Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess order of priority without the number ranking would be

Lane selection seems like a non issue as I just tell it what lane I want to be in. Annoying and can fail sometimes but a non issue since you can always prevent it.

Similarly pressing the accelerator is not that big a deal (even less of an issue really; no one has to know about it).

The stop sign thing is like an 8. It’s related to the stopping issues and is a major usability issue.

improper lane selection would be my 10. Esp if you count all the phantom signaling. I can't really anticipate or prevent those, so I'm forced to look like a lost tourist or an idiot. More likely an idiot because my license plate state fits right in (small states in New England). To be clear, the car signals with the intent to go straight, which is the correct route, but it makes people think I'm moving out of the lane. and sometimes, a left signal is immediately followed by a right, which looks really dumb, unless people assume I was trying to turn off the signal and overcompensated on the stalk. And of course there are the times it signals with the intent to get into the wrong lane. Sure I can prevent the lane change, but the signaling already happened.

At any rate, I am pretty concerned that lane selection hasn't improved since this particular behavior was introduced (10.10). I remember at the time thinking this regression gets a pass (a lot of other noticeable improvements came with 10.10), but now I'm starting to wonder if their current vectorized lane approach (introduced with 10.10) is not viable. Should have seen some improvement by now. I have a hard time imagining Tesla has not gotten any feedback on this problem.

The other day I was at a traffic light waiting to make a left turn. There were 2 left turning lanes and I was in the outside turning lane(one farthest to the right). I was behind 4 other cars waiting to make the left turn. When the light turned green the cars ahead started to move and make the left turn. The car ahead of me at the last minute decided not to turn left and instead switched to the lane to the right on me which continued straight. My car decided to follow this car instead of making the left turn!! Is this normal? I had to manually intervene and even then it was too late and had to continue going straight almost causing an accident. Why would FSD rely on the direction of the car in front of me? Is this normal behavior?
Well, it used to be the case that FSDb would designate the car in front of you as the "lead" car and would use it to help guide itself. I assume it still does, although this is a pretty extreme example of why blindly following a lead car isn't a fantastic idea. If only there was a video snapshot button you could click to send feedback to Tesla... ;)

Here was a funny one from yesterday…

The blue lane shading (@Mardak has mentioned before - something to do with merging or forking or something?) went wild here, which is probably why this happened. Car was not correctly positioned in the lane in advance - another clue of misbehavior to come.

Check out that regen bar (in conjunction with the sudden steering movement which I immediately countered of course).

This was the last intervention of this ~4-mile route.

Someone can do the frame by frame; on mobile so I can’t, but this was roughly 8mph in less than a second (ignore the speedometer lag of course). So about 0.4g.

Last edited:
Here was a funny one from yesterday…

The blue lane shading (@Mardak has mentioned before - something to do with merging or forking or something?) went wild here, which is probably why this happened. Car was not correctly positioned in the lane in advance - another clue of misbehavior to come.

Check out that regen bar (in conjunction with the sudden steering movement which I immediately countered of course).

This was the last intervention of this ~4-mile route.
Looks like the incorrectly merge left panted lines confused it. [rhetorical]Why is there a merge left panting when there is no lane there?

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like the incorrectly merge left panted lines confused it. [rhetorical]Why is there a merge left panting when there is no lane there?

It’s not incorrect. That’s the lane for people leaving the apartment complex, to allow them to get up to speed! This is a high speed road, with limited visibility on this curve, and you cannot expect people to turn right and just absolutely nail it.

You turn into that lane, which turns into the bike lane (well, it is also the bike lane…) (which is why you have to merge into the main traffic lane).

Plenty of room for a lane. GoPro wide angle is deceptive.

You are right though, good eye - this is presumably the root cause of the freakout.

Last edited:
When I had the issues with cabin camera and FSD Strikes occurring in the evening I requested Tesla to look into the issue. So, I am limiting my evening drives in my Tesla. I have been rescheduling my appts to bring my car as I did not want anything to be screwed up. Tesla said today that they want to change the computer in my car and my appt is for Jan 9th. Finally, will they be able to erase the 3 Strikes I have:)?
After they changed my car computer no FSD and no strikes!
If you want your strikes to disappear ask them for a new computer :D
PXL_20230110_181840206.jpg

Now I am in the que again to get FSD as I just requested! I don't see any Safety Score option yet. Starting with a clean slate. Also, when they installed the new computer they installed 2022.44.25.3, a non-FSD version.

For me, it's been a while where the car has come to an uncomfortable stop while on marked roads. On unmarked roads, all bets are off. Car slams on its brakes in unexpected moments at intersections, often too far away from the stop sign, etc. But on marked roads, I very rarely feel I needed to apologize to passengers for a [non phantom braking] stopping maneuver. Turning, yes; stopping, not so much.
Generally same until today. Precursor - unmarked road - slowing for a stop sign, for some reason an FCW triggers when FSDb slowing down the last 1-2mph. No cars or pedestrians in the intersection. Next 2 instances - following the same car on a marked 4-lane road. Stop and go traffic. It panic braked while slowing down after catching up to the car ahead. Could hear stuff in my trunk shifting from the severity of the stop. Ended up driving manually the rest of the way

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Generally same until today. Precursor - unmarked road - slowing for a stop sign, for some reason an FCW triggers when FSDb slowing down the last 1-2mph. No cars or pedestrians in the intersection. Next 2 instances - following the same car on a marked 4-lane road. Stop and go traffic. It panic braked while slowing down after catching up to the car ahead. Could hear stuff in my trunk shifting from the severity of the stop. Ended up driving manually the rest of the way

V11 cannot come soon enough. Going to fix all this stuff for sure. And kill this thread. The 10.12 thread was bad enough and ended basically the same way.

I guess order of priority without the number ranking would be

Lane selection seems like a non issue as I just tell it what lane I want to be in. Annoying and can fail sometimes but a non issue since you can always prevent it.

Similarly pressing the accelerator is not that big a deal (even less of an issue really; no one has to know about it).

The stop sign thing is like an 8. It’s related to the stopping issues and is a major usability issue.
Lane selection is a non issue! Really, I would hazard a guess that is the number one issue reported by FSD testers based on this forum's feedback. If you tell "it" what lane to be in than you're not using FSD as intended.

Lane selection is a non issue! Really, I would hazard a guess that is the number one issue reported by FSD testers based on this forum's feedback. If you tell "it" what lane to be in than you're not using FSD as intended.
I agree that lane selection is a very big issue. But like AlanSubie4Life said: I do tell the car what lane to get into quite often. I know that is not how FSD is supposed to function but that is the reality of how it must be operated to get from point A to B. Not stopping smoothly is another big issue, especially if you were in the car stopped ahead of me and looked in your rear view mirror and saw a speeding T coming up fast on your 6 o'clock. I envision that poor soul bracing for impact:eek:

Non-issue probably the wrong way to describe it, you are right.

I understand the intent is to not have to tell FSD what to do but the reality is what it is.

And I’d rather deal with the annoying spurious signals (which are definitely a problem, not a non-issue), than slamming on of brakes, inappropriate speed selection, unnatural stop sign behavior, etc.

To me it is just a prioritization of the effort required to avoid the given behavior. And lane selection is something that can be avoided more easily than some (but not all) of these other behaviors listed.

As I’ve said, hopefully we can get NOA-like lane change confirmation here.

Just seems like picking the correct lane is an absolutely impossible problem to solve. It is highly complex and likely requires AGI (or at least planning a couple minutes ahead, dynamically, based on traffic conditions and specific knowledge of the area, for optimal choice). Just don’t even bother trying!

Last edited:
Yea, after I looked again I can see it. On the first look it looks too narrow for a car. I think it is on the narrow side and the GoPro accentuates this.
Yes it is on the narrow side, especially for California lanes. And the GoPro makes it look even smaller.

I’ve actually never really perceived that lane being there as I drive past (though usually focused on the light ahead and there is never anyone merging).

I’ve driven this section many times on FSD in this lane (a couple times on this version I think) and this is the first freakout, FWIW.

I think this sh**show may have been precipitated by the blue car poking out, causing FSD to shift to the left slightly, and that somehow screwed up perception a few seconds later. Just a guess.

I agree that lane selection is a very big issue. But like AlanSubie4Life said: I do tell the car what lane to get into quite often. I know that is not how FSD is supposed to function but that is the reality of how it must be operated to get from point A to B. Not stopping smoothly is another big issue, especially if you were in the car stopped ahead of me and looked in your rear view mirror and saw a speeding T coming up fast on your 6 o'clock. I envision that poor soul bracing for impact:eek:
Interesting. I use FSD on my Model Y (vin 16xxx) and have never in over 15 months of using FSD thought I was approaching the car in front of me too fast. It is always fairly smooth. Same for my Model 3 which I no longer have. Perhaps it's related to hardware. What model do you have?

Interesting. I use FSD on my Model Y (vin 16xxx) and have never in over 15 months of using FSD thought I was approaching the car in front of me too fast. It is always fairly smooth. Same for my Model 3 which I no longer have. Perhaps it's related to hardware. What model do you have?
Model YLR April 2021. The problem arises when there is a stop light at a distance ahead that is not seen on the display and the light turns red and cars begin to stop. I have the speed control set to +10 mph but most of the time I reduce that to +5 mph. Is the additional speed the issue, I don't know. The problem also happens on the highway autopilot (NoA) when at high speed (70mph +) and approaching stopped traffic ahead that I can see but the autopilot cannot.
I like AlanSubie4Life disengage (I wait a little longer than AlanSubie4Life based on what I can see on his video) so as not to frighten passengers in my car or the ones ahead. A lot of this is subjective, what you view as unsatisfactory or unsafe may be ok with me and visa versa.

Had a couple of weird issues today ..
- At a roundabout FSD stopped and waited, so had to push the accelerator all the way around … and even after exiting the roundabout it wouldn’t get going. Had to disengage and restart FSD. Never happened before.
- At a fork it had to take the right lane, but took the left first. Happens once in a while. But this time it changed to the right lane and stopped. Had to take over.

The other issue that’s been happening for a while - though I guess not directly FSD related- is the way alt routes work. When we input the destination nav will show multiple routes with one default in blue others gray. If you select an alternate route, it will be highlighted in blue indicating that has been chosen. I usually do this before pulling out of parking space … but the nav will change back to default route before I can engage FSD. So, basically to use alt route FSD needs to be engaged soon after selecting the alt route. That’s a bug in nav.