Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won’t be added, it already exists.

Yeah it is not insanity, since they already have the toggles! They don’t even need to add them.

Yes.

There are two products, NOA and FSDb (which just adds Autosteer on City Streets and Traffic Light Stop sign stuff which will probably be subsumed).

NOA is not going to change significantly. It is just going to run on the same stack. No reason for it to change.

Just like before, you can in theory have it drive on the freeway and everywhere else with no intervention.

Whether they’ll add control on surface streets to prevent lane changes is another issue. Seems much less useful and likely to cause problems for routing so I doubt it. A lot more required lane movement on City Streets, unlike the mostly optional lane changes on the freeway.
You can prevent lane changes with FSDb by hitting the turn stalk to cancel. Sometimes you need to be pretty quick, though.

Yes, I think people are overthinking this. Nothing is changing on functionality. Everything is going to work the same, it's just going to use all the cameras, the new NNs, and the new occupancy network, likely with the new visualizations.

AP will still just be TACC with lane keeping.
EAP will still have the same features.
FSD Beta will still be Autosteer on City Streets

You'll still be able to control NoA settings as before, including lane change settings.

Yes, I think people are overthinking this. Nothing is changing on functionality. Everything is going to work the same, it's just going to use all the cameras, the new NNs, and the new occupancy network, likely with the new visualizations.

You'll still be able to control NoA settings as before, including lane change settings.
I wished we could have had an updated cruise control on city streets throughout the current beta, it would have made the dumb lane change disengagements disappear for me because I'd prefer to do it myself until beta gets smarter.

, it would have made the dumb lane change disengagements disappear for me because I'd prefer to do it myself until beta gets smarter.
You can; I do this quite frequently. Makes me look like an idiot, but if I am fast the blinkers don’t go on too much, I try to keep it to one blink.

High maintenance though.

That seems to conflict with what the release notes say. They appear to indicate there will be NO segregation between on or off highway driving. You turn on the Beta and you are on Beta and all is the SAME "unified" no matter where the car is driving. While only time will tell I just see Tesla continuing in their Apple type "knowing what is best" and removing everything that is not related to the actual Full Self Driving Beta.

"This unifies the vision and planning stack on and off-highway and replaces the legacy highway stack"

Last edited:
To some extent I compare it to riding a Lyft than driving myself. If someone else is doing the driving you have to accept that it may not be how you would drive as long as it’s safe. It’s very possible that they may add adjustments in the future for driving style or even automatic regional adjustments; I view that more as ’bells and whistles.’ Let’s get solid functionality first, then we can work on adjustments.
uh oh! If they do regional adjustments I'm from Massachusetts so we'd definitely be an outlier which couldn't be good for me :)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I wished we could have had an updated cruise control on city streets throughout the current beta, it would have made the dumb lane change disengagements disappear for me because I'd prefer to do it myself until beta gets smarter.
I know a lot of people would like varying degrees of cruise control including dumb cruise control, but I understand why Tesla is hesitant to provide that.

If we had dumb cruise control, the first person to forget they’re not in TACC and plow into another car would seal the feature’s fate, especially if someone dies as a result.

If we had dumb cruise control, the first person to forget they’re not in TACC and plow into another car would seal the feature’s fate, especially if someone dies as a result.

There are lots of other vehicles with adaptive cruise control that also have dumb cruise control. I haven't seen any story about crashes due to mode confusion.

The two cars with ACC I've driven default to adaptive and then allow additional switching to selection of dumb, so selecting dumb cruise is an active action. The display indicator also differs in ACC and dumb modes.

They simply prefer not to include it for some reason. It's one of the hard stops on my buying a Tesla, because I want cruise that I know will always work well and isn't subject to sensor problems.

Reactions: Jeff N
There are lots of other vehicles with adaptive cruise control that also have dumb cruise control. I haven't seen any story about crashes due to mode confusion.
True. However, there are also around 175k gasoline vehicle fires per year in the US alone, and how often do you see stories in the news about that? The last one I saw only made the news because it was near a Tesla Supercharger.

As soon as a Tesla did it, it would make news.

Teslas are already complicated enough - there are people who don't know how to enable NoA, and complain when their car has a destination, and it's just driving straight and not changing lanes or exiting the freeway when it's supposed to. We've got TACC and AP, with icons that are grey when off, light up blue with a speed showing TACC is enabled, and a blue steering wheel when AP is enabled. What icon would appear with dumb cruise control? And what about people that want dumb cruise control, but also want autosteer? So now we have 4 modes - DCC, TACC, DCC w/Autosteer, and AP (which is TACC w/Autosteer). And can the car use automatic lane change while in DCC w/Autosteer?

Reactions: uscbucsfan

The two cars with ACC I've driven default to adaptive and then allow additional switching to selection of dumb, so selecting dumb cruise is an active action. The display indicator also differs in ACC and dumb modes.

They simply prefer not to include it for some reason. It's one of the hard stops on my buying a Tesla, because I want cruise that I know will always work well and isn't subject to sensor problems.
What benefit would it provide Tesla to include a "dumb cruise control"? It's less safe as it doesn't adjust for traffic and opens up more potential accidents. As someone else said above, people are already confused and think they are in FSD with just AP or think they are in AP with just TACC, including an additional option for a minority doesn't make sense.

Also, many higher end new vehicles are going away from "dumb cruise control" where TACC is the baseline option for these reasons. I can't see any incentive for Tesla to take a step back, especially when it introduces additional chances for accidents.

What benefit would it provide Tesla to include a "dumb cruise control"? It's less safe as it doesn't adjust for traffic and opens up more potential accidents. As someone else said above, people are already confused and think they are in FSD with just AP or think they are in AP with just TACC, including an additional option for a minority doesn't make sense.

Also, many higher end new vehicles are going away from "dumb cruise control" where TACC is the baseline option for these reasons. I can't see any incentive for Tesla to take a step back, especially when it introduces additional chances for accidents.
Tesla has never provided safety data for dumb cruise control (or TACC alone for that matter).