Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting drive last week on a 2 lane street with a garbage truck ahead of me. It veered to the left and went into creep mode in an attempt to pass the truck. there was however a car parked on the opposite lane. The car automatically folded the side mirrors and squeezed through the 2 vehicles,
This is common behavior and only seems to wait if there is forward coming traffic or perpendicular facing cars. Even if perpendicular facing cars are parked it still highlights them as blue and won't precede to pass.

Also it only goes into Creep Mode at intersections. It was just driving slow/cautious. You can identify Creep Mode with the solid blue line drawn on the screen in front of Ego. This is the point "of no return" for pulling out.

Sometimes the mirrors become comical. they will fold in and out and in and out over and over as it squeezes through.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was programmed by the same guy who did the turn signals.
Yea, here is a post I made a few months ago (Sept) that also involved a tight street, a garbage truck and folding mirrors.

EDIT: Of course folding the mirrors, while funny doesn't have any downsides the way the incorrect signals can have.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
2) Set speed (Scroll wheel; Safety; Collision Risk Mitigation, compliance with law; cannot legally drive 28 in a 45 - don’t know if Speed Trap Law applies on low side though, doubt it applies for unsafe driving anyway)
Why did you have to adjust speed? It looked like your map data had the correct 45mph speed set. Would it not have accelerated up to 45 on its own ?

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Why did you have to adjust speed? It looked like your map data had the correct 45mph speed set. Would it not have accelerated up to 45 on its own ?
The issue appears to be that the left turn street has a 25MPH limit, the street it's turning onto has a 45MPH limit, but the car does not immediately pick that up from map data, and instead waits until the first 45MPH sign to adjust the speed - so you're going 25MPH on a 45MPH road in the left lane while others are approaching at 45/50MPH behind you.

I have a similar, but opposite issue in my area. The feeder street for my residential neighborhood is 45MPH, but when it crosses the main highway, the speed should decrease to 25MPH since it's in a residential neighborhood. However, it doesn't change the speed, and proceeds into the residential, unmarked road at 45MPH. I have to wheel down before it crosses the intersection, so it enters the neighborhood slowing to 25MPH.

Turned onto the road at 1:37 and the speed limit did not adjust until 1:50. This is consistent. And necessitates intervention every single time.

If I remember I increase speed while waiting to make the turn but there is a lot to focus on to avoid dying so I usually forget. (This is actually required to evaluate how well it takes this ULT, so I rarely am able to evaluate it correctly. However, these days it is doing a better job - still tons of errors and disengagement, but maybe 50% of the time it is fine, with speed adjustment in advance. If there is traffic it is never successful and if there is light to no traffic it is usually fine. Unless it is too far to the left.)

approaching at 45/50MPH behind you.

Usually more between 50-60mph since the 45mph limit is not an actual limit that is enforceable. (And no one in the neighborhood wants a 55mph enforceable speed limit either.)

That’s why they have the radar speed signs. Keeps people in check, below 70mph in nearly all cases.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: momo3605
Turned onto the road at 1:37 and the speed limit did not adjust until 1:50. This is consistent. And necessitates intervention every single time.

If I remember I increase speed while waiting to make the turn but there is a lot to focus on to avoid dying so I usually forget. (This is actually required to evaluate how well it takes this ULT, so I rarely am able to evaluate it correctly. However, these days it is doing a better job - still tons of errors and disengagement, but maybe 50% of the time it is fine, with speed adjustment in advance. If there is traffic it is never successful and if there is light to no traffic it is usually fine. Unless it is too far to the left.)

Usually more between 50-60mph since the 45mph limit is not an actual limit that is enforceable. (And no one in the neighborhood wants a 55mph enforceable speed limit either.)

That’s why they have the radar speed signs. Keeps people in check, below 70mph in nearly all cases.
How do you have a speed limit that's not enforceable? If a police car is behind you on that street and you're doing 65MPH when the sign says 45MPH - he won't pull you over?

How do you have a speed limit that's not enforceable? If a police car is behind you on that street and you're doing 65MPH when the sign says 45MPH - he won't pull you over?

No recent (5 years) traffic study which validates the 85% limit or whatever. So this makes it not enforceable. And neighborhood does not want a traffic study since that would lead to a higher limit being set.

Not clear what impact AB 43 had on this. Looks like no effect until Jun 2024 and if it does have an impact that will kind of suck as this is clearly a safe road at around 50mph. Maybe they’ll raise the limit, haha.

I assume things like reckless driving and pulling people over for that are still enforceable. Just can’t use radar. If there were a cop driving along I would just match speeds or maybe lower.

But driving at the same speed most other people do is fine. Which is about 55mph.

On a nearby road there often used to be a traffic cop but I guess the five-year study expired a few years ago. So he is gone. Which is great. A lot less stressful and I just drive at a reasonable and safe speed (not 45mph down the hill with no entrances).

(Google Maps)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and FSDtester#1
Just a general impression I've observed after using 25.1 for awhile. When approaching vehicles pulled over to the side of the road (i.e. Fedex, mail trucks) FSD doesn't move over soon enough or far enough. Nor does it slow down when needed. Anyone else noticed this?
Um. So, FSD 25.1 hasn't had that particular problem with me. What I do notice: When there's a dump truck/trash truck/Fedex truck parked on the side, FSD isn't particularly shy about crossing the double-yellow line to get around the obstructing vehicle.

More to the point, it tends to go around fairly quickly, perhaps a bit faster than I would do it; but that might be because, well, it's making a move that I know is risky, I still think of the software as a student driver, and so in my brain there's a little guy jumping up and down saying, "Slow down!"

Now, in FSD's defense, there are forward facing cameras both in the center of the windshield (which wouldn't be good for this, I'd have a better view) and the forward-front facing camera on the door pillar, which likely has a better view than the driver does. So, where I'd slow down and crane my head over, the car is, well, pre-craned and doesn't have to do that. And if that camera doesn't see anybody coming, well, there's nobody coming.

And this bit about me vs. the machine.. I used to be sailor on an aircraft carrier. For fun, during one's time off, one can go onto the ship's island and watch airplanes land or take off. In the rear of the island were a couple-three radar dishes on individual mounts, all of them with a great view of airplanes landing.

They were part of a system. A pilot feeling antsy about landing on a ship whose stern was moving up and down 20 feet in heavy seas and rolling to boot in varying amount of precipitation of all sorts had the option of hitting the Button. When the Button was pressed, one of those radars on the stern would lock onto the aircraft and a high-faluting computer of the day, knowing the plain's relative position, the position of the ship, and having an electronic connection into the autopilot on the aircraft, would take over flying the aircraft onto the flight deck. Stern going up and down? Ship rolling from side to side? Snow squalls with 10 foot visibility? Wounded pilot? Everything would move in lockstep and that airplane would Set Down where it was supposed to be. One could see when this all was working when one of the radar dishes would start tracking an incoming aircraft, center element of the radar dish spinning like mad.

Biggest problem with the system? Getting the pilot to let go of the stick. In the back of the head of the pilots: "All it takes is one blown transistor." Yep, people had issues with the FSD of the time.

So, passing trucks/cars/whatever that intrude onto travel lanes is Risky Business, and our brains know it; and FSD is the unknown. Don't get me wrong: FSD may be passing too close. But is it a case of, "I can't force myself to trust this machine, which I know has bugs in it, somewhere."? Even when there's not really a bug present.

Sure makes for white-knuckle driving.

Noted, so my wife's designation of me will regress accordingly. I'll be lucky if I retain primate status in that reevaluation.
I don't think that matters really, my understanding is when true full FSD hits the road, probably next month at the latest, the opposable thumb will be obsolete, a thing of the past, no longer needed. And anyway, chicks dig Neanderthals........

Um. So, FSD 25.1 hasn't had that particular problem with me. What I do notice: When there's a dump truck/trash truck/Fedex truck parked on the side, FSD isn't particularly shy about crossing the double-yellow line to get around the obstructing vehicle.

More to the point, it tends to go around fairly quickly, perhaps a bit faster than I would do it; but that might be because, well, it's making a move that I know is risky, I still think of the software as a student driver, and so in my brain there's a little guy jumping up and down saying, "Slow down!"

Now, in FSD's defense, there are forward facing cameras both in the center of the windshield (which wouldn't be good for this, I'd have a better view) and the forward-front facing camera on the door pillar, which likely has a better view than the driver does. So, where I'd slow down and crane my head over, the car is, well, pre-craned and doesn't have to do that. And if that camera doesn't see anybody coming, well, there's nobody coming.

And this bit about me vs. the machine.. I used to be sailor on an aircraft carrier. For fun, during one's time off, one can go onto the ship's island and watch airplanes land or take off. In the rear of the island were a couple-three radar dishes on individual mounts, all of them with a great view of airplanes landing.

They were part of a system. A pilot feeling antsy about landing on a ship whose stern was moving up and down 20 feet in heavy seas and rolling to boot in varying amount of precipitation of all sorts had the option of hitting the Button. When the Button was pressed, one of those radars on the stern would lock onto the aircraft and a high-faluting computer of the day, knowing the plain's relative position, the position of the ship, and having an electronic connection into the autopilot on the aircraft, would take over flying the aircraft onto the flight deck. Stern going up and down? Ship rolling from side to side? Snow squalls with 10 foot visibility? Wounded pilot? Everything would move in lockstep and that airplane would Set Down where it was supposed to be. One could see when this all was working when one of the radar dishes would start tracking an incoming aircraft, center element of the radar dish spinning like mad.

Biggest problem with the system? Getting the pilot to let go of the stick. In the back of the head of the pilots: "All it takes is one blown transistor." Yep, people had issues with the FSD of the time.

So, passing trucks/cars/whatever that intrude onto travel lanes is Risky Business, and our brains know it; and FSD is the unknown. Don't get me wrong: FSD may be passing too close. But is it a case of, "I can't force myself to trust this machine, which I know has bugs in it, somewhere."? Even when there's not really a bug present.

Sure makes for white-knuckle driving.
If FSD makes a mistake and you crash it’s your fault and everyone will call you a fool for trusting it.
If Tesla released actual FSD the vast majority of people would happily sleep in the back seat. It would be no different than riding in a human driven taxi.

Just don’t want to get rear ended. Obviously no one behind in this case (that is why I turned the cameras on for viewers), but in the general case the driver behind will be able to see there is no traffic coming at this intersection (as you can see in the video), and will not expect you to stop. Definitely increases collision risk to stop.

It’s an intervention every time the car stops when it should not. Just not safe.

I would not have allowed the slowing to a stop, even for video demonstration purposes, if someone had been behind me. 💯. Just keep it at 5-10mph and carry on.

It’s also not courteous, of course.
You have to thank NHTSA and the rolling stop recall for that one.
FSD was doing just fine with the rolling stop rule to mimic other drivers behavior... But that is against the law.
Don't they teach the 3 second stop rule in drivers ed?

You have to thank NHTSA and the rolling stop recall for that one.
FSD was doing just fine with the rolling stop rule to mimic other drivers behavior... But that is against the law.
Don't they teach the 3 second stop rule in drivers ed?
Tesla might not have gotten so much attention if they initially just did 2mph rolling stop signs. There were lots of FSD videos of rolling stop signs at 5-7mph which is clearly excessive if you know you're being watched. How dumb could Tesla be.

Reactions: GSP and scottf200
Tesla might not have gotten so much attention if they initially just did 2mph rolling stop signs. There were lots of FSD videos of rolling stop signs at 5-7mph which is clearly excessive if you know you're being watched. How dumb could Tesla be.

Stopping at stop signs is fine. It is not a problem and is not slow when done correctly.

You’ll recall Tesla rolled through stop signs slowly. Extremely pointless. Now they stop for stop signs, slowly. The stopping part is not the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
The amount of time FSD stops at stop signs can vary slightly, depending on, if at that particular stop, it decides to count bananas or Mississippi.
Yep. One recent youtube video had FSDb taking about 40 secs before the driver finally took over. That's the time after stopping and initiating the leisurely 30ft crawl. During the wait he said a couple of times 'I would've gone there.'

• Funny