Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats what I'd expect. They don't want people to wait for HW4.
Unless they have a Cybertruck on order. 🤔 🤣 🤣

Remember back when HW3 was announced? Wasn't it already being installed in 3s at the time avoiding the Osborn effect. Same reason HW4 is only announced for the truck. One day next year (after Cybertruck ramp) they will probably announce that all cars are now coming with HW4

Unless they have a Cybertruck on order. 🤔 🤣 🤣
Presumably this means that when the human is driving, the car with FSDb turned on will be 3x safer (with the human driving, as mentioned) than a typical human driving without FSDb turned on (and no other assists - this could start becoming a moving target if they don’t hurry!).

But no one knows for sure. Also not clear that this is possible since you may hit a limit due to driver no longer driving even though that is not the design intent.

Mr. Tweet
@elonmusk
·
Follow
It’s amazing by most standards, but we are aiming for 1000% safer than the average human driver
4:31 PM · Aug 24, 2021
We are a little off target wouldn’t you say?

Presumably this means that when the human is driving, the car with FSDb turned on will be 3x safer (with the human driving, as mentioned) than a typical human driving without FSDb turned on
I'm not sure if that's the "final" goal as opposed to 3x safer without a human driving. Tesla's Vehicle Safety Report for 2022 Q3 shows: "we recorded one crash for every 6.26 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology. For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology, we recorded one crash for every 1.71 million miles driven." Where that data shows 3.7x safety of human + Autopilot compared to just human (driving a Tesla).

Yes, FSD Beta data on city streets is different than general Autopilot, but when Tesla releases FSD Beta 11 single stack, presumably they're matching the existing safety on highways. So I think Tesla's goal is to keep trying to improve safety of FSD Beta on HW3 such as reaching 10x safer with a human so that it can also be 3x safer even without a driver.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm not sure if that's the "final" goal as opposed to 3x safer without a human driving. Tesla's Vehicle Safety Report for 2022 Q3 shows: "we recorded one crash for every 6.26 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology. For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology, we recorded one crash for every 1.71 million miles driven." Where that data shows 3.7x safety of human + Autopilot compared to just human (driving a Tesla).

Yes, FSD Beta data on city streets is different than general Autopilot, but when Tesla releases FSD Beta 11 single stack, presumably they're matching the existing safety on highways. So I think Tesla's goal is to keep trying to improve safety of FSD Beta on HW3 such as reaching 10x safer with a human so that it can also be 3x safer even without a driver.

Problem is we have no safety data and no one knows how this works.

(I always turn off my headlights at night because the data show that people with headlights on have higher accident rates.)

As per the earnings call, looks like there will be no upgrade option for hw3 to hw4.
They made it sound like hw3 will get there and do the job at around 2 to 3 times safer than us humans. Hw4 will be 4 to 5 times safer. I am paraphrasing but that was the jist. They said the upgrade would be too costly and labor intensive.
So it looks like there will be 2 different groups of employee working on each hardware.

• Informative
Thats what I'd expect. They don't want people to wait for HW4.
I wonder why Tesla bother announcing HW4 and cause sales issue. (Osborne effect)
From Teslascope: "They also mentioned new autopilot hardware is still under active development and that the goal of "HW4" is primarily focused on improving efficiency and cost savings. They did not comment upon what other benefits the new hardware provides and/or external camera changes."

• Informative
I wonder why Tesla bother announcing HW4 and cause sales issue. (Osborne effect)
From Teslascope: "They also mentioned new autopilot hardware is still under active development and that the goal of "HW4" is primarily focused on improving efficiency and cost savings. They did not comment upon what other benefits the new hardware provides and/or external camera changes."
If hw4 doesn't come with better cameras and possibly more, like 2 near the headlights, I would be unimpressed

I be only had my M3 car Since December I don’t have a lot of experience with FSD. I live in Texas where suburban sprawls are the norm. Huge 6 lane city streets with multiple turning lanes and tons of ULTs. I usually have to take control 9 out of 10 trips I take. The top 3 reasons for this are:

1) Lane Selection. Ie… Staying in the far left lane when you need to make a right turn in less than 1/2 mile on a busy 40-50mph road doesn’t work well

2) Phantom Breaking and the timing of it is a huge safety concern. There are many times when the car brakes after making a turn with people right behind me. It scares the crap out of me and I have to scramble to accelerate to avoid being rear ended. This happens ALL the time for me.

3) sometimes I think the car “Crawls” just becusse it’s the right thing to do. But I’m not sure it’s actually looking for on coming traffic. I’ve had multiple instances(one today) where I am making a right turn on Red and on coming traffic has the green arrow to make a left. The car would crawl, crawl, crawl, and by the time it decides to make the turn the oncoming traffic is already in the process of making their turn. Had to disengage to avoid side swiping a car or two. Not fun

I tried making an ULT once…… ONCE. I won’t do that again. Scared the crap out of me.

Yes Im one of the hopeful souls that feel v11 is the answer. I think we all hope it is. I guess we will soon find out.

If it doesn't come with a drone that will do reconnaissance, I'll be disappointed.
That's nothing.
Elon can enlist Starship superHeavy to achieve DOJO overwatch!
1674775861085.png

I be only had my M3 car Since December I don’t have a lot of experience with FSD. I live in Texas where suburban sprawls are the norm. Huge 6 lane city streets with multiple turning lanes and tons of ULTs. I usually have to take control 9 out of 10 trips I take. The top 3 reasons for this are:

1) Lane Selection. Ie… Staying in the far left lane when you need to make a right turn in less than 1/2 mile on a busy 40-50mph road doesn’t work well

2) Phantom Breaking and the timing of it is a huge safety concern. There are many times when the car brakes after making a turn with people right behind me. It scares the crap out of me and I have to scramble to accelerate to avoid being rear ended. This happens ALL the time for me.

3) sometimes I think the car “Crawls” just becusse it’s the right thing to do. But I’m not sure it’s actually looking for on coming traffic. I’ve had multiple instances(one today) where I am making a right turn on Red and on coming traffic has the green arrow to make a left. The car would crawl, crawl, crawl, and by the time it decides to make the turn the oncoming traffic is already in the process of making their turn. Had to disengage to avoid side swiping a car or two. Not fun

I tried making an ULT once…… ONCE. I won’t do that again. Scared the crap out of me.

Yes Im one of the hopeful souls that feel v11 is the answer. I think we all hope it is. I guess we will soon find out.
Even RT is an issue. My Tesla tries to go to the middle lane first then immediately shift to the slow lane upon turning. What???
It also VERY, VERY scared of car in the median lane and would brake even if the car is not moving at all. I tried to tap the throtle and it swayed to the slow lane violently before returning to the fast lane.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750

This is great news, Musk is in Texas now so maybe he can experience this himself on all his FSD drives, and fix all these issues since he says his car drives like its L5. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Joboo7777