Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but I didn’t get the impression he ever was talking about using FSD beta without a human driver. He was discussing actual use FSD beta and Autopilot on public roads to date. Given how Tesla monitors driver attention, it would not make sense to infer he was talking about using FSD without a human driver at the wheel.

GSP
Well, he specifically starts the video talking about what would happen if you replaced all cars on the road with Teslas WITHOUT steering wheels, and, based on current Autopliot safety statistics, how many lives would be saved. But the statistics don’t in any way indicate how safe Teslas without steering wheels would be - only how safe Teslas on AutoPilot WITH a driver behind the wheel are. That’s my point.

Yep braking score looks about right.

Sad. Still not fixed. I don’t have the update but doesn’t look like it will fix anything.

If the car didn’t follow so darn closely all the time it wouldn’t have to slam on the brakes for vehicles in front that stop suddenly…most of the time. Of course there are exceptional scenarios.

It is so annoying. It routinely follows at 1.5 seconds or so. Why not 2.5 to 3? It’s quite unusual (as a percentage of the time) to be in traffic situations that require tighter spacing.
The braking is about how my mother used to drive. Not saying it’s good, just saying.

It’s too late/aggressive IMO, but in some parts of the country it’s probably typical.

Welp my FSD subscription ends in a day. This was my first time ever experiencing FSDb and I have to say that I am impressed with it. Ignoring the promised timelines, FSDb in its current state is pretty good. It can do my normal commutes besides a U-Turn; even if it decides to make some weird decisions. It'll still get to the destination without me having to disengage. I've only had 30 days with it but it's nice to see what the current state of FSDb is from a first person experience.

Now to pay off all these "No Turn On Red" tickets...

When I enabled one pedal driving, I thought "I'm not gonna have to replace my brake pads the entire time I own this car," and I typically own my cars for ten years.

Then I became an FSDb tester.

Anyone know some good brake pads for a 2019 P3D-? Asking for a friend.
You’re not kidding. It’s almost like they purposely made FSDb slam and use the brakes excessively so we can pay them $200/hour for labor to replace our pads with another set.

Yep braking score looks about right.

Sad. Still not fixed. I don’t have the update but doesn’t look like it will fix anything.

If the car didn’t follow so darn closely all the time it wouldn’t have to slam on the brakes for vehicles in front that stop suddenly…most of the time. Of course there are exceptional scenarios.

It is so annoying. It routinely follows at 1.5 seconds or so. Why not 2.5 to 3? It’s quite unusual (as a percentage of the time) to be in traffic situations that require tighter spacing.
IIRC, when using the radar, the following distance wad greater than the now vision rendition. Maybe a limitation of the vision code?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
IIRC, when using the radar, the following distance wad greater than the now vision rendition. Maybe a limitation of the viduon code?

No I don’t think so. But I am not talking about AP here. In FSD (which never had radar in release to customers), the following distance has no effect (nor does Chill/Aggressive driving style as far as I can tell)..

Reactions: KArnold
Surprised no one posted this, yet. Evidently 10.69.25.2 can reverse:

Edit: Video referenced in the tweet thread so you can judge for yourself. It's very slight, so the jury is still out

I initially thought this was related to the rumored new NN controlling vehicle dynamics but maybe the vehicle was somehow struggling to station keep at the downhill stop with throttle (reverse) versus using brake/hold. If so it's still very weird given EVs have regen and brake/hold and one wouldn't expect new features for a bug fix release. Stuff like this given an impression the team is out of control at times and willing to throw caution to the wind with s/w development.

Last edited:
Reactions: KArnold
V9 of FSD beta removed radar. That's when FSD Beta became "mind blowing."
Exactly. I don’t include early beta recipients as customers (this is why I specified “in release to customers”) since they were able to effectively monetize it.

(Also that early version not relevant to following distance since no one knows, and no one experienced it.)

Last edited:
I haven't noticed an issue with following too close to a lead vehicle. However, excess and delayed braking are unquestionably typical. The issue seems to be FSDb's ADD-like focus on the lead vehicle resulting in FSDb's surprise of upcoming red light intersections, lines of cars stopped or slowed ahead, etc. Or for that matter, a myopic-like forward focus that leads to the same behavior with no lead vehicle. It's not how safe drivers operate a vehicle.

I haven't noticed an issue with following too close to a lead vehicle.

Here's an example, following at 1.5 seconds at 45mph. This is far far too close and not what a safe driver would typically do (ignore the falsely reassuring GoPro perspective and just count the frames!).

This is an annoyance, but unfortunately it's not the main source of the problems. Increasing following distance would just allow slower braking if the person in front stops suddenly, better visibility, and it would feel more comfortable and be safer.

The issue seems to be FSDb's ADD-like focus on the lead vehicle resulting in FSDb's surprise of upcoming red light intersections, lines of cars stopped or slowed ahead, etc. Or for that matter, a myopic-like forward focus that leads to the same behavior with no lead vehicle

It’s partly this, but if you watch and feel carefully you’ll see that is not the primary problem.

Red lights are usually noticed in plenty of time. Though there are certainly exceptions!

The primary issue is that the initial brake application is too hard. Then, the car stops braking (20% of original force or so). 🤯 Then a short time later after coasting and not decelerating at all for a second or so, it of course needs to slow faster, so brakes harder.

The car could come to a fast, consistent halt, with late braking for stopped traffic. Wouldn't be ideal for brake use and would be scary and non-optimal. Of course better to slow early enough. But right now it is usually slowing early enough for a quite sedate stop (maybe a little friction brakes but no big deal), but it just isn't doing it!!!

Here's an example. Sure, it was about 1-2 seconds later than I would have been easing off the accelerator to minimize slowing forces and guarantee regen only. But look at that regen bar!!!

Here is the first onset:
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 8.54.23 AM.png

Then it goes to nothing (again, at most 20% of original force on this non-linear display - observe how the speed stops changing (but remember speedometer is delayed so is not synced with the regen)).
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 8.56.13 AM.png

And it maintains that for a second or so. Here it is, still at it! Hardly lost any speed, notice (this is significantly downhill so you get regen from coasting at constant speed)!!!
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 8.58.22 AM.png

Then it slams on the brakes again, having wasted an apparently sufficient amount of perfectly good stopping distance:
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 8.58.51 AM.png

Again, it was SLIGHTLY late to start braking here. But literally I could have disengaged FSD with the stalk at the moment it started braking, removed my foot from the brake and accelerator, and let it coast to a near halt. Then, feather in the brakes at the end of the stop to ensure I did not hit the person in front. I definitely think I would have had to use the brakes, but it would have been very mild, in spite of the slight delay in reaction to stopped traffic, and it would have been just light application applied over a longer period, towards the end of the stop, at as low a speed as possible.

So the timing of the onset of braking is usually "ok" - this is an example. I'd LIKE it to start earlier of course. But that's NOT the main problem.

This same pattern occurs on nearly every problematic stop. No one understands why.

Here's where I discuss it in real time:
"It is completely insane."

Last edited:

Here's an example, following at 1.5 seconds at 45mph. This is far far too close and not what a safe driver would typically do (ignore the falsely reassuring GoPro perspective and just count the frames!).

This is an annoyance, but unfortunately it's not the main source of the problems. Increasing following distance would just allow slower braking if the person in front stops suddenly, better visibility, and it would feel more comfortable and be safer.

It’s partly this, but if you watch and feel carefully you’ll see that is not the primary problem.

Red lights are usually noticed in plenty of time. Though there are certainly exceptions!

The primary issue is that the initial brake application is too hard. Then, the car stops braking (20% of original force or so). 🤯 Then a short time later after coasting and not decelerating at all for a second or so, it of course needs to slow faster, so brakes harder.

The car could come to a fast, consistent halt, with late braking for stopped traffic. Wouldn't be ideal for brake use and would be scary and non-optimal. Of course better to slow early enough. But right now it is usually slowing early enough for a quite sedate stop (maybe a little friction brakes but no big deal), but it just isn't doing it!!!

Here's an example. Sure, it was about 1-2 seconds later than I would have been easing off the accelerator to minimize slowing forces and guarantee regen only. But look at that regen bar!!!

Here is the first onset:
View attachment 898439
Then it goes to nothing (again, at most 20% of original force on this non-linear display - observe how the speed stops changing (but remember speedometer is delayed so is not synced with the regen)).
View attachment 898440
And it maintains that for a second or so. Here it is, still at it! Hardly lost any speed, notice (this is significantly downhill so you get regen from coasting at constant speed)!!!
View attachment 898442
Then it slams on the brakes again, having wasted an apparently sufficient amount of perfectly good stopping distance:
View attachment 898443

Again, it was SLIGHTLY late to start braking here. But literally I could have disengaged FSD with the stalk at the moment it started braking, removed my foot from the brake and accelerator, and let it coast to a near halt. Then, feather in the brakes at the end of the stop to ensure I did not hit the person in front. I definitely think I would have had to use the brakes, but it would have been very mild, in spite of the slight delay in reaction to stopped traffic, and it would have been just light application applied over a longer period, towards the end of the stop, at as low a speed as possible.

So the timing of the onset of braking is usually "ok" - this is an example. I'd LIKE it to start earlier of course. But that's NOT the main problem.

This same pattern occurs on nearly every problematic stop. No one understands why.

Sorry but just as an observer I don’t follow nor view the issues you complain about. “Why did it slow down” ahhhh the car in front of you drastically slowed down, fairly self explanatory. “I would have gone for it on yellow” most including me Would Not! Not worth the gamble. “it’s slamming on the brakes!” Ummm going from 42 to 39 is not slamming on the brakes sorry. Your views are appreciated though most often exaggerated to an extreme in my view. “It’s following To close!” Yet a second later you disable and reduce that gap by near half. Still seems to me you are after perfection as compared to how You drive verses a standard universal safety like most other drivers. Just my view.

Here is the first onset:
View attachment 898439
View attachment 898440
View attachment 898442
View attachment 898443

So the onset of braking is usually "ok" - this is an example. I'd LIKE it to start earlier of course. But that's NOT the main problem.

The fisheye-like lens distorts so it doesn't look too close but I tried counting one-1000, two -1000 and seemed to be about 2 secs. I agree FSDb braking action is an unnatural step-response no one in correct mind or senses would apply but, like I said, for me, over and over again, it's primarily related to myopic focused regions around the EGO. But there isn't just one or two issues here.

And counter to your "best known to no one" I've said before that I suspect system latency significantly contributes to FSDb's need to apply excess brake since the system makes decisions on data that could be upwards of 500ms to 1 sec earlier given data processing pipelines, filtering, and statistical decision making. This is a long known phenomenon in sensor targeting, ADAS etc. I don't buy the team's party line of 10ms. Making decisions based on 500ms to 1 second earlier data results in higher g-force and jerk applications when real time braking lead vehicles are iteratively closer and closer in real-time. It doesn't matter as much when lead vehicles are accelerating.

It's sad the team has put a low priority on improving vehicle dynamics and comfort when comfort is one of the 3 system goals. Gawd knows new NNs will introduce their own issues when attempting to control vehicle dynamics. Maybe the team didn't want to implement a quick, well performing heuristic design only to be disrupted by the inevitable need for NN data collection, training, revision and 'edge/corner' case chaos.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life