Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they will try as hard as possible to not pay. If they do, then they set the president that they will pay all future claims. You will have a super asymmetric legal fight without a class action: it will be your lawyer fighting for 20k against Tesla fighting for future unlimited claims by everyone.
+1.

I'd add another angle. It would be dangerous for Tesla to compensate this kind of accident. It is exactly the wrong kind of incentive to make sure testers are super-vigilant.

I mean, nothing is 100%. Just glad the new 10.6 beta is more strict on paying attention.

Not sure if the driver here was using FSD beta or not (no video evidence shown), but either way was clearly not paying attention. Then when they realized they messed up, over corrected.
My FSD is still on 10.3.1. Shouldn't I have received an update yet? Why would it stay on an old version for so long without receiving an update?

• Disagree
Reactions: nvx1977
Glad you are ok! Same thing when I drove thru roundabout. If you don't decrease your speed setting, the car will go crazy with full speed around a curve. First time I used it on a road with speed limit of 45. The car slowed down b4 enter roundabout then it sped up to 50 around the curve and changed lane to a next lane. So I always reduce the speed setting to 30 before entering roundabout! Sometimes the car works beautifully and smoothly. Other time it acts so crazy!.

...resolve this issue out of the public domain...

Thanks for your report. It's very informative for those who are new to "beta".

For me, I don't need any curve at all and it still happens to me. I was on a very clear nice straight road in the city with a very nice clear daylight vision and good weather, my FSD beta just suddenly jerked its steering wheel and swerved into the oncoming traffic on the opposite side that's separated by the double yellow line paint. Fortunately, I did not overcorrect the steering and it was perfectly fine for me.

I wish that doesn't happen but I guess it's part of what "beta" means.

There have been Autopilot lawsuits but so far none has been successful. It's hard to sue or to ask Tesla to pay when the driver acknowledges the risks and consents on the car's display consent form prior to using it.

Reactions: Terminator857
Full Self-Driving is in early limited access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention on the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving is enabled your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving in limited Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations.

Thank you for sharing the story, its good to understand failures others have had and trade stories. I'm glad no one was hurt and it sucks your car got banged up. I would be really unhappy in your situation and would try to share to help out others just like you have.

I've been very nervous in this sort of situation and hold the 'nag prevention torque' away from the hazard, especially going around curves. I've noticed when its applying lots of turning torque its *very* easy to disengage with only 'nag prevention' handholding. I don't know I if I could have reacted quickly enough in your situation but from my training in another field I think it helps to expect and plan for "the worst thing" at all times and stay ahead of the car as far as possible. Its exhausting, I don't use it while causally driving/eating/listening to music/passengers -- I try to make it a task I can focus 100% on. I do relax a bit on the freeway since its using the old AP stack which I know when to trust more or less.

I do think that for the value us beta testers are providing tesla they could have a bit more (any) interaction with the community -- just being heard and responded to would go a LONG way toward better relations and maybe better test data (like: hey in this release we've really concentrated on fixing X, maybe check that out a bit harder on your next drive -- or even just: yeah, we've seen a lot of Y and we're working on it, thanks for letting us know).

Thank you again for sharing!

I bet the posting of the video attracted attention of Tesla. If they require him to remove all posts and not disclose the settlement, then it effectively doesn’t set precedence for future lawsuits.

Tesla’s BATNA is cnn picking up the story, which would suck for them, regardless of who could win a lawsuit.

Let’s see if the OP goes dark to further suggest that this theory is correct.

Thank you for sharing the story, its good to understand failures others have had and trade stories. I'm glad no one was hurt and it sucks your car got banged up. I would be really unhappy in your situation and would try to share to help out others just like you have.

I've been very nervous in this sort of situation and hold the 'nag prevention torque' away from the hazard, especially going around curves. I've noticed when its applying lots of turning torque its *very* easy to disengage with only 'nag prevention' handholding. I don't know I if I could have reacted quickly enough in your situation but from my training in another field I think it helps to expect and plan for "the worst thing" at all times and stay ahead of the car as far as possible. Its exhausting, I don't use it while causally driving/eating/listening to music/passengers -- I try to make it a task I can focus 100% on. I do relax a bit on the freeway since its using the old AP stack which I know when to trust more or less.

I do think that for the value us beta testers are providing tesla they could have a bit more (any) interaction with the community -- just being heard and responded to would go a LONG way toward better relations and maybe better test data (like: hey in this release we've really concentrated on fixing X, maybe check that out a bit harder on your next drive -- or even just: yeah, we've seen a lot of Y and we're working on it, thanks for letting us know).

Thank you again for sharing!
I agree with what you said. If I was 100% focus and encounter the case in the video, I would be applying the nag prevention torque to the 4 o’clock position and the evasive move from the FSD would likely disengage itself. This require myself to constantly change the torque applying position to counter possible danger and it was exhausting. I also got impatient and less responsive if my wife or kid talked to me while I was using FSD, can’t imagine it is good for the family relationship but safety first. Even like this, I still encountered a dangerous situation if you search my post in the main experience thread.

Last edited:
Unless one of the mods here can confirm that Tesla asked that the video be removed, it could have been taken down for a variety of reasons. My guess is that the OP's attorney suggested it be removed as the video could be interpreted as showing at least some driver error. In any case, the situation that occurred is instructive. If you have FSD beta engaged, you are still the Pilot in Command. You've been told numerous times that FSD beta may do the wrong thing at the worst time. That warning is somewhat like the warning displayed at downhill ski areas. People still get hurt skiing and lawyers will still sue.

I bet the posting of the video attracted attention of Tesla. If they require him to remove all posts and not disclose the settlement, then it effectively doesn’t set precedence for future lawsuits.

Tesla’s BATNA is cnn picking up the story, which would suck for them, regardless of who could win a lawsuit.

Let’s see if the OP goes dark to further suggest that this theory is correct.

The OP may have joined here in 2019 but this was their first post. The expectation would be that they would "go dark".