Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time using FSD Beta. It does not seem to take into account snow on the road or the conditions of the road. It lost control taking a right turn into a residential street too fast and then freaked out and told me to take control lol. I tried it again coming home to a different residential street and it did the same flinging the car in slippery conditions.

First time using FSD Beta. It does not seem to take into account snow on the road or the conditions of the road. It lost control taking a right turn into a residential street too fast and then freaked out and told me to take control lol. I tried it again coming home to a different residential street and it did the same flinging the car in slippery conditions.

Did you try to lower your max speed to match the conditions?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Yes, to each…

Location seems to make a difference as well. SoCal vs other. Insee you’re in SoCal, so I’m not surprised your experience is more positive.
I see you are responding to TesLA, but just to say my experience is more like his. To me it is not a parlor trick. I travel all over the USA and I don't see any difference in how it responds due to location. I guess there are other factors where some people have positive experiences and some don't :) Oh and to add, of course it needs more work, but sure makes my trips more comfortable.

I made a post about it a while back but bottom line is don’t use FSD in the snow. It’s not designed for that and can’t handle it. You’ll end up in an accident.

I made a post about it a while back but bottom line is don’t use FSD in the snow. It’s not designed for that and can’t handle it. You’ll end up in an accident.
Seconding everything @sleepydoc said. Tesla REALLY needs to provide more guidance on what FSD is capable of before going wide. Having been in the beta since 10.2, I can't even fathom turning it on in snow & ice-covered roads. That's basically a death wish lol.

Seconding everything @sleepydoc said. Tesla REALLY needs to provide more guidance on what FSD is capable of before going wide. Having been in the beta since 10.2, I can't even fathom turning it on in snow & ice-covered roads. That's basically a death wish lol.
Amen to all this. I don't use FSD in snow. For that matter, I don't drive in the snow either as I probably can't do any better than the car. And yes, it would be great to have some detailed information on what it is capable of doing. The only in-depth info I get is when asking questions while visiting the GF.

I don’t know. You never use cruise control on snow or ice unless you have a death wish. Why would anybody use Advance cruise or FSD on snow and ice? Kind of seems almost redundant to say don’t do it. People can’t be that thick. Can they? “OMG, I used FSD on a snow packed road and it went into a spin!!”

Sell your car now and buy a horse.

Edit: or if you’re in Canada, buy a skidoo

So, your car didn’t realize there was snow on the road?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Tesla should really include several disclaimers for any new beta testers including one for driving in the snow. I would never rely on FSD in the snow after trying it a couple of times on simple roads with no traffic where I could have a problem without risking other cars. Sure FSD may work a little but not in all the varied snow conditions. Just too much risk. Maybe after a winter FSD will improve. Maybe!!

Tesla should really include several disclaimers for any new beta testers including one for driving in the snow. I would never rely on FSD in the snow after trying it a couple of times on simple roads with no traffic where I could have a problem without risking other cars. Sure FSD may work a little but not in all the varied snow conditions. Just too much risk. Maybe after a winter FSD will improve. Maybe!!
I agree. They should also have a disclaimer telling people not to drive drunk or stoned too.

Really?

Tesla recommends that you use extra caution using AP or FSD in snow and ice conditions. You may have to take over at anytime because AP and FSD will do the wrong thing at the worst possible time.

From the owner’s manual:
Warning
Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions.
I didn’t bother to look further for autopilot and FSD but if they tell you not to use TACC then it’s pretty obvious that AP and FSD are out, too.
I agree. They should also have a disclaimer telling people not to drive drunk or stoned too.
The sad and scary part is all of those warnings that make you say “well, duh! What idiot would do that?!” Are there precisely because some idiot did that. Unfortunately our legal system turns around and rewards idiots who sue and say “they never told me I couldn’t do that!” so we’re stuck with manuals that include 500 pages of warnings and 5 pages of actual information.

Last edited:
Sure FSD may work a little but not in all the varied snow conditions. Just too much risk. Maybe after a winter FSD will improve. Maybe!!
"VARIED snow". Yes, you just reminded me, there was a time a year ago when I was coming across Colorado on the interstate and there was a sudden flurry of snow that the weather folks didn't predict. I turned on FSD as this was before the radar data was removed from the algorithms. I figured it could probably see better than me. There was no snow on the road, just blowing sideways really hard. Sure enough the radar must have seen something ahead as the car started slowing down and then a big rig appeared. Side note, maybe a case for why having additional radar is good.

I stayed behind the big rig and started driving manually until the next exit to wait out the snow. I guess my long-winded note is it reminded me that the car was able to use the radar and the cameras in a very limited visibility situation, better than I could and better than I expected. But yes again, no way I am going to trust the car to drive if any snow or ice is on the road if I get caught again like that.

Yep and it's sad something so basic is neglected. Or worse yet it's plain reckless. But that seems to be FSDb's short-cut, just ship it approach - one size fits all as the driver is responsible to sort it out.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to disable FSDb or reduce drive control parameters (jerk limits, g limits, yaw rate) when things like temps are at or below freezing (cameras visualize snow?) etc and maybe provide UI indication.

Last edited:
Don't know if an update needs "settle time" - but I just had my first no-takeover drive in a month or two. (69.25)
No interventions, not even an accelerator prod. One UPL onto a 55mph road, filter lanes, flashing yellow UPL, unmarked road and it turned into my driveway. A-maze-ing.
Of course, it slowed down to 15mph approaching a green light to make a right turn.
On the fast UPL, the wheel was spinning left then right in fury on indecision, indicator flashing left, then stopping, then left again. Then it chose an appropriate time to go and went for it impressively well.
Straight after that it quickly got up to speed, except it was toward a red light. It kept accelerating before braking hard for the light, probably because it can't anticipate what is too far away.
Most of the long corners and straights are very well done, while most of the junctions start well but have minor corrections like make it feel unsure (that teenager again)
Overall, first intervention free drive in a while, sometimes very competent, sometimes driven by that teenager on their second drive.

So, your car didn’t realize there was snow on the road?
There has been a lot of hype about FSD and I can see how someone might think it was ok to use on snow. How many people read the directions before using their new car? There does need to be some training on the use of FSD, even if just a short video, before allowing its use.

Don't know if an update needs "settle time" - but I just had my first no-takeover drive in a month or two. (69.25)
No interventions, not even an accelerator prod. One UPL onto a 55mph road, filter lanes, flashing yellow UPL, unmarked road and it turned into my driveway. A-maze-ing.
Of course, it slowed down to 15mph approaching a green light to make a right turn.
On the fast UPL, the wheel was spinning left then right in fury on indecision, indicator flashing left, then stopping, then left again. Then it chose an appropriate time to go and went for it impressively well.
Straight after that it quickly got up to speed, except it was toward a red light. It kept accelerating before braking hard for the light, probably because it can't anticipate what is too far away.
Most of the long corners and straights are very well done, while most of the junctions start well but have minor corrections like make it feel unsure (that teenager again)
Overall, first intervention free drive in a while, sometimes very competent, sometimes driven by that teenager on their second drive.
The excessive inconsistency from drive to drive makes all drives a white knuckle experience. You just never when it’s going to go nuts.

Amen to all this. I don't use FSD in snow. For that matter, I don't drive in the snow either as I probably can't do any better than the car. And yes, it would be great to have some detailed information on what it is capable of doing. The only in-depth info I get is when asking questions while visiting the GF.
I only use fsd in the snow. If it can't handle snow, what good is it?
As soon as they clear the streets I go back to manual driving.

/s