Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta and Automatic High Beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
After several hours of night driving and trying different settings, I need your help! Even when I turn off automatic headlights on my 3, it is still flipping between dim and bright like a drunk. Any thoughts how to solve this issue? BTW I always have had auto headlights turned off on both Teslas without a problem until my 3 got the FSD Beta a few weeks ago.

P.S. While this thread is about the auto headlights, I have also noticed phantom braking is ten times worse, which I can only assume is related to the deletion of radar. Note that most of these increased phantom brake events are on rural highways, freeways and interstates, not when City Streets beta is operational. I drove 50 miles on a two lane rural highway last night and the car slowed a bit for almost every passing car as it approached.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
After several hours of night driving and trying different settings, I need your help! Even when I turn off automatic headlights on my 3, it is still flipping between dim and bright like a drunk. Any thoughts how to solve this issue? BTW I always have had auto headlights turned off on both Teslas without a problem until my 3 got the FSD Beta a few weeks ago.
Is this with FSD beta on ? Personally i’ve found it to work fine i.e. it seems to flip the high-beam on and off correctly.

Is this with FSD beta on ? Personally i’ve found it to work fine i.e. it seems to flip the high-beam on and off correctly.
Yes with FSD Beta on. It goes nuts flipping between bright/dim and inappropriately. I’m sure some oncoming traffic have thought I was impaired! At one point I was able to get it on dims and stay there - probably by pushing the stalk as mentioned in another post here. However then I had trouble getting it to bright. When I got it back on bright, it was back on auto. #$&$$@@

In other words I couldn’t select dim and bright manually. Crazy stuff and of course I did try two thumb reset a few times to see if it would help. Spoiler Alert: It didn’t.

Yes with FSD Beta on. It goes nuts flipping between bright/dim and inappropriately. I’m sure some oncoming traffic have thought I was impaired! At one point I was able to get it on dims and stay there - probably by pushing the stalk as mentioned in another post here. However then I had trouble getting it to bright. When I got it back on bright, it was back on auto. #$&$$@@

In other words I couldn’t select dim and bright manually. Crazy stuff and of course I did try two thumb reset a few times to see if it would help. Spoiler Alert: It didn’t.
That’s because it’s resetting to auto high beams each drive due to vision only (FSD beta). Pushing the left stalk forward turns auto high beams off (or on), just like before vision only & FSD beta. The only “manual” high beams is to pull on the left stalk, but that’s the temp/quick high beams of course. Otherwise you can try switching off auto high beams (i.e. - change the behavior of pushing the left stalk) in the quick menu or the lights menu. It’s the blue “A” lights icon. But I haven’t tested whether that works for FSD beta cars now.