Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's something I've seen in the few 10.69.x releases I've had. Lazy slowing for speed limit changes. By contrast, when regular old non-FSD AP sees the speed limit drop on a freeway, I get a nice burst of regen to slow to the new setting. Nothing panicky--just a reasonable slow-down, much like I would do myself. But when FSDß has the controls on non-freeways, it's a very different story. One example: There's a place where you come down OR-99 into my city and the speed limit drops from 55 to 45. The car responds very lazily. I'd describe it as coasting, very gradually letting the speed bleed off just by air resistance and rolling resistance. Then comes a further drop to 35, and it hasn't even achieved the 45 yet. It's very easy to be going too fast for the new circumstances as the car takes its time adjusting to the new speed limits.

But it's not shy about speeding up when going the other direction!

This intersection is probably the single-worst turn-signal confusion moment on my regular drives. It puts on the right turn signal while waiting at the red light (pictured here in yellow) for a turn at the next intersection (pictured here in green) way down the road. So people actually turning right become very hesitant to creep past me and turn. And manually turning the turn signal off doesn't help either, because that causes FSDb to want to turn left instead.

View attachment 884056

FSDb is rough in complex or busy intersections. Not wanting to be that guy on the road I disable it before I get in the mix. Hopefully a future release adds sanity. On the bright side now that Lawrence Livermore Labs has a possible fusion solution maybe they can help solve FSDb. :)

Here's something I've seen in the few 10.69.x releases I've had. Lazy slowing for speed limit changes. By contrast, when regular old non-FSD AP sees the speed limit drop on a freeway, I get a nice burst of regen to slow to the new setting. Nothing panicky--just a reasonable slow-down, much like I would do myself. But when FSDß has the controls on non-freeways, it's a very different story. One example: There's a place where you come down OR-99 into my city and the speed limit drops from 55 to 45. The car responds very lazily. I'd describe it as coasting, very gradually letting the speed bleed off just by air resistance and rolling resistance. Then comes a further drop to 35, and it hasn't even achieved the 45 yet. It's very easy to be going too fast for the new circumstances as the car takes its time adjusting to the new speed limits.

But it's not shy about speeding up when going the other direction!
This has been discussed many times and has always been an issue with beta, not just the 69 builds. I think they do it because they know a lot of the speed limit map data is wrong and so they don’t want to startle the driver every time an incorrect speed limit is reported to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
The car responds very lazily. I'd describe it as coasting, very gradually letting the speed bleed off just by air resistance and rolling resistance.
I think instead of relying on "mother nature" to bleed off the speed it actively works to get a preset deceleration profile in this circumstance. If you are on a moderate upgrade when you go by the speed limit change, try watching the power bar. You'll actually see it spending acceleration power to avoid having the uphill incline cause a deceleration more quickly than the target. Not only no green at all, but black on the right side of the center neutral point.

Quibbling about that detail aside, I strongly agree that the excessively weak deceleration for lower speed commands (whether by limit or scroll wheel) is a major FSDb flaw.

FYI for those that own Tesla stock or are looking for more knowledge on it, there is a great forum below (just a link to a recent post) that
discusses almost anything Tesla related including FSD, future Tesla tech and such. Check it out if you are interested.
I think it is the #1 or #2 most heavily used forum on TMC. I know a few users on this thread already use it, so to those that don't
and are interested take a look.

@EVNow give Ryan his phone back.

The more I drive FSDb (10.69.3), the more I'm discovering that (for me) the biggest problems I'm seeing have to do with the Planning NN.

The actual Occupancy Network and physical driving of the car, while not perfect by any means, is fairly acceptable at this point (and will likely improve over time). The steering seems pretty good, only occasionally jittery. I find myself pushing on the accelerator a fair amount to coax my car into proceeding when it's hesitant, and it does occasionally take off like a bat out of hell after a turn unexpectedly. I don't care for how fast it approaches a line of stopped cars, but I have nearly 100% confidence that it will stop in time (just not as smoothly as I would do it on my own).

But my car makes so many planning blunders that are very hard to overcome! I know this is happening for everyone - where the car will be in the wrong lane for an upcoming turn, or will actually switch lanes into an inappropriate one right before a turn.

I do still enjoy testing out FSDb, and I now know pretty well when I will need to take over for the car, but I really hope Tesla is putting plenty of programming resources into the mid-term planning function, as I think improving that will go a LONG way towards making drives more enjoyable.

This has been discussed many times and has always been an issue with beta, not just the 69 builds. I think they do it because they know a lot of the speed limit map data is wrong and so they don’t want to startle the driver every time an incorrect speed limit is reported to the car.
That doesn’t make sense - If they’re worried about the speed limit data being wrong, why is the acceleration more appropriate when the car speeds up and why does the car slow more appropriately on TACC vs FSD? I think it’s simply a bug in the FSD code they haven’t bothered to fix.

I think instead of relying on "mother nature" to bleed off the speed it actively works to get a preset deceleration profile in this circumstance. If you are on a moderate upgrade when you go by the speed limit change, try watching the power bar. You'll actually see it spending acceleration power to avoid having the uphill incline cause a deceleration more quickly than the target. Not only no green at all, but black on the right side of the center neutral point.

Quibbling about that detail aside, I strongly agree that the excessively weak deceleration for lower speed commands (whether by limit or scroll wheel) is a major FSDb flaw.
agreed - clearly a flaw, and a potential risk for speeding tickets since cops love to stop people at places like these where the speed limit drops.

Last edited:
I am sick of the left blinker coming on 500 ft from when it switches to the right blinker for my upcoming right turn. What do people behind us think???
Yup, my car has been playing with the turn signals like a baby with a rattle since around last February or so. What's weird is that until fairly recently, no one else was really complaining about this behavior, now it seems like a lot more people are posting about it.

Last edited:
Yup, my car has been playing with the turn signals like a baby with a rattle since around last February or so. What's weird is that until fairly recently, no one else was really complaining about this behavior, now it seems like a lot more people are posting about it.
I also think it’s worse in 10.69.3. It’ll throw on the turn signals randomly down a straight road pretty often

So what you're saying is it would be like if we swapped cars ?
If we swapped cars, you’d just feel like someone switched it from Plaid to Sport modes. This car is pretty ass comparing to the refresh. Awfully slow, interior design isn’t comfortable or ergonomic, and is lacking many options the refresh has. In a way, it’s great to see such advancement in just 4 years. Most of other manufacturers just keep stamping out the same cars and changing the year on the model.

If we swapped cars, you’d just feel like someone switched it from Plaid to Sport modes. This car is pretty ass comparing to the refresh. Awfully slow, interior design isn’t comfortable or ergonomic, and is lacking many options the refresh has. In a way, it’s great to see such advancement in just 4 years. Most of other manufacturers just keep stamping out the same cars and changing the year on the model.
I thought you meant you liked the car‘s pretty ass!

I don’t cheat on Ryan
IckySardonicArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

Having used beta for about a month now, the driving has been decent but my biggest issue has been the navigation. It's updating mid-drive without confirmation, making turns it shouldn't and adding a significant amount of times to my drive. Most of the time that's due to it avoiding (legal) u-turns without informing me, but it's frustrating.

Other issues are leaf piles (it hates them and will slam on the brakes if it sees one) and speed bumps, which it'll use to try and catch air.