Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD made a very weird but potentially dangerous decision for me today. It was behind a bus in the right hand lane. The bus was slowly coming to a stop when suddenly it decided to change to the left lane to pass the bus. There were two cars in the left lane at the time. It let the first car pass but then it started to accelerate into the lane change before the second car had passed. It felt like it didn’t see the second car or something. Of course I disengaged FSD before anything happened and got a good honking at. I’ve never seen FSD make a sudden turn like that and without regard to traffic. Most of the time, FSD drives pretty chill, don’t know why it was in a rush all of a sudden.

What version are you on

FSD made a very weird but potentially dangerous decision for me today. It was behind a bus in the right hand lane. The bus was slowly coming to a stop when suddenly it decided to change to the left lane to pass the bus. There were two cars in the left lane at the time. It let the first car pass but then it started to accelerate into the lane change before the second car had passed. It felt like it didn’t see the second car or something. Of course I disengaged FSD before anything happened and got a good honking at. I’ve never seen FSD make a sudden turn like that and without regard to traffic. Most of the time, FSD drives pretty chill, don’t know why it was in a rush all of a sudden.
I've noticed these recent releases are extremely aggressive at lane changes. I've got my car set on chill but it still changes lanes at the stupidest times and performs what I call the NewYorker lane change, where the car starts moving left before the first blink of the indicator has finished.
Yesterday we were coming up to a red light in traffic and it decided to do the half blink and switch to the left lane, it accelerated hard and immediately braked hard due to the stopped traffic in that lane. Once we got through the light it did the same thing switching back to the right lane right behind the car we moved left to avoid. Its embarrassingly bad.
Sometimes FSDb is really good, but dumb actions like that prevent me from using it more.
I just keep repeating the old mantra "the next version will be better - at something"

I've noticed these recent releases are extremely aggressive at lane changes. I've got my car set on chill but it still changes lanes at the stupidest times and performs what I call the NewYorker lane change, where the car starts moving left before the first blink of the indicator has finished.
Yesterday we were coming up to a red light in traffic and it decided to do the half blink and switch to the left lane, it accelerated hard and immediately braked hard due to the stopped traffic in that lane. Once we got through the light it did the same thing switching back to the right lane right behind the car we moved left to avoid. Its embarrassingly bad.
Sometimes FSDb is really good, but dumb actions like that prevent me from using it more.
I just keep repeating the old mantra "the next version will be better - at something"
Yes, FSD can be quite aggressive and sudden about lane changes when approaching a stop at a congested intersection while it often seems glacially slow and timid about lane changes in mid-block sparse traffic. The fact that the lane changes themselves are sometime random and pointless makes it all the more aggravating.

As other aspects of FSD have matured, big improvements in the lane change planning and execution really need to get more attention now.

Last edited:
The lane issues are awful. It should be planing at least one turn ahead. If it makes a left, and the next turn, say a mile down the road is a right, it should get into the far right lane AHEAD of time for that turn. Not at the last second having to cross two lanes of traffic to get into the correct turn lane. This is for four/six lane roads with turn lanes obviously, but you get the idea. If I manually drive, and know the route, I always get into the closest lane to where I’m going to be turning to avoid having to merge at the last moment. It’s common sense.

Time will tell if FSDb ever has capacity for real anticipation minus using a map. FSDb is mostly reactionary and needs to be knee-deep in a no-surprise video screened scenario before having a chance of making a correct decision which limits more advanced human anticipatory or 'common sense' responses. Said another way FSDb seems to have its hands full just dealing with the mid to near field scenery. Unless the team has a few significant breakthroughs, FSDb will check the box as a driver convenience with intrinsic occasional episodes of driving like a tourist and/or absented-minded distracted driver.

Last edited:
2022 Winner 🏆 🥇 of most deserving to be blocked on Tmc ⬆️

My favorite block of all time hands down.... even better than 21069 guy or whatever his name is who doesn't own a Tesla and trolls around here

Edit: Ignore I know is the proper term, block 🚫 feels better ...

Ignore it is... Self-professed liars belong on the ignore list.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 11.06.51 AM.png

Yes, FSD can be quite aggressive and sudden about lane changes when approaching a stop at a congested intersection while it often seems glacially slow and timid about lane changes in mid-block sparse traffic. The fact that the lane changes themselves are sometime random and pointless makes it all the more aggravating.
I am having a different but similar problem with FSDb in the last few versions. Coming off a 4-lane highway with center median and 45 mph, it has to get into a left turning lane and turn into my neighborhood. After the turn, there is a narrow approach to a gate about 60 feet from the entrance. The car slows quite a bit and is hesitant to get into the left turning lane. It is also very cautious making the left turn across oncoming traffic. However, once the turn is made into the neighborhood, the car VERY AGGRESSIVELY accelerates to 35 mph (don't know where it gets that number) straight towards the gate and shows no sign of stopping - like it doesn't even see the heavy, black iron gate in front of it. It's quite scary and has resulted in several squealing tires to stop it from ramming the gate (because I wanted to see if it would detect it).

I can stop the car then reengage FSDb and it won't proceed until the gate is open. But coming in at full speed (35 mph vs. the appropriate 12-15 mph) it shows no sign of stopping. Quite maddening and results in every drive ending in a disengagement before reaching the house.

General consensus from what I have seen posted here is that FSD doesn't behave any differently whether chill mode is enabled or not. For many owners It would be great if FSD did support this feature but I believe we'll have to wait for a future update.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
General consensus from what I have seen posted here is that FSD doesn't behave any differently whether chill mode is enabled or not. For many owners It would be great if FSD did support this feature but I believe we'll have to wait for a future update.
Sorry, not talking about the chill mode for acceleration, I meant the FSDb Profile which is Chill/Average/Assertive. There is a definite difference between them, although it's been a while for me trying Assertive.

Reactions: pilotSteve
As an observer I am impressed to see the continuous progress to date. Yes there are still many fine tuning elements needed and the debating over L2, L3, L9 will never end but seeing the Majority of complaints focused on lane changes (they do need work) vs it tried to kill me from a year ago I personally am very impressed by the progress. Does deflate the few random rando “it doesn’t work at all” trolls and their credibility. As I travel for work on average 800-1000 miles per week this has been an amazing technology to minimize the hassle. Can’t wait to see the continued progress over the coming year.

As an observer I am impressed to see the continuous progress to date. Yes there are still many fine tuning elements needed and the debating over L2, L3, L9 will never end but seeing the Majority of complaints focused on lane changes (they do need work) vs it tried to kill me from a year ago I personally am very impressed by the progress. Does deflate the few random rando “it doesn’t work at all” trolls and their credibility. As I travel for work on average 800-1000 miles per week this has been an amazing technology to minimize the hassle. Can’t wait to see the continued progress over the coming year.
I think FSD is already amazing, but I see where the haters are coming from. FSD might be at the 90% mark at this point, I’d guess. It works well enough in ideal conditions (mapped roads with clear lane markings and nothing out of the ordinary including the weather). It still has some jerky maneuvering, and it’s horrible at expressing intent (either to the driver or to other cars on the road).

Literally just yesterday, my car wanted to swerve to the left into an 18-wheeler. I’m still not sure what spooked it. If someone wants to call it “not working at all” because of something like that, it makes sense to me. They don’t want to be hyper vigilant at all times at the risk of life and property.

A month or two ago, a phantom braking event was bad enough that it hurt my son due to how much pressure the seat belt put on him. Again, IMO it makes sense to say it’s not usable due to something like that. For me, I’ll play the odds.

I’m fine accepting that risk. I see 90% as much better than 0%. To me, it’s amazing—not 99.9999% amazing, but still amazing.

Attachments

• D5C62883-F0ED-4197-B11F-07149C5B7835.jpeg
    D5C62883-F0ED-4197-B11F-07149C5B7835.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 65
Literally just yesterday, my car wanted to swerve to the left into an 18-wheeler. I’m still not sure what spooked it. If someone wants to call it “not working at all” because of something like that, it makes sense to me. They don’t want to be hyper vigilant at all times at the risk of life and property.
It's also the people who aren't hyper vigilant, of which there are loads of them on TMC. Mostly the <10 post people who log in to say "OMG is this how it's supposed to work". Or, presumably the others who just got FSD Beta, haven't read TMC, and don't ever find TMC, but still drive FSD Beta and don't realize that it requires hyper vigilance.

Somehow the disclaimer wasn't enough. I still think they should at least log in to Tesla.com and watch a series of training videos first. It would be very easy for Tesla to do that. Also you should have to verify that "I am the person who got the Safety Score" when you start driving each time. Otherwise it's meaningless. I mean, it's still meaningless really but at least you are forced to SAY that each time, it might somewhat encourage people not to let their friends/family drive it. Perhaps there could be a Safety Score for all "registered drivers" so only those who pass can use Beta?

Wow, so they were lying. I thought they were being sarcastic ...
I doubt they’ve ever even used the beta. Weren’t they claiming 10 second stops at a stop sign with no traffic as well? Just absurd.

Like others have said there are plenty of legitimate complaints no reason to make up fake ones.

I’ve got one section of road that cracked at one point and they repaired it with tar so there’s little diagonal repairs across the road - not a super uncommon thing. It freaks out fsd every single time and it will slam on the brakes from 50mph down to around 15 before accelerating back up to speed a few seconds later. So would love to see stuff like that fixed - I disengage now at that spot unless nobody is behind me so that I don’t get rear ended.

First nighttime drive 69.2.4. Signal still to late, starts when slowing starts. Auto dim highbeams turn off too late for oncoming traffic. Still does not slow down nearly fast enough for lower speed limit. Still driving over midline on road with no center line. So no change there.

Near perfect slight slowing for truck crossing from right side driveway into opposite lane—usually that response is abrupt with aggressive braking.

“Keep hands on yoke” is either a sick joke or training guidance from Mr Myagi. If I try to hold on I just get bounced out of FSDb for applying to much resistance or get my hand slapped.

Last edited: