Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta accidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Terminator857

Aug 5, 2019
Ca
Last night I was driving with beta engaged and hit a garbage can that was laying in the road. This isn't beta's fault directly as I couldn't see it either until the last second. I was travelling down the rural road, it was very dark, a car was sitting at the end of their driveway waiting to pull out (sadly they were just past where the garbage can was so their headlights didn't light up the road where the can was) so beta turned off the high-beams (which again is exactly was I was going to do and in fact disabled auto after it turned the high beams off to prevent it from flashing them) I was looking forward, hand on the wheel then here is this garbage can sitting in the middle of the lane. I slammed the brakes and swerved as much as I could making the tires screech. No warning/action from the Tesla until I was swerving out of the lane and it gave me a "take control immediately vehicle departing lane" warning. I smashed into the garbage can with the front right corner of my car, almost missed it but caught the corner and broke the front bumper fascia, the light in the lower right, and pushed back an ultra sonic sensor that's on the right side of the bumper. I am not mad at beta, a little disappointed that I had better vision and reaction time than the car (sadly still not good enough) I can't help but think, if my car's radar was still enabled this would probably of gone differently. The car maneuvered really well and stayed controllable so I was impressed with how well it handled sadly my reaction time was just a tenth of a second too late and my car didn't seem to react at all.

I'm really frustrated that I didn't think to hit the video report button, I saved the video clip so I think I will send them that video in an email and maybe they can look back with the time stamp. I mean with the current hardware setup I don't think there was anything else the car could of done since it clearly didn't see the can laying there. The result I'm sure would of been the same had I of been manually driving but like I said I feel like this is where the radar would of really helped.

@flyhighboi20 Video would be very interesting. Thanks for posting!
Alternative to expensive lidar would be camera that is highly optimized for night vision?
Will
  1. Dual pdaf camera also help, to capture a depth map?
  2. Center mounted roof light be a good idea?
  3. Will matrix led lights eventually solve the problem?
I tried putting the video on my post but it wouldn't let me. It's a mp4 file. I mean like I said, even had I of been manually driving I'm sure the result would of been the same, if you saw the video it's like the thing materialized out of thin air, there was no time and I reacted pretty quick and almost missed it but not fast enough I guess. I have the clip saved and trimmed so if there is an easy way to make it show I will.

I tried putting the video on my post but it wouldn't let me. It's a mp4 file. I mean like I said, even had I of been manually driving I'm sure the result would of been the same, if you saw the video it's like the thing materialized out of thin air, there was no time and I reacted pretty quick and almost missed it but not fast enough I guess. I have the clip saved and trimmed so if there is an easy way to make it show I will.
Can you post it to google drive and share the link? Similarly google photos? Other photo sharing website? Facebook?

...But this is the best I could do for now...

Thanks for the gif picture. It makes what you described much clearer.

Tesla still has a history of being unable to automatically apply brakes for stationary obstacles (no matter in daylight or nighttime).

Pure vision has brought promises but Waymo has been able to deal with this kind of scenario for years.

Reactions: DanCar
...AI addict hits a street barricade in downtown San Jose, about 3:30 into the video...

It looks like very minimal damage with a few green scratches on the white bumper.

So if that pylon was a deer waiting to cross the street, maybe there won't be much damage to the white bumper either.

(OK: I'm trying to be sarcastic!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator857
...about 3:30 into the video...

Tesla still has the problem of the poor ability for collision avoidance, now at very low speed (as opposed to the high-speed collision to first responders' vehicles in the NHTSA investigation). Well, actually, Tesla does collide at a very slow speed as well such as simple summoning out of a garage or smart summon at a parking lot, or Auto Park.

It looks like the brain is not big enough to recognize the green pylons but the orange ones are fine (numerous from the last block and a single one hiding behind a tree below):

Y31RMZo.jpg

"I was looking forward, hand on the wheel then here is this garbage can sitting in the middle of the lane. I slammed the brakes and swerved as much as I could making the tires screech. No warning/action from the Tesla until I was swerving out of the lane and it gave me a "take control immediately vehicle departing lane" warning."

This part makes no sense to me. If he really hit the brakes and swerved, FSD would be disengaged, and you would not then get a "take control" warning.

"I was looking forward, hand on the wheel then here is this garbage can sitting in the middle of the lane. I slammed the brakes and swerved as much as I could making the tires screech. No warning/action from the Tesla until I was swerving out of the lane and it gave me a "take control immediately vehicle departing lane" warning."

This part makes no sense to me. If he really hit the brakes and swerved, FSD would be disengaged, and you would not then get a "take control" warning.

This happens to me sometimes when I'm in full manual control. I get the horrid beeping and "take control vehicle departing lane" warning. I don't know what specific conditions cause this, as normally when I cross a lane line without a turn signal, I just get the vibration in the steering wheel. Every time this has happened to me, it's been a false positive in the sense that I was very intentional what I was doing and didn't need the alert. I was also at low speeds.