Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless one of the mods here can confirm that Tesla asked that the video be removed, it could have been taken down for a variety of reasons.

Tesla does not interact with moderators here in this way. Additionally, IF the mods had "done something" to it, it would have been deleted from the POST, not deleted from wherever this OP uploaded it.

There is nothing here for "a mod" to confirm.

...OP's attorney suggested it be removed as the video could be interpreted as showing at least some driver error...

But the incriminating words are still there. He "lost control":

"I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods."

But the incriminating words are still there. He "lost control":

"I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods."

The OP could control taking down the video where it is posted (wherever it was linked). The OP can not control what their post says once the edit time has passed, and for the opening post in a new thread, that would be like 5 minutes. I dont moderate this subforum, but would not be in the least surprised if the mod for this subform has a report from the OP asking for either editing, or deletion.

No inside knowledge on this, its not like the mods are discussing this thread separately or anything. This is just a guess, based on how this has played out so far.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
The video clearly shows the FSD steering the vehicle directly into oncoming traffic... creating a potentially fatal situation that was narrowly avoided.
Tesla should welcome the opportunity to investigate this situation and make immediate corrections... they have a poor track record in this regard.
and clearly my old Camry's cruise control would crash if I didn't pay attention.

He lost control at night, FSD seemed to jerk him towards the oncoming lane, he jerked it the opposite way, which caused the car to swerve off the road into someone’s yard. To lose control like that made it seem he was going over the speed limit.

Luckily he was attentive and immediately took control.

Reactions: Terminator857
There are so many unknowns here...
It's a case of overcorrection. I think if a beta tester has experienced this kind of situation enough, the beta tester would know how to prevent this bad outcome even when FSD would misbehave.

That could be: Not using it in the dark, at that kind of speed, that kind of curve...

Ladies and gentlemen this is the Captain speaking…the auto pilot has a glitch and I can’t cope with it….so I’m ridding instead of commanding, and we’re all just along for the ride. Hang on- the b**ch is going to buck. I’ll blame it on the avionics manufacturers just as soon as I get her on the ground. 😳😎

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
Glad you are ok! Same thing when I drove thru roundabout. If you don't decrease your speed setting, the car will go crazy with full speed around a curve. First time I used it on a road with speed limit of 45. The car slowed down b4 enter roundabout then it sped up to 50 around the curve and changed lane to a next lane. So I always reduce the speed setting to 30 before entering roundabout! Sometimes the car works beautifully and smoothly. Other time it acts so crazy!.
Do you also notice that manually lowering the set speed seems to take forever for the car to slow? I always jog the speed down for some railroad crossings (I don’t wanna get big big air over railroad tracks) and the car doesn’t react quickly at all. It just coasts forever to the speed I set it at. I notice sometimes even when the car is supposed to react to speed zone changes, it takes forever? Not particularly good behavior, and probably would end up with a speeding ticket in some cases.

Once upon a time I test drove an Audi with “speed limit assist”. Worked like a charm. It’s worked well on my Tesla prior to the beta too.

Other drivers didn't signup to be Guinea Pigs to Tesla 's quest for robotaxis. If the Tesla would have hit that car there would have been a Huge lawsuit. Regardless of BETA testing and tesla saying drivers are responsible if the car crashes. It is Tesla and the driver who will be on the hook for damages. There are so many videos of FSD beta messing up I'm surprised Tesla lets drivers actually video tape it. Why was the video of this incident taken down? Maybe it shows Tesla in a very bad spotlight. I really don't care if a Tesla driver wrecks his car due to correcting a FSD mistake. I do care when people could get hurt. Including Tesla drivers.

Someone on Twitter has (apparently) reposted a segment of the YouTube video here. It's easy to armchair quarterback this kind of stuff and think you'd do better if this happened to you. But the disengagement torque is not insignificant and can cause a jerk. It looks to me like that initial steering in an attempt to break out of FSD and swerve the car back broke the rear end loose. Like the OP mentions, we're talking sub-second actions here. These are nearly subconscious behaviors.

Overcorrection should be an expected human behavior from the AP team. This sort of thing is widely known in the industry. Even rumble strips can cause overcorrection and loss of control from a sleepy driver. Like others here, I find FSD development exciting and have personally enjoyed having beta access to it. But everyone here should be aware of the risks and be extremely cautious to not overestimate our own ability to recover from a stupid FSD behavior in time.

a sleepy driver.
Or distracted. It’s important to be super vigilant and on top of your game all the time. That’s I would not use FSD Beta for more than 30 minutes.

BTW, this thing could have easily happened with AP available to everyone - I don’t think this is AP specific.

Anyway, if and when Tesla releases the log details we’ll know exactly what happened. I’d be cautious about jumping to conclusions by looking at just the camera video.

Thanks for the video link on Twitter. I watched this a few times and it’s freaking scary. I was a racer in my younger days and have countless hours on tracks and I think I’d have a similar outcome. I think the problem is two fold:

1. The human reaction to those headlights bearing down on you is to brake and pull the car back into the lane. The younger you are, the faster your reflex’s will be. Faster means more instability.

2. The physics of that natural reaction would severally unbalance the car. Combined with the torque street caused when you take control of the fsd and disengage it, the car will have even more unbalance.

Tires can only do one thing 100%. They can brakes, turn, or have traction 100%. In a corner, you’re asking the outside tires to grip (traction) and turn. So maybe the front tires were using 30% turning and 70% traction. The outside rear would be like 100% traction. But when you disengage fsd you immediately throw the weight balance of the car to the outside front tire and the inside rear tire has much less than 100% traction because a lot of the weight is being shifted from the middle of the car to the front. Think of a teeter totter and you just dropped 75% of the weight of the car on the left front tire, flinging the right rear off the ground (figuratively) leaving it with very little adhesion.

People need to remember that Tesla’s are still cars rolling on rubber tires that have limits. The same physics apply to them as any other car. The cars aren’t on some magical rail system when fsd is engaged.

Tesla’s regenerative braking would also add more traction to the front and shift the weight forward. So when this happened, the cars weight quickly shifted forward by a large percentage and the left front tire all of a sudden had a ton of traction while turning, so the car would naturally try to rotate right, the direction it’s pointed.

I would love to have some people do a simulation on iRacing and see how that works out. I’d bet 95 out of a 100 people would be in the ditch, me included. Some would even roll-over after double over-correcting and tripping in the ditch. Some people would have ending up in that house! This accident could have been a lot worse.

Over all, I think the driver did a good of a job in that situation. But, he probably shouldn’t have been carrying that much speed into a corner at night using fsd. Dialing back the speed can save lives when using fsd. Just knocking off 15% of his speed would have changed the outcome.

Reporting it to Tesla will help the developers. Suing them? For what? He signed up for beta fsd with all of its warning and disclaimers.

He signed up for a beta software program that clearly has high risks and low rewards. I tried it for two months and didn’t care for it. I liked the parking features, which should be standard with all Tesla’s since it’s standard on pretty much every car in this price range - but that another rant for another day. Other than parking help, I like the regular old auto pilot. It works great for me.

I’m glad no one got hurt. This is just a car that can be repaired or replaced. When you sign up for the risks, you take all the risks - including the possibly of having an insurance claim. I feel for the guy and I’m sorry it happened to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarbonPear
Wow, I just saw the video. This is nothing new with FSD beta. In fact, I used 10.6 an hour ago, and it tried to ram me into a double parked semi truck.

With the beta, whenever I sense ANY risk (especially an oncoming car on a 2 lane road), I am driving with my hands on the wheel. If FSD beta decides to deviate from my intended drive in any way, it's automatically disengaged.

It's unfortunate this happened, and it's not surprising honestly, but it's the nature of FSD beta: constant vigilance and hands on wheel.

That's quite a video, yikes! With a couple months' experience with the beta, I'm on a constant hair-trigger alert for it to do something unexpected. Though so far it hasn't done anything quite as scary as this! At first I wondered if the driver may have inadvertently disabled FSD a few seconds before, allowing it to passively drift across the double yellow line, but in the video it does look like an active leftward jerk, implicating FSD, and also making recovery very difficult/unstable no matter how much attention the driver is paying. Driving with the beta (when done carefully and responsibly) is low-risk but not zero-risk, and this to me looks like one of the unfortunate nonzero-risk edge cases.

FWIW, all my own FSD drives are done with an interior wide-angle camera recording the display and out the front windshield. (GoPro suction-mounted to my Model 3 roof with a short gooseneck extension.) That way I have a lot more information to work with when I encounter failures; often it's possible to identify what led FSD astray based on the road visualization. It will be interesting to see what other information emerges from the car's telemetry, if Tesla chooses to release it.

Last edited:
I have had similar departures occur on curved and straight roads with and without a car coming the other way. To mitigate the inherent FSD risk I do my best to keep positive pressure on the wheel away from the center or side line whether on a straight or curved road. To much pressure and FSD disengages, but you have all the slack taken out of the system so you can return to your right of way quicker. It does cause a couple more disengagements over a single run than you could normally get away with, but for me it’s worth it. I use the technique to guard against whichever side of the road offers the most peril. I can definitely see that if you have not been through a departure before that the reaction to it could easily be over done, more so on a corner at speed with opposing traffic than on a straight away.