Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Can I expect V11 as the next iteration of FSD beta?

I believe the general consensus is V11 is the next release.
I mostly agree because it's allegedly on the .40 branch which would let all
The people with Fsd to get the update. Currently we are on .36 which means
People on the .40 won't get it until beta releases a .40 update.

- I'd read somewhere that Elon mentioned that V11 doesnt require users to touch the controls. Does this mean that touching the wheel wont be necessary?

Geez, I think most of us hope so. I did read a couple of weeks ago that an internal tester was using V11 with no nags, but I can't remember where I read it.
I do think with their most recent crackdowns on wheel weights and other cheat devices that it will be while before the nags stop.
Thank you

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Honestly, I can’t imagine they ever reviewed anything we sent them. Maybe select clips that people followed up on with emails.
Maybe yes, maybe no but I have a use case that leads me to believe Tesla may have looked at several emails I sent them on this turn.
FSD could never make a right hand turn into my neighborhood. When you see the picture you'll understand why. Yes, the trees are illegally planted but it is what it is. Recently all my navigation routes now exclude using this road for a right hand turn. . Coincidence maybe.

Attachments

• Hemlock Trees Obscuring Turn.jpg
    Hemlock Trees Obscuring Turn.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 65
Sorry what’s the context for this? Pretty sure no one is expecting V11 to be hands free. Might have to read the sub-context under Elon’s overly-optimistic sales pitches.
I believe I read an earlier quote from Elon saying V11 would allow you to have your Tesla drive you from your home to your destination parking lot without ever touching the steering wheel. We all assumed that was irrationally exuberant, as is often the case. I could be mistaken, though...

I believe I read an earlier quote from Elon saying V11 would allow you to have your Tesla drive you from your home to your destination parking lot without ever touching the steering wheel. We all assumed that was irrationally exuberant, as is often the case. I could be mistaken, though...
We can start here: from 2022

“"The car will be able to take you from your home to your work, your friend's house, to the grocery store without you touching the wheel.” (c)ElonMusk

“And then there is a longer process called the march of 9s, which is how many 9s reliability do you need before you could really be comfortable saying that the car could drive with no one in it? And there’s some subjectivity as to how many 9s you need. But I think we’ll be pretty close to having enough 9s that you’re going to have no one in the car by the end of this year. And certainly, without a question, that’s in my mind next year.” (c)Elon Musk

I would assume that Tesla can task cars to report when they encounter specific situations. Say specific intersections,
But how would they know to look at a particular intersection?

Let me give an example. The street leaving out neighborhood goes down a hill, with a stop sign at the bottom. Driving manually, regen is enough to slow and stop the car at the sign. About maybe 30 yards before the stop, the street levels out as it goes through an intersection with a side street. From before that side street, the stop sign is visible, so one can start to slow down, no problem. FSD does not slow down. It continues across the level spot at the speed limit, and when street starts down hill, the stop sign and intersection become completely visible. The car slams on the breaks and slows to 12 mpg about 15 yards from the sign, and creeps the whole way.

I reported it a few time, back when there was a button, also noted the time and emailed a description.

Well, 10.69.3.1 still does it. The hard breaking is completely unnecessary and tossed around anything not bolted down inside the car. This completely destroy's any confidence a passenger (like my wife) might have in FSD. So, I simply don't engage FSD. Tesla will get no info about this issue, because there are no longer any interventions or disengagements. To their stats, it looks like the problem is solved.

Anyway, I think Tesla should provide some way for customers to report problems, be they FSD or uncomfortable seats or anything. FSD is a special case, because what it learned from Chucks ULT has been replicated to 160,000 cars in the field. Customer feedback is golden.

SW

Definitely going to be interesting to see if they go wide, maybe with V11 or maybe a follow up of 69.3…depends on highway performance of FSD stack I guess whether V11 keeps getting pushed.

Would be quite a milestone!
Irrespective whether it will be V11 (I’m sure Elon would like it to be) or not … I think Tesla would like to get everyone the holiday release. They did it last year.

That means FSDb and others will be on the same main branch. This would allow everyone to ask for FSDb and get it. Or they will just make it a flag … like NOA. But with 69.3 they have decided it’s good enough for wide release.

At first he said "without the need to touch the wheel".......his next statement was "without the need to touch the controls".......either semantics or he is playing word games.
He is not playing … he is just inaccurate and speaking off the cuff as always. Not like other CEOs who just give rehearsed, scripted, researched, PR / legal approved answers.

I think 69.3 was sent "wide" to prepare for "real wide" V11. The marginal risk is actually very small. Atleast on Teslafi 84% of FSD cars coming from 69.2. Just 16% are new. Outside of Teslafi the ratio may be somewhat different - but I guess no more than 25% are new.

Anyway - "wide" release was always a question of "how much of risk is Tesla willing to take". I'm 100% sure, with this kind of quality FSDb would not have been released to hundreds of thousands of cars by any legacy OEM.
It is not how many cars get it rather how many miles are driven with FSDb. If that's the numerator and if the numerator is small it may not add much significance. In addition, it could also depend on the drive such as city or suburban drive miles.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
OK, so this didn't go the way that I intended it to, so I will apologize for perhaps coming in too emotional and too hot. Instead, I will recalibrate my thoughts as follows (to be more facilitative of discussion and less personal back and forth over irrelevant nits):
  1. FSD doesn't meet my expectations based on the comments that I see in terms of being close to being fully autonomous
  2. Since I've been in the beta program, my car has consistently failed to navigate 100% of left and right handed turns from stop signs and traffic lights
  3. I do not believe these issues are ML related, but policy driving related since policy (as I understand it) is legacy code written directly by the software engineering team
  4. There appears to be a gap between the most positive experiences described and the most negative experiences described that I cannot fully account for (is it a software issue or a hardware issue)
Unfortunately, since Tesla lacks a communication department and is fully non-responsive to questions that might be considered generic inquiries, I do not know of any reasonable way to schedule a diagnostic that would result in anything other than the beta is a beta and is behaving as expected for my particular use case (which is currently not at all useful except for limited highway scenarios).

I am glad that some people are having positive experiences. But unfortunately this does not change my own situation where I have no choice but to continue waiting to see if each subsequent version that I have access to changes anything for me.

Hopefully we can discuss things a bit more civilly going forward. I will try my best to do my part. Once again, I apologize for getting out of hand.

Customer feedback is golden.

SW
They clearly are using customer feedback a lot. The key question is whether the incidents tagged by people pushing that button add value to their improvement competitively with incidents identified in other ways.

I think a key problem is that the customer button push stream has been heavily diluted in value by people who endlessly push it for the self-same turn, or for situations otherwise adding little value. We have people on this forum who proudly describe themselves as using it in a way I think has greatly lowered the value of the genuinely distinctive situations some here submit.

Look in the mirror. The problem is us.

Reactions: Phlier
But how would they know to look at a particular intersection?

Let me give an example. The street leaving out neighborhood goes down a hill, with a stop sign at the bottom. Driving manually, regen is enough to slow and stop the car at the sign. About maybe 30 yards before the stop, the street levels out as it goes through an intersection with a side street. From before that side street, the stop sign is visible, so one can start to slow down, no problem. FSD does not slow down. It continues across the level spot at the speed limit, and when street starts down hill, the stop sign and intersection become completely visible. The car slams on the breaks and slows to 12 mpg about 15 yards from the sign, and creeps the whole way.

I reported it a few time, back when there was a button, also noted the time and emailed a description.

Well, 10.69.3.1 still does it. The hard breaking is completely unnecessary and tossed around anything not bolted down inside the car. This completely destroy's any confidence a passenger (like my wife) might have in FSD. So, I simply don't engage FSD. Tesla will get no info about this issue, because there are no longer any interventions or disengagements. To their stats, it looks like the problem is solved.

Anyway, I think Tesla should provide some way for customers to report problems, be they FSD or uncomfortable seats or anything. FSD is a special case, because what it learned from Chucks ULT has been replicated to 160,000 cars in the field. Customer feedback is golden.

SW
So, the example you provide is one that drivers would likely intervene, even if just to apply some accelerator. The car would know that it encountered a situation where it's planning was overridden by the driver. This could result in a report sent back to Tesla.

It's possible that Tesla might not want a full report every time a driver intervenes. So, the car could record a small number of parameters (location, speed, direction, etc) every time that the driver intervenes. In truth, the car doesn't even have to be in FSDb mode, since the planner is always running. In any event, Tesla can get these reports sent to it periodically. They can then mine the database to find common locations with problems. Then, they could task cars to provide full reports when they encounter those situations.

Reactions: Dreadnought
  1. FSD doesn't meet my expectations based on the comments that I see in terms of being close to being fully autonomous
Agree, I don't think it's close (and I imagine most people would also agree with this statement). So the way I am using the beta is as beta software. Potentially full of bugs. With that I temper my expectations. When will it be "ready"? Who knows? For me it's interesting to use cutting-edge software, and to follow its development.

1. Since I've been in the beta program, my car has consistently failed to navigate 100% of left and right handed turns from stop signs and traffic light
Yes, that is not right. Have you tried to calibrate the cameras? Or clear them perhaps? Also have you tried to drive in well marked streets? I find that in unmarked streets it is way more likely to do dumb maneuvers. If the typical experience was like yours, they would not release it as is. I can't imagine they would.

Just my 2c.

Is it confirmed that 2022.40 installed Tesla will not get FSD BETA till v11.? Teslascope seems to think differently.
I'm not seeing an FSD version newer than 2022.36.20 on Teslascope. And I'm not seeing any reported cases where 2022.40 vehicles subsequently received 2022.36.20. Is there some evidence on Teslascope that I have missed?

Of course with Tesla, it is impossible to predict what might happen tomorrow.