Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Button in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’m at least 5 years away of ever letting my hands off of the steering wheel on my M3, FSD or not.
I just worry that the sensor inputs are not that good in the first place. The cameras don’t seem to be particularly high resolution or have a particularly good view at a distance (assuming, of course, that what FSD “sees” is what we see on Sentry Mode footage).
I know I’m getting old and risk-averse but I suspect we’ll see someone on the moon again before FSD is even half as good a promised.

Despite my previous bad experiences of phantom braking, last two weekends on the M1/M69/M6 AP has actually been very good, including auto lane change at 'appropriate' lane 3 speeds :).

Infact Navigate on Autopilot was so easy to use today for a trip 70 mile errand I choose to take the longer route via the M1 rather than an A road because Autopilot. It does still get confused at speed change intervals between certain M-way junctions. But overall actually surprisingly good, cannot wait to try FSD beta when ever it arrives in the UK.

Despite my previous bad experiences of phantom braking, last two weekends on the M1/M69/M6 AP has actually been very good, including auto lane change at 'appropriate' lane 3 speeds :).

Infact Navigate on Autopilot was so easy to use today for a trip 70 mile errand I choose to take the longer route via the M1 rather than an A road because Autopilot. It does still get confused at speed change intervals between certain M-way junctions. But overall actually surprisingly good, cannot wait to try FSD beta when ever it arrives in the UK.
The suspected cause of things like phantom braking and odd behaviour are shadows, shadow angles, and other light artefacts and therefore it's entirely possible to have days, weeks and even months when things appear to be better but the improvement isn't from the software it's from these external factors changing, except they'll change back again. We accept range improves when its warmer not because tesla have magically improved efficiency, and when the weather changes back it will get worse again. That said, it may have genuinely improved. I just wouldn't count on a weekend as evidence of improvement just yet.

On the regulations, I think it's a deflection for the generally poor performance like aborting mid corner. I've not seen anyone articulate how they think it will be better in the UK if the regulations were more relaxed with maybe the exception of advanced summon and I personally have my doubts on that. As an example I find the recommended lane change when on NoA is only right 60-70% of the time on busy motorways (both missing plenty of opportunities and going on a suicide mission at other times) and if the car changed lanes automatically I'd have turned the feature off by now.

Definitely will not see the FSD beta button here for a long time still.

Localisation was asked about during AI Day and they were very clear that they want to get the US done first before looking to other countries.

I don't know UK market size, but I doubt it is that appealing to be early in the rollout. So, unless the regulations make UK an attractive prospect, I think it'll be a while.

On the plus side. What they've done is amazing. If they really did train the system to work without radar in 3 months, and now supposedly retrained the entire NN including for highways pretty fast too. The training rate is increasing rapidly and that rollout to other countries may be a lot quicker than it was in the US where they've manufactured the system to create the systems.

I'd just like to have the visualisation of the latest FSD. Surely that can't be difficult to do...
The visualisations are a byproduct of the underlying ground-up rewrite.
I can't see Musky maintaining 2 versions of the code.
There's no requirement for any additional button - the advanced software feature is there for that, if musky wants something else it should simply be advanced plus.
The UK's a small market, RHD is an annoyance for Americans

Knowing what I know now, as in the pace of FSD development as regards to UNECE-encumbered countries, I don’t think I would’ve bought FSD (probably would’ve got EAP though, which wasn’t available when I bought my car and is - I believe - a tacit admission that FSD isn’t worth the price of entry in the UK, without having to admit that by discounting it)

I think there’s blame on both sides. The UNECE rules seem, to me, to be oppressive when you consider that people aren’t dying every day in the States from errant Summons etc, and overall the car appears to be more purposeful in the States. At the same time FSD development has been glacial, and as far as non-US markets are concerned - non-existent. I think the only notable development I’ve seen since buying the car is the “Traffic Light Stop and Go” thing, which is not saying a lot.

Worst of all, and I can’t really blame anyone but myself for this, is that FSD stays with the car and confers absolutely no benefit to the owner if they sell the car before being in a position to benefit from it. There’s no loyalty or onward discount on the next car.

I’ve subsequently read about people who bought FSD based on “coming this/next year” promises back in 2017 or so. Those people will have likely sold their cars without realising any benefit at all from buying FSD, beyond a “warm fuzzy” feeling thinking they’ve contributed towards its development (which is by no means certain).

When I bought my car in 2020 and bought FSD I naively thought there would probably be some substantial benefit to doing so by the end of that year. As things stand it’s only the States that are seeing movement, a year later than I expected. I have no reason to believe at this point that the morass of UNECE regulations and Tesla’s US-centric development that we’ll see anything in Europe worth shouting about for at least another year, possibly even longer in the UK with our unique RHD environment.

It’s disappointing really. Still, at least I can move my car slowly forwards and backwards when I’m washing it.

There are few things less reliable than the automatic wipers in light rain but one of those things is Musks ability to predict accurate timescales.

One day it will appear... and if/when it happens it may well be great... but we have heard this time and time again. As for the UK.. not a chance in the medium term.

There are few things less reliable than the automatic wipers in light rain but one of those things is Musks ability to predict accurate timescales.

One day it will appear... and if/when it happens it may well be great... but we have heard this time and time again. As for the UK.. not a chance in the medium term.
24.4 seems to have fixed the wipers (well for me anyway)

Reactions: M3noob and KennethS
Knowing what I know now, as in the pace of FSD development as regards to UNECE-encumbered countries, I don’t think I would’ve bought FSD (probably would’ve got EAP though, which wasn’t available when I bought my car and is - I believe - a tacit admission that FSD isn’t worth the price of entry in the UK, without having to admit that by discounting it)

I think there’s blame on both sides. The UNECE rules seem, to me, to be oppressive when you consider that people aren’t dying every day in the States from errant Summons etc, and overall the car appears to be more purposeful in the States. At the same time FSD development has been glacial, and as far as non-US markets are concerned - non-existent. I think the only notable development I’ve seen since buying the car is the “Traffic Light Stop and Go” thing, which is not saying a lot.

Worst of all, and I can’t really blame anyone but myself for this, is that FSD stays with the car and confers absolutely no benefit to the owner if they sell the car before being in a position to benefit from it. There’s no loyalty or onward discount on the next car.

I’ve subsequently read about people who bought FSD based on “coming this/next year” promises back in 2017 or so. Those people will have likely sold their cars without realising any benefit at all from buying FSD, beyond a “warm fuzzy” feeling thinking they’ve contributed towards its development (which is by no means certain).

When I bought my car in 2020 and bought FSD I naively thought there would probably be some substantial benefit to doing so by the end of that year. As things stand it’s only the States that are seeing movement, a year later than I expected. I have no reason to believe at this point that the morass of UNECE regulations and Tesla’s US-centric development that we’ll see anything in Europe worth shouting about for at least another year, possibly even longer in the UK with our unique RHD environment.

It’s disappointing really. Still, at least I can move my car slowly forwards and backwards when I’m washing it.
Nothing I can disagree with there. The only thing I’d add is that whatever function, control or operation you use, there is no consistency, whether it be wipers speed sign reaction, phantom braking, voice control and so on. The list is endless!
Only yesterday I was using TACC in a 30 zone, passed a pedestrian on the pavement and having passed, him the car braked and slowed to 25. I’d understand if he’d been close to the kerb and the braking happened before i got to him! There is so much potential that can be utilised but just too much unfinished business. It’s best summed up by saying “everything almost works”

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
I’m trying to understand this, I thought FSD beta was already available in the UK as it has been an option on UK for for a long time, and many people already have it? Can someone please fill in what I am missing?

When people talk about FSD beta they are usually referring the the extremely limited FSD City Streets beta only available to a very select (mostly Tesla employees) in the US. At present, many parts of Tesla functionality is beta, but FSD City Streets beta is far more limited than those general release features.

Until FSD City Streets becomes a thing, Autopilot/FSD is only for 'highways' use.

Reactions: teaston
When people talk about FSD beta they are usually referring the the extremely limited FSD City Streets beta only available to a very select (mostly Tesla employees) in the US. At present, many parts of Tesla functionality is beta, but FSD City Streets beta is far more limited than those general release features.

Until FSD City Streets becomes a thing, Autopilot/FSD is only for 'highways' use.
Thanks for the explanation! So many articles and YouTube videos didn’t explain this simple definition.

Reactions: MrBadger