Dashcam recording.

I sent an email to the FSD Beta team with the time and data.
I wonder if it got couldn’t identify it since it didn’t fit the recognition criteria for a car or a motorcycle and it ended up going to ‘nothing?’

This isn’t desirable but it’s the kind of thing that happens when your algorithm that works fine when you test it meets the real world with things you didn’t consider in your testing.

Reactions: bhakan and Z_Lynx