Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
..., when a thread has such an obviously "clickbait" thread title, its almost impossible for me to take any of the content seriously. ...
I don't believe the title was chosen based on "clickbait"ness. It was chosen because that is what the OP felt and what felt was the most descriptive title. As predicted earlier and will continue to predict we will continue to see this type of post. Driving is dangerous.

Tesla should welcome the opportunity to investigate this situation and make immediate corrections... they have a poor track record in this regard.
Why does Tesla have a poor track record in this regard? I'm sure Tesla takes it very seriously and are prioritizing this highly. Even Elon said highest priority is to not hit things. As you have shown evidence for, Tesla needs to do this somewhat behind the scenes. If they come out talking publicly, then that gives lawyers ammo for a lawsuit.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
FSD Beta did not attempt to kill you. That's a misleading title and should be removed. It looks like you over corrected and lost control of your car. It happens. Glad you are safe and that no one was hurt. While FSD may allow you to engage under these conditions, I'm not sure it was the best judgement to beta test this feature on a rural two-lane highway going 50 mph at night.

FSD Beta did not attempt to kill you. That's a misleading title and should be removed. It looks like you over corrected and lost control of your car. It happens. Glad you are safe and that no one was hurt. While FSD may allow you to engage under these conditions, I'm not sure it was the best judgement to beta test this feature on a rural two-lane highway going 50 mph at night.
Nonsense... we do not need any heavy-handed censorship on the TMC forums.

So what are you expecting exactly? You over-reacted on a beta product and crashed the car yourself. I have situations like this happen all the time on regular Autopilot, where AP always understeers on curves roads. Probably have had a dozen similar disengagement like this, and all it requires is slight pressure to disengage and bring back to center.

You either were not paying full attention and over-reacted when you saw the car coming, or just simply didn't know how to properly react to a situation like this in which case you should not be driving the beta version. Love when people can't take full responsibility and first reaction is im taking Tesla to court.

You signed up for beta, you agreed to the disclosures, and you took on this risk. Fault is all on you and not Tesla, they did not force you to play with a beta product in dangerous situations ...you did so own it.

Stop brining even more attention to driver error incidents like this, and ruining the fun of everyone else that has not crashed their cars in similar situations.

The onus is on Tesla to ensure this software is being tested in a way that sufficiently mitigates risk to the public who has not consented to participating in the testing. Put it in the hands of the NHTSA, let them procure the data/records from Tesla and get their opinion, and they can either make a change or conclude no action is necessary.

The video clearly shows the FSD steering the vehicle directly into oncoming traffic... creating a potentially fatal situation that was narrowly avoided.
Tesla should welcome the opportunity to investigate this situation and make immediate corrections... they have a poor track record in this regard.
They have 20k testers - and probably get 100k reports a day. This is not some kind of unique opportunity. I've disengaged many times when the car steered wrong - so have almost everyone here. What is unique here is what the driver did.