Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog FSD Beta 10 Rolls Out to Testers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has rolled out FSD Beta 10 to testers, which have been offering their reviews of the advanced self-driving system.

The latest version of FSD was delivered with software update 2020.24.15. Early reviews were positive, saying that the self-driving system is noticeably smoother than the previous version.

FSD Beta Tester AI Addict posted a video to YouTube of his Model 3 having no trouble navigating the famous twists and turns of San Francisco’s Lombard Street. After having to make no interventions, AI Addict said, “I’m flabbergasted.”

Some reviewers were not as impresses with FSD Beta 10’s highway driving. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted that highway improvements will come in version 10.1.

Musk was critical of the previous version of the software, saying it was “not great.”

“FSD Beta 9.2 is actually not great imo, but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible,” he tweeted. “We’re trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN retraining.”

Musk said the next version could be shipped to testers in three weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Microterf
From my experience, biggest improvement they could make is to teach AP how to ignore turn lanes on city streets. On a very regular basis my MY will be doing fine, following the lines, then a turn lane will come up on one or both sides. The car can't seem to look more than 10 feet ahead, and even though the display will show the arrow on the pavement indicating a turn lane it gets confused. Best case it veers over and jerks back, but sometimes it will inexplicably take the turn lane or straddle the line and just stop.

Another less common but more dangerous event occurs when you have an intersection that has dashed lines panted through it to guide cars making a left turn from the cross street. As the car traverses the intersection, it sees these lines and will suddenly veer to the right, potentially cutting off or crashing into another car.

Reactions: Aerodyna
Bike lanes that appear and disappear driving down the road confuse the heck out of FSD. It suddenly swerves into and out of them thinking they are official lanes. Thankfully it does this 90% predictably so I know to take over or shut off.

Interesting how FSD Beta 9 went from "mind blowing":

to "actually not great".

Wonder how long it will take FSD Beta 10 to reach "actually not great" status...

Watching all the beta 10 videos things are running a lot quicker and smoother. But there’s still a lot of things on “fringe” that it’s still challenged with that we’re just as much a problem with the prior version(s).

Some testers are doing the same routes with each version and others are continuing to challenge with various things.

It’s interesting to watch how sometimes it comes to full stops at signs while other times in the same scenario it just kind of rolls the stop.

i thought I read that Elon said V10 with FSD beta was being pushed out to ALL capable cars?? Not just the few selected individuals?

I received an update yesterday, again, eagerly excited that it was FINALLY here after years and years through three different cars, waiting for it, only to again be disappointed with another friggen video game of some sort that I couldn't care less about?

Did I hear this wrong?

When I was in college a long time ago (1970s) I took a class in Artificial Intelligence. Now the one thing that I took away from the class is that today's AI, whatever it was, was going to be tomorrow's programming lesson. IOW, it will never truly happen. We'll get the system to do what we want it to do, only to find that it doesn't adopt itself to new situations and what we previously did was just programming. There was an assignment with 15 different puzzle inputs, and we were to write a program that would solve them. Inputs 13 and 15 were supposedly impossible to solve and my solution was the only one that figured that out and would say so, all the other solutions in the class just hung the computer until it timed out. Luckily there were timeouts because it was a big shared mainframe. I got the A in the class.

We've come a long way with a lot of things, but in the end it is all just programming what we know. Have you ever asked Alexa a simple question and gotten "hmmm, I don't know the answer to that"? That's because the only answers it knows were pre-programmed in, even in the Neural Networks that it digs into. I wrote a simple Alexa skill program and found it to be extremely tedious because you had to pre-program the way you expected the questions/commands to be asked.

So no matter what is done with FSD, the one part of it that won't ever happen is the "full". It will self drive until everyone is happy with it but the full is undefinable. And today's fix for something that happens will just be written into the program until tomorrow's accident crash happens. It won't be an accident.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’m waiting patiently for “The Button”. We all know there will still be a beta disclaimer we’ll have to agree to so I would love the button today since it won’t be flawless when released. That’s just my inner thoughts =)
You understand it’s Beta. You sound like someone that knows if you crash using beta, it’s on you. You sound like someone that would be careful and reasonable, just like many of the beta testers out there now.

The problem is, there are so many folks NOT like you.
They will abuse it, hurt themselves, hurt others, make Tesla look bad purposely, and ultimately do harm to the progress.
Unfortunately, Tesla has to take those folks into account. Many of those folks are on this forum. :)

You understand it’s Beta. You sound like someone that knows if you crash using beta, it’s on you. You sound like someone that would be careful and reasonable, just like many of the beta testers out there now.

They will abuse it, hurt themselves, hurt others, make Tesla look bad purposely, and ultimately do harm to the progress.
Unfortunately, Tesla has to take those folks into account. Many of those folks are on this forum. :)
We’ll when you put it that way it makes total sense why Tesla is not releasing it right now lol. I kinda forgot that there are sooooo many bad drivers out there. Also ones on their phones while driving. I guess I’ll be extra patient.

Reactions: rxlawdude
It looks like people are driving around with FSDbeta in Toronto.

Where did you hear that ?

Geography will factor into the roll-out. I'm fortunate that I'm in Silicon Valley and drive by Tesla's HQ regularly so I'm in a good area. Canada and Norway are probably after the US.

I’m waiting patiently for “The Button”. We all know there will still be a beta disclaimer we’ll have to agree to so I would love the button today since it won’t be flawless when released. That’s just my inner thoughts =)

Tesla got absolutely flooded with requests after that tweet and added all they needed.

People in the EAP and select others (influencers) are slowly getting added even now.

Elon suggested that V10 could go wide. Now he says v10.1. Later he will say v10.2, etc... This is a reoccurring theme where Elon strings us along. This started many years ago, when Elon said many times full self driving probably two years away. In March he said 10 days away:

sorry, but you cant just have the customer sign all his rights away.

even if the customer drove 100% perfect, you cannot say the software is 100% perfect. and so, there can't be a 'its all on you, customer'. only an idiot would accept that.

again, suppose you do all you are supposed to, but some noise on a CAN bus glitches and some signal gets interpreted as 'go fast, now'. you cant assure people it is impossible. and so, why sign all your rights away?

that's just ignorant of all the things that can go WRONG in firmware. and this is tesla firmware. they play things fast and loose.

you guys do what you want with your lives, but realize that you share the road with others and they dont want to play your reindeer games.

just sayin'.

It looks like people are driving around with FSDbeta in Toronto.

Geography will factor into the roll-out. I'm fortunate that I'm in Silicon Valley and drive by Tesla's HQ regularly so I'm in a good area. Canada and Norway are probably after the US.

Tesla got absolutely flooded with requests after that tweet and added all they needed.

People in the EAP and select others (influencers) are slowly getting added even now.
I just looked on TeslaFi and virtually all of the 2021.32.10 upgrades have been in Canada with a few in Europe. It looks like the U.S. has to wait a bit...