Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Beneficial for Long Commuters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to hear if any current FSD beta testers are daily, long, commuters. I commute a mind numbing 2.5-3.0 hours a day in stop and go traffic averaging 15-25 mph at best. The driver monitoring concept is good overall, but hearing about how sensitive it has been, especially at 10.2 launch, I’m not sure if it’ll be more of a nuisance then a benefit since 98% of my daily driving is freeway. Thoughts?

If 98% is highway, I would venture Autopilot (which also has driver monitoring) is the prudent choice. FSD adds all the things needed off highway. If you are trying to decide whether or not to drop the $10k, get the car and pay $200 for a month and then make the decision. The only downside to doing things that way is you won't be able to roll that into the loan.

Reactions: momo3605
Curious to hear if any current FSD beta testers are daily, long, commuters. I commute a mind numbing 2.5-3.0 hours a day in stop and go traffic averaging 15-25 mph at best. The driver monitoring concept is good overall, but hearing about how sensitive it has been, especially at 10.2 launch, I’m not sure if it’ll be more of a nuisance then a benefit since 98% of my daily driving is freeway. Thoughts?
Can't imagine using the 10.2 for 3 hours a day. Could be very stressful (unless you quickly figure out where it does well and where it needs interventions). May be you should stick to AP.

Reactions: helvio
Do we know if 10.2 FSD Beta changes over completely to production autopilot on the freeway? I agree with what was said and would not trust 10.2 beyond what a 15 year old learner's permit driver would do, but given 10.2 isn't single stack yet and UI switches to regular AP on highways, I'm wondering if I'd be able to ease up a bit for highway driving? Aside from the concern of 10.2 quirks carrying over to highway, I was concerned about the monitoring system since it sounds like I wouldn't be able to check Waze or dial a call...something quick you could normally do on production AP.

I have paid for FSD and should qualify this weekend with the 99 scores, but if even highway requires intense monitoring I'm not sure I'll opt-in.

...Thoughts?...

If you can afford $10,000 then it's great.

If you can't, Autopilot is good enough for your case.

Paying more for FSD does not mean it improves your Autopilot performance. If you Autopilot can't handle a particular curve of death, then FSD won't improve that either.

What added FSD features that I like:

I like Auto Lane Change: It works most of the time.
Auto Highway Exit: I don't miss exits anymore because I am frequently distracted.