Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we are supposed to make our reports on Twitter now? (Another $8 per month if we want to be believed?)

Or maybe it 10.69.3.1 is so amazing that no one is reporting any problems, according to the Tesla PR team.

Or maybe Dojo is full, no more room for training videos.

Or maybe the testing part of FSD beta is over, and we are now in the final, never ending "beta" phase.

I'm not event going to joke that it might be a bug. Actually, since the release note say it is there, it is a bug, sigh.

I am having trouble coming up with a hopeful explanation.

SW
Elon has infinite money, Dojo probably has zettabytes of storage 😂

I’m so used to reaching for the button it’s gonna take a while to adjust. So many things aren’t going to get reported that I wouldn’t instinctively hit the brake or take over the steering wheel for.

But continues to boggle my mind that they might go wide in the next month or two; various changes suggest that is coming, as Elon has stated. Makes no sense! It’s so much better than it was, but it is still so bad, as evidenced by the slew of comments above. I have no idea why they would provide this to everyone. And we haven’t even seen the highway regressions yet!

Just seems hard to believe they won’t persist with an optional parallel code branch that anyone can request.

I think it is because Elon wants it. He is impatient for Tesla to deploy FSD wide. Part of it might be so Tesla can use all that FSD money. Part of it might just be so that he can claim success because he wants to be able to say " I was right. I promised every Tesla was capable of FSD. And now every Tesla car has FSD! I did it!". Part of it might also be that he does not like that Waymo and Cruise are stealing the spotlight with their driverless rides. Lastly, as I mentionned before, it won't be that many years before L4 comes to personal cars. Mobileye (and I think GM too) is promising L4 on personal cars by 2025. If they succeed then that means Tesla only has 3 years to achieve L4 on Tesla vehicles. Elon must realize this. That is why he is pressuring the team to "solve FSD" so fast. Elon's big bet was that Tesla could beat everyone to L4 on personal cars by foregoing radar and lidar, skipping HD mapping and just "solve FSD" with existing cameras on millions of Teslas. But that bet only works if Tesla can actually solve L4 before others.

10.69.3.1 still unnecessarily cleans the windshield often. Is this bug ever going to be fixed? It always cleans the windshield after a car wash when I’m stopped at a red light behind another car - no reason to clean the windshield and mess up my wash. I’ve gone through so much washer fluid since being in the beta.

I’ve also had FSDb attempt to run a red light after a truck was turning left from the right side of an intersection.

I think it is because Elon wants it.
I keep looking at social media and folks are raving about how amazing it is. Going by that, Elon is seeing only encouragement to release it sooner rather than later. Are these people who drive like lunatics and see a kindred spirit in FSD? Have they just reported problems on their few routes so early and so often that their drives are well-represented in the training data? Is there some kind of variance in camera installation that causes some percentage of cars to provide sub-par behavior? I actually did a camera recalibration recently to see if it would make any difference. I didn't notice any.

I think it is because Elon wants it. He is impatient for Tesla to deploy FSD wide. Part of it might be so Tesla can use all that FSD money. Part of it might just be so that he can claim success because he wants to be able to say " I was right. I promised every Tesla was capable of FSD. And now every Tesla car has FSD! I did it!". Part of it might also be that he does not like that Waymo and Cruise are stealing the spotlight with their driverless rides. Lastly, as I mentionned before, it won't be that many years before L4 comes to personal cars. Mobileye (and I think GM too) is promising L4 on personal cars by 2025. If they succeed then that means Tesla only has 3 years to achieve L4 on Tesla vehicles. Elon must realize this. That is why he is pressuring the team to "solve FSD" so fast. Elon's big bet was that Tesla could beat everyone to L4 on personal cars by foregoing radar and lidar, skipping HD mapping and just "solve FSD" with existing cameras on millions of Teslas. But that bet only works if Tesla can actually solve L4 before others.
I can guarantee (yes, guarantee) L4 does not get holistically solved on this hardware except maybe if you live in California, and even then. In Seattle, it's a joke, almost worthless for about half the year, - just because of something as basic as... rain.

Are these people who drive like lunatics and see a kindred spirit in FSD? Have they just reported problems on their few routes so early and so often that their drives are well-represented in the training data? Is there some kind of variance in camera installation that causes some percentage of cars to provide sub-par behavior?

It’s truly mysterious. Clearly they are not having superb experiences (there is not a single video in the public domain showing an acceptable performance with 10.69.x, and there are a LOT of videos). So I guess they are just dealing with cognitive dissonance somehow. I’m not sure why there has to be cognitive dissonance, since there are easier solutions, but such is life.

It’s ok. It will work itself out.

At least FSD is a lot better than a year ago! So hopefully we will continue to see it improve. Has to be a lot better though. Many years at this rate.

This seems hopeful!

Anyway as mentioned plenty of data still goes to Tesla. There’s really no need for a button. And probably their simulations are now top notch.

But continues to boggle my mind that they might go wide in the next month or two; various changes suggest that is coming, as Elon has stated. Makes no sense! It’s so much better than it was, but it is still so bad, as evidenced by the slew of comments above. I have no idea why they would provide this to everyone. And we haven’t even seen the highway regressions yet!

Just seems hard to believe they won’t persist with an optional parallel code branch that anyone can request.
I suspect Tesla will still go wide but for the foreseeable future FSD will still be considered beta. Tesla's development team I'm sure is biased driving in areas where FSD works much better than much of the country. And without the rain Seattle has:)

10.69.3.1 still unnecessarily cleans the windshield often. Is this bug ever going to be fixed? It always cleans the windshield after a car wash when I’m stopped at a red light behind another car - no reason to clean the windshield and mess up my wash. I’ve gone through so much washer fluid since being in the beta.

I’ve also had FSDb attempt to run a red light after a truck was turning left from the right side of an intersection.
And I thought I was the only one with the windshield problem you described 😏

Took the new version out this morning (after taking nearly 24 hrs to install) and it was dare I say near amazing. Not perfect. But the best build so far, and the most improved over over a previous build to be sure.

Second drive later in the day wasn't "quite" as good; but different route and challenges.

It's a lot more confident and a lot more aggressive. As some have said maybe too much for some as others have stated. It's a "little" too much for me but I'll take it.

It actually drives like someone who's had their license a little while instead of a brand new driver. MUCH improved.

Still fails in areas where other builds did as well; but handles it much better.

I can live with this version for a while instead of wanting the next one the same day I get it - like prior builds.

Reactions: powertoold
It’s truly mysterious. Clearly they are not having superb experiences (there is not a single video in the public domain showing an acceptable performance with 10.69.x, and there are a LOT of videos). So I guess they are just dealing with cognitive dissonance somehow. I’m not sure why there has to be cognitive dissonance, since there are easier solutions, but such is life.

It’s ok. It will work itself out.

At least FSD is a lot better than a year ago! So hopefully we will continue to see it improve. Has to be a lot better though. Many years at this rate.
“Many,” being the operative word.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Looks like people overlooked the last 2 release notes for 10.69.3 since October. These aren't new in 10.69.3.1 but doesn't seem like anybody has listed them anywhere for 10.69.3 yet:
  • Introduced foundational support for model-parallel neural network inference by sharing intermediate tensors across SOCs to improve road edge and road line prediction consistency through changes to TRIP compiler, inference runtime, and inter-processor communication layer.
  • Improved handling of traffic control behavior in dense intersection areas by improving the association logic between traffic lights and intersections.
10.69.3.1 last notes.jpg

Seems like these are remotely loaded as earlier they were showing 10.69.2 notes for some people. Also odd that "Video Record" message is still there when the button is gone.

Last edited:
You've obviously never driven with FSDb before - Notes from beta spell it out for you "car could do the wrong thing at the worst time"
I've been driving with FSDb for over a year and wouldn't trust it for more than 50 yards without my hands on the wheel.
This isn't like Autopilot - FSD Beta is whole new level of scary.
So drive it first, then decide.
Just be aware, at best it's a learner driver with two weeks experience and a scared, nagging parent in the passenger seat. :cool:
I appreciate the well laid out answer. I think others here equate the idea of a weight with non attentiveness or not keeping hands on the wheel. I personally think that the requisite forced needed to let the car know that you have you hands on the wheel is excessive.......Ive tugged on the wheel a few times too hard and its knocked me out of AP. Elon mentioned that there will no need to touch the controls with V11, so hopefully its a moot point, and all awareness recognition post V11 will be optical.

Reactions: Andy O
FSD 3.1 just did something that surprised me... it noticed that a Volvo in the fast lane just ahead of me (one lane to my left) was about to run out of braking space as there was a line of cars stopped ahead in its lane. The Volvo hit its turning signal and my car's FSD hit the breaks, slowing our car down to make room for the car on the left to merge into our lane just in time, and then my FSD car moved right over a lane and passed him.

Also... FSD started slowing for speed bumps, and has a tendancy to drive faster than I would on neighborhood streets, as well as plays a little game of chicken, driving close to the curb but quickly moving to the center when approaching a parked car, but a little too close... as though it is confident it knows just how close it can get!

FSD 3.1 just did something that surprised me... it noticed that a Volvo in the fast lane just ahead of me (one lane to my left) was about to run out of braking space as there was a line of cars stopped ahead in its lane. The Volvo hit its turning signal and my car's FSD hit the breaks, slowing our car down to make room for the car on the left to merge into our lane just in time, and then my FSD car moved right over a lane and passed him.

Also... FSD started slowing for speed bumps, and has a tendancy to drive faster than I would on neighborhood streets, as well as plays a little game of chicken, driving close to the curb but quickly moving to the center when approaching a parked car, but a little too close... as though it is confident it knows just how close it can get!
Yeah, I’ve wet my pants with ever 10.69.3 drive so far. White knuckles too.

Yeah, I’ve wet my pants with ever 10.69.3 drive so far. White knuckles too.

Yea, makes little sense. FSD should drive conservatively but confidently, not sloppy and overly aggressive or close for no good reason. It should drive in a way that relaxes the driver, not stress them out.

2.4 was better at this. I wonder why Tesla always makes each point release so different in aggressiveness.

10.69.3.1. Night performance does seem pretty good. Auto high beams seem much improved, dare I say better than any car I’ve owned with them in the past? (All MobilEye cars, Volvo’s).

Narrower unmarked roads: basically stops for oncoming traffic, this seemed to be better on 10.69.2.4, than again, we have loads of snow on the ground, a lot of roads have gotten a lot more narrow in the last 5 days. So, who knows?

Turns seem smoother. Still swings way wide when other vehicles are present when making some turns.

Highway NoA has had some issues, speed limit changes for no reason, randomly switching to FSDb when it should be on old NoA. This is new behavior. Seems to only do it when traveling over an interchange/on/off ramp?

I LOVE SNOW, but, I’d like to see clear roads to further test 10.69.3.1. Oh, it does avoid snow piles, like if the plow left residual snow in the roads, FSDb maneuvers around the small piles. Kinda neat.