Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't you say FSD beta is a great step in AV progression and a nerd's dream come true ?

You have done nothing of that sort. You have only read, apparently, my posts in this thread. Go read all my posts in the following threads and stop lying continuoulsy. And then - show me all your posts where you have been positive about Tesla.

And finally I'll leave you with this ..

Appreciate the evidence of integrity.
I can't vote for FSD beta being a great step for autonomous vehicles It is pretty far from autonomous and mostly a hype gimmick that introduces new risks. But a nerd's dream is agreed.

The OP was certainly lucky. Nobody has established Tesla’s liability yet
Whatever reason for the line-crossing wheel jerk; Tesla was certainly lucky. The company will not be able to deal with their advanced FSD getting flamed for running over innocent kids.

Even mildly hinting that the OP constructed this case is a bit too far for me.

Whatever reason for the line-crossing wheel jerk; Tesla was certainly lucky. The company will not be able to deal with their advanced FSD getting flamed for running over innocent kids.

Even mildly hinting that the OP constructed this case is a bit too far for me.
I don’t think the OP ‘constructed this case’. It’s just a question of liability. If the car took off on it’s own and got in an accident then it’s Tesla’s fault. But as long as there is a driver in the car then it has to be the driver’s responsibility. This is called FSD but that doesn’t mean it is, just as a hover board doesn’t actually hover and I can’t make a strudel out of an IPhone.
It is supervised driving, and if there is an incident then the oversight was lacking. It’s no big deal there are car accidents every moment of the day and night. Everyone walked away.
We are level two although next year you can buy a level five Apple car......

Reactions: T-Mom and bhzmark
There's a comment in the Jalopnik article claiming the person who posted the video had other videos of him using FSD Beta without his hands on it:
"This guy has other videos of him simply not having his hands on the wheel, which is entirely against the point of the beta. Had he simply held the wheel enough to let the curve continue, it would have disengaged and continued."
Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta Causes Accident With Model Y
The video is still up at Jalopnik... seems to clearly show that continuing on the current path with FSD would have resulted in a serious head-on collision.

"The video begins with the Model Y rounding a long, gentle curve on a two-lane road. As another vehicle approaches the Tesla in the opposing lane, the Model Y straightens its steering to send the electric crossover on a path for a head-on collision. The driver reacts quickly to retake control from the Full Self-Driving Beta and pull their Model Y back to the right.

However, the force needed to disengage “FSD” and avoid the head-on collision caused the driver to overcorrect. The driver lost control of the Model Y, and the vehicle slid off the road. The crossover fell into and then launched out of a small ditch along the side of the road. The Tesla bounced over the terrain before coming to a stop near a home. The description of the YouTube post stated that the Model Y’s frame and suspension were significantly damaged
."

Last edited:
The video is still up at Jalopnik... seems to clearly show that continuing on the current path with FSD would have resulted in a serious head-on collision.

"The video begins with the Model Y rounding a long, gentle curve on a two-lane road. As another vehicle approaches the Tesla in the opposing lane, the Model Y straightens its steering to send the electric crossover on a path for a head-on collision. The driver reacts quickly to retake control from the Full Self-Driving Beta and pull their Model Y back to the right.

However, the force needed to disengage “FSD” and avoid the head-on collision caused the driver to overcorrect. The driver lost control of the Model Y, and the vehicle slid off the road. The crossover fell into and then launched out of a small ditch along the side of the road. The Tesla bounced over the terrain before coming to a stop near a home. The description of the YouTube post stated that the Model Y’s frame and suspension were significantly damaged
."
There's lots of places with the original video or a cut of it, but no place shows the other videos that were supposedly on his channel nor videos that show the FSD view or the view of his hands on the steering wheel. That part I think is more interesting to people.

Related to this there are two main issues I have with the safety of FSD Beta.

The first is you can't do subtle steering correction. Most of the corrections I want to do are mild where its going to far one way or another, but there is no way to correct it without taking over completely which is often more jarring than I want.

The second is if you take over using steering that it doesn't cancel out of TACC. So there is no full take over unless you steering, and slightly brake at the same time.

That is scary AF. Very easy to overcorrect into a ditch there it seems.

10.5 was a very good release and I am currious if there are similar issues with that release.

I got the update to 10.6.1 but I think I will just roll with 10.5 for a while.
To me that shows two things.

The driver wasn't holding the steering wheel tightly enough with both hands. With every single version of FSD Beta I've tried it has occasionally done a "I want to kill you" sudden twerk of the steering wheel. It's why I use two hands with the Beta. It's so I can tell the car "Not today". I think it listens to me insult it, and it gets really mad. :p

The driver way over-corrected. It was way more than was necessary, and seems to have been a freak out moment.

Last edited:
Related to this there are two main issues I have with the safety of FSD Beta.

The first is you can't do subtle steering correction. Most of the corrections I want to do are mild where its going to far one way or another, but there is no way to correct it without taking over completely which is often more jarring than I want.

The second is if you take over using steering that it doesn't cancel out of TACC. So there is no full take over unless you steering, and slightly brake at the same time.
This is my issue with AP also. On all other brands one steer with the car, but system is still engaged. It is so nice to tighten the turn just a bit when I feel it is drifting a bit wide in the bend. Or make room for a lane splitting motorcycle etc.

Tesla has rather designed their system as "hands off". You are not supposed to steer the car with system enabled, or it will disable. Hold to hard in the wheel, and it disables. If not steering with same rate as the car and it disables. A poor user interface for level 2 system, but nice for a level 4. They where ahead of their time.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.
Not sure what your point is? You over reacted and want Tesla to be responsible? This is an imperfect system at current state and that is made well aware to users including us who only have auto pilot. I’ve had plenty of similar steering wheel movements that have had to be corrected but have not crashed my car. Good luck.

This is my issue with AP also. On all other brands one steer with the car, but system is still engaged. It is so nice to tighten the turn just a bit when I feel it is drifting a bit wide in the bend. Or make room for a lane splitting motorcycle etc.

Tesla has rather designed their system as "hands off". You are not supposed to steer the car with system enabled, or it will disable. Hold to hard in the wheel, and it disables. If not steering with same rate as the car and it disables. A poor user interface for level 2 system, but nice for a level 4. They where ahead of their time.

The Model 3/Y are designed so much around autonomous driving that one would think they would come with cassette toilets with a heated toilet and washlet.

Reactions: daktari
That video shows *nothing* to do with FSD or even AP.

And here is where you show that you're disingenuous, and willing to ignore hard evidence to further a false narrative. There are a dozen or more links to FSD doing this exact same thing in all types of conditions and you're just ignoring them like it doesn't exist. This video ABSOLUTELY shows a continuation of a clear pattern of behavior. But none of that matters to the zealot, and why would it? You're completely happy to stack bodies on the pyre if it means Elon looks smart.

You haters are so gullible.

This is the hilarious part. I'm literally feet away from my Model 3, and I've made great gains on my shares which I've been holding since 2016. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe some of us care about the outcome? Maybe some of us want Tesla to be better and not bare minimum effort that's attracting more and more scrutiny every day? Can you not conceive of advocates actually advocating for something better to be done here? Again, in the fact of countless videos of FSD doing this exact same thing, your reaction is "NUH UH!!!!!!" and mine is "Tesla needs to put a stop to this before someone dies". And I'm the gullible hater? You need to rethink how you value human life, dude.

Yet it literally says keep your hands on the wheel when engaging and will nag you if it doesn't detect your hands.

There are a dozen or more links to FSD doing this exact same
You linked to a bunch of them with no timestamps. Link to some with timestamps, then I'll analyze the videos.

Ofcourse, just because it happened in other places doesn't mean it happened here. Reverse, because we don't have videos it didn't happen elsewhere, it didn't happen here.

That is why establishing facts and not jumping to conclusions like you are doing is important. Like in the Texas accident or the Chinese sensational accusations.

Let me make it clear - the whole circumstances surrounding this allegation by OP (that is exactly what it is at this point, not "proof" but allegation) stinks. One post, video deleted, not another comment.

Ofcourse you guys want to defend him a lot more than he himself has ever tried to ;)

"Tesla needs to put a stop to this before someone dies".
I HATE this hypocrisy. If you are so worried about people dying what have you done to make sure the world remains shut so not one more person dies of the pandemic ? How about making sure EVERY car has perfect emergency braking so nobody dies ?

Last edited:
Yet it literally says keep your hands on the wheel when engaging and will nag you if it doesn't detect your hands.
Yes, all of that added later, not from the debut, with more and more frequent nags added after some serious accidents we all remember. One could almost believe they designed it without the proper sensors, thinking no nags necessary ever, the torque sensor being a workaraound.

Anyway, point was, it still doesn't let you steer with the car. Either the car is steering or you are steering. Not both, it is binary.

Anyway, point was, it still doesn't let you steer with the car. Either the car is steering or you are steering. Not both, it is binary.
I've made it a point to always try and disengage FSD with the stalk (or brake pedal, when appropriate). Disengaging with the steering wheel is...less than ideal. While I agree it's strange that the video was pulled and the OP went dark, I could absolutely see FSD doing this, thus leading to an accidental over-correction by the driver. I'm not gonna play the blame game though. It happened, it sucks, and we all (drivers + Tesla as a company) should strive to do better.